Chelsea 3-3 Man United

BlueLion.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember something similar a few years ago. Spurs leading Man Utd, Webb gives a penalty that was never a penalty in a million years, Man Utd get the momentum from that and go on to win the game (and the title), vintage Howard Webb.

Yes Anders, bacon face has performed the same way year in, year out. As for this instance he berated the fourth official into submission in the first half and low and behold Webb does what he does naturally for them, its no wonder opposing fans have him dressed up in scum tops - nothing could be more appropriate. I won't disagree that we didn't contribute to losing the lead but Webb gave them the imitative and ultimately the momentum and belief to get something from the game. Its not sour grapes as Jose was a master at it for us and he had Ferguson's measure in the psychological department, Benitez got a lot of stick a few years back for his rant about Ferguson's demeanor but he had most of that spot on, Andre alluded to it a little in his interview by stating that it should be a level playing ground when the top sides are playing against eachother but it hasn't been with his experience thus far, mentioning the 2 off sides goals at scum Trafford as another example.

You just know Ferguson's going to come out with something after yet more fortune for his side, now giving the linesman some stick ffs! It's just a clever tactic to deflect the situation so that people in football i.e officials don't view this game as a gimme from Howard fucking Webb, thus continuing the psychological edge in games to help them win the title, Ferguson knows he will need all the help they can get because City are better than they are and we have seen recently the decisions going against Mancini and co, yet it doesn't surprise me one iota!

one of the best momets yesterday was when Mata scored i was jumping around shounting 'get in what a goal' then my two year old neice jumped in and went ,goal uncle Billy goal Chelsea' best thing about that was my Brother in law was sitting with us and hes an Aresnal fan LMFO

Edited by carefree88

No, I don't think we would get those penalty decisions at Old Trafford. And that bothers me. But it doesn't change the fact that it's understandable to give it. I really can't see how you can just state that it wasn't a penalty. Ivanovic was backing from the challing, but, unfortunately he caught Welbeck. Both were very soft, but it's not like those decisions that went against us vs Barcelona a few years ago, it's not like Ivanovic or Sturridge didn't touch Evra and Welbeck.

Malouda had a really bad game, and he isn't good enough for Chelsea. I won't argue with that. But come on, arguing that maybe he should've put Bertrand on the left wing for the first time against United? He's okay going forward but do you have any idea if he is even capable of playing on the left wing? Why not just put Ivanovic there, I mean, he's okay at going forward.

And I don't really see any other option than to have Malouda on the left wing under these circumstances. At least not if you want to have Mata in the middle.

Like I said in my earlier post, Sturridge was having a bad game. I don't think anyone can deny that. And he doesn't track back enough, and isn't good enough in defending. Malouda, despite all his flaws, does track back. And come on, how do we know Sturridge's pace would mean Evra would get another yellow card.. to not subsitute Sturridge solely on that would have been ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure it was the right subsitution, but under the circumstances I definately understand it.

Sorry fella but i suggest you take a good long look at the second penalty again? Welbeck kicked the back of Ivanovich's foot and done the triple selco to get a pen, Webb didn't need a second chance to give them something and he didn't disappoint! (see my post to the big drog about the consequence of that decision) A pen is given when a defensive player commits whats deemed as a foul of some description, Ivanovich never touched Welbeck, it was the other way round so cannot in a million years be given as a penalty?

As for Bertrand, i stated before the game on this thread and in my previous post that he should of played at LB but was pushed out in favour of a player that cannot defend at RB let alone LB so was absolutely bemused/perplexed by that choice but AVB got away with it, the fact that members on here have stated Malouda was at fault for 2 of the goals and also said that all he done was give the ball away proves my point about him not starting and should of been substituted. Agree it would of been a gamble to play Bertrand there but could he of done any worse than the useless under performing Malouda? Like i said i saw him at Reading, and have many friends that are Reading season tickets holders and they all said the same thing to me about Bertrand and that he was terrific going forward but needed to improve defensively which i understand he has since his return to us. Bertrand must be distraught and i wouldn't blame him if he slapped in a transfer request in the summer.

