Could this be a disaster?

Kojo

Sorry for the negativity, but i just want to know what all your thoughts are, because mine aren't good at all.

I said i hope AVB gets sacked if he doesn't sign a creative midfielder, and he didn't, and yes i want him out of this club. I know no one could make a great team out of the players we have, and especially in AVB's system, but there's just something wrong with him. How can you not even sign anyone this summer?, and i don't mean Gary Cahill a centre back who we pretty much needed by law because we only had 2, and KDB (who i was happy about), but he's on loan till the end of the season. Last season i thought it was just one of them seasons every big club has, we were always saying every club has had a season like this, but this has gotten even worse. We can't defend, and we can't score, at the begining of the season we couldn't defend but we could score, now we can't even put the goals in. Our options are shocking, the bench is just, it's just rejects and people who i don't want to see in the club usually.

Last season we lost 3-0 to Sunderland at home, i was gobsmacked and it was probably one of our worst defeats under Abramovich, but we had reasons too, with Drogba not even been able to run on the pitch, but AVB somehow managed to take it to a completely different level and we lose 5-3 to Arsenal at home, 3-1 to Aston Villa at home, 2-1 to liverpool at home then 2-0 at home the week after against Liverpool. The only big game we won was against City, and City were piss poor in that match, but can't take away our effort we did what we had to do and we pressured them created chances and where the better team. But then we had about 4 draws after that, to average and terrible teams, besides Spurs.

In my opinion we are the worst team in the top 6, Man City, in a bit of trouble with suspensions at the moment and african cup of nations but will recover and are still the best team in the premier league, Man United much better than us, better chemistry and better options and players, Arsenal we might just have better players but there football is much better, Arsenal may lose games and not be able to dig out results when needed but they create chances every single game and good ones. Liverpool they are a very good team defensivly, play great in big games, just lack the goal against teams they should beat, but they still create tonnes of chances. Spurs, they are working brilliant together, and with Gareth Bale, Modric, Van Der Vaart, Parker and Adebayor how can you not, they are doing very well and should finish top 4 this season and could challenge for title.

And... then you get Chelsea, the team who you can't say has a good defence, the team who you can't say, well there defence isn't that good but they are good at creating chances, and that team who loses against every big team and is likely to draw against all the others. Our team is just piss poor, i don't know if it's just me being negative, but look at our games recently, they have been shocking, at least other teams create chances all the time, i will give us credit for scraping out results, thats what world class teams do and maybe we do have that old mentallity, but it's not good enough and this time it wont be fooling anybody.

Cech

Ivanovic-Luiz-Terry-Cole

Ramires-Romeu-Essien

Sturridge-Drogba-Mata

In my opinion our best team, but that team could win say what 2-0, then go on a drawing streak, because we cant have consistency, because these players don't fit, Sturridge might adapt but we should still have a right winger, because he's inconsistent, Mata only worldclass player and hopefully will be in our team for a while, Drogba has to go at the end of the season, only one who can work with the team even if he doesn't want to but still not good enough, Essien came back from injury and probably will never be great again, might just be good that's about it. Romeu quality but to young needs time and he can't be relied on and play every game, Ramires, brilliant player but needs better players around him to show his true abillity, we can't rely on him otherwise he wont flourish and we wont get the best out of him, the defence well Terry can't play highline, and will probably have to depart if the highline does get instructed by AVB (if hes somehow still here) or another manager comes and enforces highline, Luiz he will learn but this season will probably not be his season, Cole plays every game needs a rest, Ivanovic great player and it's good to have him. Cech not been his best this season and it's a shame but he might be able to pick up.

Now at the moment in this season, it's been dreadful, teams are getting stronger, Liverpool for example, Arsenal are starting to drop but they will probably pick up when Wilshere gets back and they can rest Ramsey and such, and we have 3 teams miles ahead of us, 4th place just seems very hard to get, because we are not good enough in my opinion. Our midfield doesn't have a passer in when it should, its full of defensive minded players and you can't just have that in a 3 man midfield, defence isn't fit for highline with Terry in, Sturridge is adapting but still needs to learn to cross and get more involved in the game when times aren't going well.

