Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

I like the guy, he has his quality but I feel that a ball playing CB next to JT would take our side to another level. When we sit deep, he's very good no doubt about that (Semi against Barcelona/ away Atleti) but when we have to take the ball against a team that press the shit out of us he becomes a liability, he starts panicking, rushes his decisions and loses important ball. If you watch our game against Atleti at home last year you'll see how Diego run at him but not at JT (because he has no problem with having the ball).

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ivanovic can lead from the back, more so than Cahill. Remember Liverpool away last season, when Ivanovic had Kalas next to him?

If we're going to build from the back, Iva-Cahill partnership is very worrying. Neither can distribute from the back. Remember the League Cup semifinal against Swansea? If the opposition press them, we're screwed.

If we're going to build from the back, Iva-Cahill partnership is very worrying. Neither can distribute from the back. Remember the League Cup semifinal against Swansea? If the opposition press them, we're screwed.

that match was completely atypical. We can't take anything from that. Iva was on spoiled drugs that day...

that match was completely atypical. We can't take anything from that. Iva was on spoiled drugs that day...

I disagree. I think if we play that match a 100 times with the same lineup, we'll give away similar goals in 90 of them. In that very same game there were 3-4 close calls from both Gary and Brana. It's very simple, they both don't have great technique on the ball and they had their passing options cut down by Swansea. It was only natural that they end up losing the ball in dangerous areas.

Granted they'd have more passing options if we continue with the 4-3-3, but I still think it's a major disadvantage to have two CBs who are incapable of distributing the ball well from the back unless we play Drogba up top and have them hoof it.

I disagree. I think if we play that match a 100 times with the same lineup, we'll give away similar goals in 90 of them. In that very same game there were 3-4 close calls from both Gary and Brana. It's very simple, they both don't have great technique on the ball and they had their passing options cut down by Swansea. It was only natural that they end up losing the ball in dangerous areas.

Granted they'd have more passing options if we continue with the 4-3-3, but I still think it's a major disadvantage to have two CBs who are incapable of distributing the ball well from the back unless we play Drogba up top and have them hoof it.

In goal for that game was Turnball. In midfield we had Ramires and Luiz, and then Mata, Hazard and Oscar ahead of them.

A scratch back-four is always going to struggle especially with that type of protection. Give those two time to gel, under a proper manager in a decent system and they'd be fine much like they were in the Europa League Final.

In goal for that game was Turnball. In midfield we had Ramires and Luiz, and then Mata, Hazard and Oscar ahead of them.

A scratch back-four is always going to struggle especially with that type of protection. Give those two time to gel, under a proper manager in a decent system and they'd be fine much like they were in the Europa League Final.

The goals that came in that match had absolutely nothing to do with who was in midfield or in goal. They came because of Iva and Cahill's inability to distribute the ball from the back.

In the EL final we played with 10 men behind the ball for the vast majority of the game; distribution from the back was not an issue hence why I originally said it will be an issue to pair them together if we're going to build from the back.

The goals that came in that match had absolutely nothing to do with who was in midfield or in goal. They came because of Iva and Cahill's inability to distribute the ball from the back.

In the EL final we played with 10 men behind the ball for the vast majority of the game; distribution from the back was not an issue hence why I originally said it will be an issue to pair them together if we're going to build from the back.

And who in that game was supposed to drop off and pick the ball up from the back four?

The goals came from uncharacteristic errors from Ivanovic but the problems lied (as usual) in the pivot. Building from the back sounds great but that ball has to go through the midfield too and theres' a reason Ramires and Luiz weren't picked often in midfield - they're shit distributors of the ball. Their movement is poor and they don't provide options for any of the back four defenders. It's why we played Lamps in the EL Final.

Despite that we actually created a lot of chances in that match.

And who in that game was supposed to drop off and pick the ball up from the back four?

The goals came from uncharacteristic errors from Ivanovic but the problems lied (as usual) in the pivot. Building from the back sounds great but that ball has to go through the midfield too and theres' a reason Ramires and Luiz weren't picked often in midfield - they're shit distributors of the ball. Their movement is poor and they don't provide options for any of the back four defenders. It's why we played Lamps in the EL Final.

Despite that we actually created a lot of chances in that match.