I won't disagree that Sturridge wasn't having the best of games but he produced the goal in the first half and is capable of doing that were as Malouda has offered nothing for weeks, as i said Sturridge is a threat and that coupled with the fact Evra was on a yellow should of been enough and easy decision for AVB, just my way of seeing things doesn't mean i'm right of course.

Good article here, but its what we all know and agree anyway!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...otball-tactics

Chelsea play clever when Juan Mata is central to their plans

Moving Juan Mata out wide limits the influence of a player with the ability and brain to control the tempo of a match

It wasn't the brilliant volley just after the break that underlined Juan Mata's importance to Chelsea. It wasn't the late, curling free-kick that forced David De Gea into a full-length save either, or even the delivery from wide for the third Chelsea goal.

It was a 20-yard sideways pass to José Bosingwa in the 65th minute, with the score at 3-1, that slowed down a Chelsea attack. It annoyed Florent Malouda, who wanted a pass in front of him to attack Manchester United's new right-back Antonio Valencia, and it prompted an audible moan around Stamford Bridge.

But the pass demonstrated Mata's intelligence and awareness of the situation. Chelsea had gone 3-0 up without playing particularly good football, but had then allowed United back into the game. The second half was frantic, fast-paced and end-to-end. Chelsea, the side with the two-goal advantage, didn't want that – they needed to calm things down, kill the game, control the tempo.

Mata was the only one who understood that. His pass was unspectacular, underwhelming and lacking in ambition. But it was the right thing to do; it prompted a whole minute of pure Chelsea possession, something they struggled to recreate later on, at a time when United attack followed United attack and Chelsea made clearances when they could have played passes.

And what followed that minute of possession? A shot from Mata, controlled, precise and forcing De Gea into a smart stop down to his right. It was the perfect way to attack at that moment, to control the game, frustrate United, then pounce quickly.

Mata is the one thinker in a Chelsea side being turned into an exciting team, but one based around pace and technique rather than thoughtfulness. Villas-Boas desires a 'vertical' game, but yesterday they needed to be more horizontal. Raul Meireles and Michael Essien are both box-to-box players more than holders, Daniel Sturridge and Malouda moved high up and wanted to break quickly, while Fernando Torres was naturally hunting for the goal that seems destined never to arrive. Chelsea were playing too direct and they needed someone to soothe a side full of shuttlers and scurriers.

The most intelligent footballers adjust their game and make the correct decisions according to the situation. The former Real Madrid midfielder Fernando Redondo was a master of that, described by Fabio Capello as a 'tactically perfect' player, able to defend and attack equally well by using the same strengths in different ways.

Being adaptable in this respect is the final part of José Mourinho's coaching regime. He devises drills based around 'guided discovery', helping the players to arrive at their own conclusions. The ultimate aim is to make his players intelligent enough to adjust the shape and style of the side based according to the tactical situation in the game, without the need for input from Mourinho. He likes an on-field leader, a central midfielder who carries out the instructions and sets the tone for the rest of the side. Esteban Cambiasso did that conspicuously at Inter, while Xabi Alonso was earmarked for the role at Real Madrid.

Villas-Boas is a disciple of Mourinho, of course, and his technical leader is unquestionably Mata. The Chelsea coach spends much of his time on the touchline dictating instructions to players. He is remarkably pedantic with regard to positioning, often whistling to a defender from his odd crouching position, then gesturing for them to move a couple of yards deeper, or a couple of yards narrower.

Mata is slightly different. Villas-Boas rarely shouts to him, but often calls him over for a much longer chat, as if discussing a full-blown change in manifesto rather than a modification in policy. Mata may never be the right kind of player to be Villas-Boas's captain – and this week of all weeks, you won't get many people at Chelsea wanting to discuss the subject of captaincy – but he is unquestionably the face of Villas-Boas's Chelsea. In fact, he is the face of Villas-Boas: the two look remarkably similar when discussing the game on the touchline, and the coach towering over the playmaker while lecturing him resembles a kid taking advice from his older brother midway through a school football trial.

