What about Fernando Torres' first year at Chelsea ?

SeB

I keep seeing arguments about how Torres isn't used to our style of play, but I don't think that's a valid excuse at all. The team shouldn't revolve around Torres, and in fact, it's the player who needs to fit in with the rest of the team. We can't afford to change the whole team so that he can perform better. And quite frankly, even if we brought players like Gerrard, Alonso and Kuyt, he would still be shit. It's not like his ex-teammates had this powerful aura or whatever that guided Torres' shots goalward or that one of his current teammates is a practitioner of dark magic that prevents him from scoring. It's simple: Torres can't score (and plays shit in general) because he is a significantly worse player than he used to be, and I don't think he'll improve much from here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing arguments about how Torres isn't used to our style of play, but I don't think that's a valid excuse at all. The team shouldn't revolve around Torres, and in fact, it's the player who needs to fit in with the rest of the team. We can't afford to change the whole team so that he can perform better. And quite frankly, even if we brought players like Gerrard, Alonso and Kuyt, he would still be shit. It's not like his ex-teammates had this powerful aura or whatever that guided Torres' shots goalward or that one of his current teammates is a practitioner of dark magic that prevents him from scoring. It's simple: Torres can't score (and plays shit in general) because he is a significantly worse player than he used to be, and I don't think he'll improve much from here.

From what I see he's got better performances than most players in our team... he literally does everything but score - so when his goals arrives he will be the complete player.

From what I see he's got better performances than most players in our team... he literally does everything but score - so when his goals arrives he will be the complete player.

Hardly. Even when he's one of our better players, he's nothing more than decent. The only thing he's been doing well is working hard (probably out of desperation more than anything else). Other than that, he hasn't done much right. He can't dribble past one defender, he can't hold the ball up like Drogba and he's pretty static for the most part. If he was close to completion and only lacked finish, he would be way more prolific than he is now, as he would be able to create more chances for himself.

All things aside, it's been a terrible year for him. It could've went a much better way like SwedishHouseMafia said but it didn't. I will wait for 2 more games and see what can El Nino do. QPR and Swansea. If he fails to impress then there is really not much to say...

Hardly. Even when he's one of our better players, he's nothing more than decent. The only thing he's been doing well is working hard (probably out of desperation more than anything else). Other than that, he hasn't done much right. He can't dribble past one defender, he can't hold the ball up like Drogba and he's pretty static for the most part. If he was close to completion and only lacked finish, he would be way more prolific than he is now, as he would be able to create more chances for himself.

You are not telling the truth here. Besides Mata and Sturridge, Torres is the player who has dribbled the most players. He is not a player who is supposed to hold the ball like Drogba but even his linkup play has improved comparing it to the last season and he is making runs like crazy, it's just that only Mata has enough vision to spot them and since teams chase and mark Mata like crazy it is more difficult to send that great pass. Next time, watch Torres very very carefully when he plays next time. You'll see him receiving the ball, passing it to someone and then making a fast run forward while that player sends a low risk pass sideways or backwards...

But, it is like you being a policeman with great history, amazing kunf fu, deadeye accuracy but failing to arrest anyone. The only way to escape this crazy situation is by doing 3 things:

• Scoring
  • Scoring
  • Scoring

And please, continue disscusion about Torres here and use this thread to respond to SeB's article.

It's a shame though it's on French, it looks really good.

Not the best year. some of his performances show he has still got it then the next week he looks useless, the man has no confidence at all.

what is interesting is would we still be giving another striker so many chances to improve if it wasnt for his reputation i feel we would have shipped him out this jan. i really hope he gets his act together espeically with Drogs most likely leaving at the end of the season (not to mention his age).

All things aside, it's been a terrible year for him. It could've went a much better way like SwedishHouseMafia said but it didn't. I will wait for 2 more games and see what can El Nino do. QPR and Swansea. If he fails to impress then there is really not much to say...

You are not telling the truth here. Besides Mata and Sturridge, Torres is the player who has dribbled the most players. He is not a player who is supposed to hold the ball like Drogba but even his linkup play has improved comparing it to the last season and he is making runs like crazy, it's just that only Mata has enough vision to spot them and since teams chase and mark Mata like crazy it is more difficult to send that great pass. Next time, watch Torres very very carefully when he plays next time. You'll see him receiving the ball, passing it to someone and then making a fast run forward while that player sends a low risk pass sideways or backwards...

And please, continue disscusion about Torres here and use this thread to respond to SeB's article.

Okay, I'll pay close attention to him next couple games. Hopefully you're right although as of now I don't agree with you at all.

Dreadful Year, Dreadful Player. We have dropped so many points this year from our main strikers not scoring. We didn't buy Torres to miss sitters and only get plaudits when he sets up the odd goal...He has to score, thats a strikers job. Esp when playing with one up top. Until he either cleans his act up, starts hitting the net, he either needs to be sold or replaced.

Thanks god, I'm not the only one spotting that. It's like I say in my article, Torres was used to bve given the ball into space, even if we dont evoke the situation when the "support player" plays backwards, the amount of times when he starts a run behind defenders and he is given the ball behind him because the Chelsea players are used to put the ball ON Drogba

The points in the first post are a translation of the main points of the article lol

Messages on the topic are answers to the thread title, it wasn't what I expected :wacko:^_^

The points in the first post are a translation of the main points of the article lol

Which is why I wanted to read the article. Looks really well and the points you chosed are spot on ;)

Feel free to write an article for TC anytime you want, you do it very well, unless of course you don't like doing it on English.

Which is why I wanted to read the article. Looks really well and the points you chosed are spot on ;)

Feel free to write an article for TC anytime you want, you do it very well, unless of course you don't like doing it on English.

I could, but I like to write long article (though I really have to synthetize lol) but my english style is not yet fluent, I don't want to inflict you 3.000 words in a 13 years old english student style :lol:

I could, but I like to write long article (though I really have to synthetize lol) but my english style is not yet fluent, I don't want to inflict you 3.000 words in a 13 years old english student style :lol:

Fair enough, I thought that was the case. Oh well, at least I want you to know that your work is appreciated :)

I am be wrong on this but he has performed better than Drogba so far this season, as well as looking a lot more motivated and committed

Torres has 4 goals and 7 assists in all competitions

Drogba has 6 goals and 2 assists in all competitions

I am be wrong on this but he has performed better than Drogba so far this season, as well as looking a lot more motivated and committed

Torres has 4 goals and 7 assists in all competitions

Drogba has 6 goals and 2 assists in all competitions

Stats are great. When Tores produces the type of performances that Didier did against Valencia and Man City, maybe then he might earn the right to be called Didier's rightful replacement.

The sad thing is we paid the sum of money for him because we had expected him to convert impossible chances into goals. Yet, he is not even capable of scoring fucking sitters.

The only reason he has lasted this long is because of the money invested in him..