On goals on Sunday they were saying this and in a way they might be right, we should probably play 4-4-2, because then we have options such as

Cech

Ivanovic/Bosingwa-Luiz/Cahill-Terry/Cahill-Cole/Bertrand

Ramires/Sturridge-Essien/Ramires-Meireles/Lampard-Mata

Sturridge/Mata-Torres/Drogba/Lukaku

Sorry to make it a bit confusing like that, but i think we have better options in a 4-4-2, in a 4-3-3 our midfield isn't good enough it's too defensive minded, we can never get the ball to the front 3, many people complain in almost every match about the front 3 getting missing, and it's because our midfield can't pass the ball or get it to the front 3 in anyway, there's no consistency, Ramires isn't a passer, can only pass good when he's on form, Meireles kicks out a good pass once every 4 games, Essien used to have a very good creative side when he used it but now i doubt it.

So now that i've shared my thoughts hope others can share theres, and sorry for the long post, just best to get it out now :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly why we can't get rid of AVB. This all will start from scratch with another manager and he will struggle, his head will be called yet again. What AVB needs is a full season behind him, that is the real assessment, not the pre-season when they had low-pressure games against nobody sides. Sure, he had real assessment for 6 months, but January isn't the right window to start doing radical changes... Our transfer targets were all spot on, we just couldn't get their signatures (hardly AVB's fault, he isn't the negotiator). If you look at the January window in general, hardly any teams made big marquee signings.. January is inflated and because of FFP teams are more cautious in spending above someone's value. Of course, it could have gone better, but for one reason or another it didn't...

I realize AVB is talking all this he's happy with his squad bullshit, but you can see from his face when he's on the sideline that he isn't satisfied not one bit. He's mentioned the word "project" for next season, that means we can expect big changes in summer and the summer after. This season has been bollocks up to this point and I don't think even AVB realized that it can get so bad in terms of creative and defensive issues. Despite all we're hanging on to 4th place and it all depends whether we can grind out a top 4 place or not. If yes, then this season will have been a success nevertheless, it will provide a good platform to move forward and never look back.. If not, then it will be interesting to see how this situation will be dealt with (taking into consideration that CL money is important in terms of FFP as Gourlay said).

That's exactly why we can't get rid of AVB. This all will start from scratch with another manager and he will struggle, his head will be called yet again. What AVB needs is a full season behind him, that is the real assessment, not the pre-season when they had low-pressure games against nobody sides. Sure, he had real assessment for 6 months, but January isn't the right window to start doing radical changes... Our transfer targets were all spot on, we just couldn't get their signatures (hardly AVB's fault, he isn't the negotiator). If you look at the January window in general, hardly any teams made big marquee signings.. January is inflated and because of FFP teams are more cautious in spending above someone's value. Of course, it could have gone better, but for one reason or another it didn't...

I realize AVB is talking all this he's happy with his squad bullshit, but you can see from his face when he's on the sideline that he isn't satisfied not one bit. He's mentioned the word "project" for next season, that means we can expect big changes in summer and the summer after. This season has been bollocks up to this point and I don't think even AVB realized that it can get so bad in terms of creative and defensive issues. Despite all we're hanging on to 4th place and it all depends whether we can grind out a top 4 place or not. If yes, then this season will have been a success nevertheless, it will provide a good platform to move forward and never look back.. If not, then it will be interesting to see how this situation will be dealt with (taking into consideration that CL money is important in terms of FFP as Gourlay said).

Good post, i must agree with the financial fair play coming in. And with his press conferences i never took him too serious anyway, it's not like he's telling the truth, well i hope he's not. And about other teams not buying players, it's because we needed it mostly than others, we lack a creative midfielder, a top 6 team should have one of that caliber. We lack one for the reason of not spending, perhaps we might buy players in summer and i hope you're right, what's concerning me big time and why i hate AVB for not spending is because Roman will sack him, it's obvious there's no way he will hold onto him like that, if there is then it's a miracle. But good post you do have me convinced slightly, and taking them things into account perhaps he does have it harder than i realised.

I don't think AVB will be sacked. He's the most expensive manager we've had and if we are going to splash in summer, then we can't afford to lose anymore money firing and hiring managers. He has probably long time ago handed in his targets and the club is working towards signing them as we speak (not negotiating, but scouting and evaluating etc.), a new manager would scratch all that progress.

Looking at last year's financial report, signing of Torres, Luiz and firing Carlo and hiring AVB make up a big chunk of our losses.. we simply can't afford to do these kind of deals anymore. I believe AVB has been brought in with not very high expectations this season, and I believe he will be allowed to go through with his project (this is the first time we hear the club admitting it needs changes). Of course, I don't know how the board really feels, maybe they are deluded and think we should be winning something this year.