It doesn't matter who was in the pivot (both Luiz and Ramires naturally drop to receive the ball). Swansea had the front two press our CBs and they had the first bank of four just behind them. Cahill and Iva simply don't have the ability to pick out the pivot players under pressure hence why they ended up hoofing it to no one in particular or play it back to the keeper who would himself do the same.

And we created next to nothing in that match. We could have played another 90 minutes and not score.

It doesn't matter who was in the pivot (both Luiz and Ramires naturally drop to receive the ball). Swansea had the front two press our CBs and they had the first bank of four just behind them. Cahill and Iva simply don't have the ability to pick out the pivot players under pressure hence why they ended up hoofing it to no one in particular or play it back to the keeper who would himself do the same.

And we created next to nothing in that match. We could have played another 90 minutes and not score.

We created 28 chances in that match. We had decent chances but Swansea got their tactics right.

What I think is myopic is to try and extrapolate too much from one game, with a dodgy midfield, a poor goalkeeper and a poor manager and apply it to the future performances of a couple of defenders.

I really shouldn't continue this discussion because we simply won't agree. I think Cahill is good on the ball (in fact he's always been fairly well-regarded in that aspect of his play by a number of coaches) and in the current system I'd be fine with him an Ivanovic.

We created 28 chances in that match. We had decent chances but Swansea got their tactics right.

What I think is myopic is to try and extrapolate too much from one game, with a dodgy midfield, a poor goalkeeper and a poor manager and apply it to the future performances of a couple of defenders.

I really shouldn't continue this discussion because we simply won't agree. I think Cahill is good on the ball (in fact he's always been fairly well-regarded in that aspect of his play by a number of coaches) and in the current system I'd be fine with him an Ivanovic.

Then give an example of where they have distributed well from the back. Garry has a good shot on him but his passing is just about adequate for a CB, Iva is below that. JT is the exception, English CBs are not generally good passers, they're not used to playing from the back and Garry is the same. I would not have them as our main CBs for a prolonged period.

PS: For someone who "hates being patronized", you sure try to do it yourself a lot!

Whats with the Cahill cristim? Am i missing something he was arguably as good as any CB in the PL last season and he started this campign with a good game. As for who in the Terry/Cahill partnership make who look better? They both do, Terry is benefiting playing along Cahill, Terry at this age is not mobile he very much helped by Cahill and his athletiscm who does more of the running between the two CB. Cahill is benefited by playing alongside Terry, who organizes the back four gives instructions to Cahill. Best CB partnership in the PL, and sure this season we will play more attacking and be less protected at times. But you look it another way that by playing more attacking you pin your oppenonent more down, and they will react to our team and play more defensive. Matic-Cesc-Oscar controlled that midfield against Burnley that haven't seen all last season. Those two combination will help our defense, and we might end up with less goals conceded this season.

I know Cahill had many doubters before last season, it seems like some don't want to admit they were wrong. Even though Cahill deservedly ended in the PL team of the season.

Ivanovic-Cahill don't work because of one game against Swansea? One game, yeah that makes sense.

Don't think that's the point of the discussion.

We are merely thinking ahead. We are considering, before it happens, whether our once successful CB pairing will remain as successful as Jose changes the system; whatever helped them last season (deep line, protection) may not be the same this time around. By the end of last season our defense line wasn't as sharp (results and goals conceded against nobodies attest to that) and I reckon it was because the protection wasn't as sharp either - they were more exposed.

Cahill's weak technically... His long balls are pretty poor, and he usually just doesn't every try them. He's got an OK first touch, adequate for a no-nonsense CB, but he's got to give the ball to a teammate ASAP esp when under pressure. These are limitations that can be exploited - it's never binary like some here say: solid non-solid/liability, mistakes vs no mistakes.

He's a good player, but hardly a top CB for me. Godin is twice the player IMO. I'd have gone for Godin instead of Luis, because for me Atletico's spine was formed by Courtois, Godin, and Costa. Their midfield was good too, but more about hardworking players than quality.

It's unbelievable how often Cahill gets caught ball-watching (latest example, Everton's 1st goal). Beside his lack of quality on the ball the biggest hole in his game.

his quality on the ball is good enough for a CB

he had a very good game yesterday, had lukaku in his pocket

My Dad watched the game for the first time today and so I re-watched it. One thing I didn't realise is how much Cahill frustrated Lukaku, Lukaku had some luck with JT but none with Cahill who thwarted him at every attempt.

Great point. He tracked him superbly for much of the match and once again did most of JT's running for him.