Villas-Boas has had to change his strategy since he came to Chelsea, in two particular ways. The first was a move from a constant 'high block' to a medium or low block – in other words, moving from heavy pressing towards more of a reserved position, and in some games (most notably the crucial win over Mata's former club Valencia) dangerously close to parking the bus. The second was restricting the attacking license of the holding midfielder, for Villas-Boas ideally likes a rotating midfield triangle, demonstrated by the movement and understanding his Porto side enjoyed in midfield. "We decided it doesn't work here, so that's one of the things I have adapted," he said. "You lose a little bit of balance in the Premier League if you play that way. Transitions here are much more direct, making the importance of the number six (the holder) to stay in position more decisive."

Both moves have been more cautious, more pragmatic than his initial philosophy dictated. The next change might be to become less vertical and more patient with the ball. In home games against big sides Chelsea have twice lost points late on, to Arsenal (5-3) and Liverpool (2-1). Now they've surrendered a three-goal lead to Manchester United. Villas-Boas will explain that by stressing his commitment to attack, but it's not just a question of how much the side attacks, it's a question of how they attack.

In fairness, Chelsea did snatch the points late on against Manchester City in another big home game. But that win was secured when City went down to 10 men, Roberto Mancini moved to a very narrow 4-3-1-1 system that allowed Chelsea space down the flanks, and the home side won the decisive penalty after an attack that crossed the pitch three times, flank to flank. Sideways can be equally effective as forwards.

It was a sideways move that Chelsea needed yesterday, but a sideways move of a different kind to the one made by Villas-Boas that ultimately cost them. His decision to move Mata out to the right meant his conductor had been pushed to the margins, and Chelsea were suddenly clueless with the ball. Oriel Romeu came on, played much deeper, and Chelsea conceded the midfield ground for the final 20 minutes.

Villas-Boas is largely trying to recreate his Porto side at Chelsea, though the biggest caveat is Mata, who is unlike anyone Villas-Boas coached in Portugal. It has been assumed that Mata would learn about the Premier League in a wide role before being gradually brought into the centre, but his adaption to the league has been remarkably swift, and Sunday's showing might be the catalyst for the decision to play him centrally on a permanent basis.

Still feeling extremely gutted, disgusted and aggrieved as I still could not believe what happened yesterday. It was pure sickening when that joke of Howard Webb gave the second penalty. To give one non-penalty in a game is bad enough but to give two?! Farcical and to think this referee officiated the World Cup. An absolute disgrace!

Why is it everytime Man U and Chelsea play each other, we always get a stupid referee, the only time decisions where right was the 2-1 win at the bridge to us, and the 2-1 defeat at old trafford last season, and possibly the 2-1 defeat in the champions league 2nd leg but i cant remember it that much. Besides that this season it's been awfully refered and to Uniteds benefit twice, the season where we won our 3rd premier league title both of the league matches where won by dodgy decisions, besides the 2-1 because of macheda's handball it was evened out really but still bad refereeing.

Honeslty is a good referee who wont make retarded mistakes hard enough?, instead the F.A think it's wise to give us referee's such as Phil Dowd and Howard Web (good referee but not when United play, he honestly needs to be inspected with this Man U thing, too many times it's happened, not just against us but against a lot of other clubs aswell).

Could've used Drogba last night. He knows how to close a game properly.. There's still question marks as to how we let them get an equalizer.

Drogba and Ramires were vital, Torres for me was average besides the cross, but Drogba is a better crosser anyway. And Drogba would of hit that chance first time, but then again who knows maybe Drogba wouldn't of been there like Torres would. Still though he would of worked more, and i know he would of slipped that ball through to Malouda for a one on one in the first half, instead Torres took a shot and it ended up hitting the corner flag rather than the goal.

Midfielder was the most important thing, Benayoun would of been very important, because for me Malouda lost us this game, he did nothing but give the ball away, no spark in our team nothing, his movement was good i'll give him that, but what's the point in movement when you get the ball and just lose it, fair enough you stretch defenders, and he played a part in Evans's own goal, but he still lost us that game.

Cheatarito was offside when he scored imo :lol:

Yeah he was i remember now, but to be honest i didn't go mad about it because it was almost impossible for the linesman to see, he would of had to have see through vision because a lot of players where in the way, Hernandez was probably almost a yard offside but still nevermind, we probably would of got raped by Shalke lmao even if they were terrible.