I'm sure i've said this all before, but, I think we, as fans, need to be rational.

We did have a fantastic team in their prime for a good number of years, and what with the lack of consistency at the club (constant changing of managers/staff), we haven't been able to gradually release the older players/buy younger ones, and therefore the 'transition' of the squad, if you like, has been delayed somewhat.

Whether, you blame Roman, the board, the media, it doesn't matter, AVB has inherited an ageing squad and is trying to bring in a new footballing philosophy. The problem lies in the fact that some of these players are simply not suitable to the way he wants us to play. He is a new manager at the club, and like any new manager, he needs to assess what he has got before he can change it.

It's not his (AVB's) fault for the majority, i'm sure he would've loved to have brought in a striker like Falcao with him but couldn't as he had Torres to deal with. He would have loved to sign Hazard/Moura etc in this window, but unfortunately, it's not as simple as waving money at the situation. The rebuilding of the squad is underway, it was always going to be a lengthy process. Thankfully, I see hope in the fact that AVB is in control of targets, unlike Carlo, who was merely a 'coach' (and that's not Carlo's fault by the way, it's the way he managed at Milan he and was perfectly happy with it). We know the board have their targets (De Bruyne/Willian etc) and AVB has his (Meireles). If he believes that there is a player that suits his philosophy (that he has studied his whole career), who are we to question it?

If you look at Man Utd and the way SAF deals with his squad, you can see why he is so successful. He constantly buys/sells and refreshes the squad year in/year out. Do you know why he is able to do that? Because the club has stability, and that's precisely my point. We finally have the potential to have some stability at our club, don't lose sight of that fact. You have to endure this phase if you want success in the long run.

And also his work has been made somewhat more difficult with all those issues that he inherited, like the Torres situation and the Terry situation. Whether we like it or not, those things do affect the team.

trophyless drought is part of the transition, we have to embrace it !

but what I sometimes don't get is why is he not giving the younger players more oppurtunity, they are the future we speak about here.

Lukaku was a much touted transfer among the CFC fans during the summer window, I haven't seen even half of what people kept posting in the form of you tube videos!

but what I sometimes don't get is why is he not giving the younger players more oppurtunity, they are the future we speak about here.

Lukaku was a much touted transfer among the CFC fans during the summer window, I haven't seen even half of what people kept posting in the form of you tube videos!

Simple really. Things haven't gone according to plan, so he plays it safe with experience rather than inexperience. If we were in a better position, no doubt we'd see more risky choices by him.

Exactly, the thing what is really pissing me off is that Cole gets played constantly over and over again, Bertrand has experience he's like 23, and we never play him at all. I doubt we will even play him against Man U, it will probably just be Ferriera or Bosingwa. He's a prospect not a backup player.

Speaking about Bertrand, he has reasons to worry... not only is he constantly overlooked, but we tried to sign a replacement (Pereira). There are signs that AVB isn't confident enough in him.

Is AVB confident in any youth player?

Sturridge and Romeu. Mata, Luiz and Ramires are fairly young too (by our standards)

Romeu yes, Sturridge perhaps, but who else does he have to play there anyway?. Then you get Bertrand, McEachran and others from reserves, i also think Lalkovic should be called up into the squad, but he's been loaned out now appearently.

Speaking about Bertrand, he has reasons to worry... not only is he constantly overlooked, but we tried to sign a replacement (Pereira). There are signs that AVB isn't confident enough in him.

Pereira was a proposed replacement for Zhirkov.

i also think Lalkovic should be called up into the squad, but he's been loaned out now appearently.

Disagree. He's not ready, and to be honest, I have my doubts about him ever reaching our first team.

Pereira was a proposed replacement for Zhirkov.

When AVB commented about Pereira, he said that it's not big disaster not getting him, because Bertrand is a good backup. So he intended signing him as a LB. And Zhirkov would've been preferred over Bertrand nevertheless, as would Pereira.

When AVB commented about Pereira, he said that it's not big disaster not getting him, because Bertrand is a good backup. So he intended signing him as a LB.

No, Pereira was intended to be a like-for-like replacement for Zhirkov. However, just like Zhirkov, Pereira would've pushed Bertrand down the pecking order at LB anyway.

No, Pereira was intended to be a like-for-like replacement for Zhirkov. However, just like Zhirkov, Pereira would've pushed Bertrand down the pecking order at LB anyway.

That's my point.. not a good sign for Ryan