Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even remotely criticising a player = scapegoat wow.

Saying "he needs to be dropped", is "shit", and "if he wasn't English he wouldn't be part of the squad" is slightly more than "remotely criticizing".

Exactly. Good defender when he has to hold is position, consistently lacking when not protected

Gtfo.

I'm not too worried...Cahill is neither performing above or below expectations.

He always has had a tendency to back away from players that run at him (like Aguero) ...and this is nothing new.

The reason I'm not worried is that Mourinho has gone away from the system that expects to be water-tight at the back, to an expansive, creative and riskier style of play.

That's why there's not so much onus on keeping clean sheets. Because, we are creating more chances, and unlike last season...we are finishing most of them.

Unfortunately this did not happen on Wednesday's game, because Costa didn't start and everyone else was wasteful

Page 70-ish

Player of the season? I would be tempted to say Hazard, but he wasn't anything close to great until December. Cahill has been a 7/10 performer all season long.

World-class center half. The natural successor to Terry

Can we start calling him world class now!!!

Page 90

The most overrated player in the squad by a country mile. He only ever looks comfortable when he has massive protection/we're parking the bus and camped inside our own box.

He's just not good enough defensively or with the ball at his feet. I'm hoping either Ivanovic moves inside eventually or Zouma gets a chance.

i agree. was desperate for us not to buy him. never liked him at all. if he wasn't english, no chance he would be here.

made to appear decent, because he plays for chelsea. as far as im concerned, should have been left at bolton

I will never understand some fans.

What's your point? Those aren't the same posters.

"In football, you're as good as your last game." - Frank Lampard

I know, but I just found it odd how a few months ago people were praising him (so much so that i think it was OTT) to saying he's shit

I'm not too worried...Cahill is neither performing above or below expectations.

He always has had a tendency to back away from players that run at him (like Aguero) ...and this is nothing new.

The reason I'm not worried is that Mourinho has gone away from the system that expects to be water-tight at the back, to an expansive, creative and riskier style of play.

That's why there's not so much onus on keeping clean sheets. Because, we are creating more chances, and unlike last season...we are finishing most of them.

Unfortunately this did not happen on Wednesday's game, because Costa didn't start and everyone else was wasteful

Still, we can't take it for granted. Even Mourinho has said, we're not going to score 3-4 goals in every game. There will be games where they're gonna be tight and nothing much in it and a single goal may be enough to win the game. We can't have our defence ship in goals at a silly rate then and expect us to come out on top every time.

I know, but I just found it odd how a few months ago people were praising him (so much so that i think it was OTT) to saying he's shit

It's pretty normal. The people praising him back then are probably the same people calling the criticism now scapegoating and the people criticizing now are likely the same that were saying that the praising back then was over the top.

I will never understand some fans.

Cahill has quite clearly been on the retard pills since the end of last season. Looked shaky as hell at the World Cup and simply hasn't gotten over it. Some players have to learn their position in the team isn't infallible and need to learn the hard way.

I don't think you'll find any reasonable Chelsea fan calling him shit. But he certainly looks the weak link in the side right now, and his consistent backing-off of players is costing us as much as Ivanovic's half-arsed defending from full-back.

The problem is, it's not just the last match. I honestly don't remember the last time he put on a true world-class performance. Can't say I'm surprised that he's struggling, though. Last season all of our defenders largely benefited from the defensive system we played and it made them look much better than they really are. That's why I wanted us to sign a fast top CB who's great individually and who isn't afraid to challenge a player. Cahill isn't that. When JT retires, I can't imagine Cahill leading our defence.