Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

Yes Jose gets it right ,he judges the performance not the birth certificate ,Zanetti would have been too old before he won the Champions League .

There's always been a vast difference in the build and athleticism between someone like Lampard and Zanetti. furthermore, Zanetti is an all-around footballer that Lampard has never quite been (defensively or from the back).

There's always been a vast difference in the build and athleticism between someone like Lampard and Zanetti. furthermore, Zanetti is an all-around footballer that Lampard has never quite been (defensively or from the back).

Well I think we can let Jose decide on that. The new contract will be signed soon . I never remember Zanetti finishing second in world footballer of the yearbut do remember him being beaten by England at the 2004 world cup ,when presumably his super human qualities never surfaced despite only being 28.

Jose Mourinho believes if Chelsea had won the Champions League before 2012 then Frank Lampard would have won the Ballon d'Or.

Lampard finished as runner-up to Barcelona's Ronaldinho in 2005, the year which Chelsea were controversially eliminated from the Champions League by Liverpool at the semi-final stage.

Chelsea went on to reach another two semi-finals, losing to Liverpool and Barcelona in 2007 and 2009, and also lost on penalties to Manchester United in the 2008 final.

In a serialisation of Mike Carson's book, The Manager, in the Telegraph, Mourinho reveals his belief that Lampard should have been crowned as Europe's best player.

"That season [2004-05] was a season for them to say, 'We are the best in this country', and it was the season for me to say: 'I'm not just very good in Portugal, I'm also very good here.' So it was like an explosion of motivation on both sides," Mourinho said.

"I remember saying clearly to Frank Lampard: 'You are one of the best players in the world, but nobody knows.'

"In one of the seasons Frank was a finalist in what is now the Ballon d'Or, and I think he didn't win because he was not a European champion.

"Between 2004 and 2007 he became, for sure, one of the best players in the world. So we motivate people also with individual challenges, and for him, for sure, that was a challenge we put there and he understood and he was ready for it.

"If Frank's 2012 Champions League win had come before, he would have been voted the best."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/229839.html#syOjGyLQe4dCSI8I.99

Jose Mourinho believes if Chelsea had won the Champions League before 2012 then Frank Lampard would have won the Ballon d'Or.

Lampard finished as runner-up to Barcelona's Ronaldinho in 2005, the year which Chelsea were controversially eliminated from the Champions League by Liverpool at the semi-final stage.

Chelsea went on to reach another two semi-finals, losing to Liverpool and Barcelona in 2007 and 2009, and also lost on penalties to Manchester United in the 2008 final.

In a serialisation of Mike Carson's book, The Manager, in the Telegraph, Mourinho reveals his belief that Lampard should have been crowned as Europe's best player.

"That season [2004-05] was a season for them to say, 'We are the best in this country', and it was the season for me to say: 'I'm not just very good in Portugal, I'm also very good here.' So it was like an explosion of motivation on both sides," Mourinho said.

"I remember saying clearly to Frank Lampard: 'You are one of the best players in the world, but nobody knows.'

"In one of the seasons Frank was a finalist in what is now the Ballon d'Or, and I think he didn't win because he was not a European champion.

"Between 2004 and 2007 he became, for sure, one of the best players in the world. So we motivate people also with individual challenges, and for him, for sure, that was a challenge we put there and he understood and he was ready for it.

"If Frank's 2012 Champions League win had come before, he would have been voted the best."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/229839.html#syOjGyLQe4dCSI8I.99

What does this have to do with the January transfer window?

Post your Lampard stuff in the right thread B)

Red through the thread and you will see how the discussion developed.

remember this discussion next summer when Chelsea fail to make top four, there are only a limited number of top all-around center midfielders already, and none of them want to transfer into a non-Champions League club.

Chelsea don't need the very best center midfielders right now; Chelsea need some quickness of thought and body along with the strength to drive past defenders in center midfield. as I said before, even though a player like M. Diame isn't rated highly by many, he is more than capable of improving Chelsea's center midfield (as Mikel is not good enough and Lampard can't take on any defender) if Matic doesn't come along with Guarin (or, whoever might be on the way).

You got that bit right and the Mikel bit.

2005 was easily the best I've seen Chelsea and Mr. Lampard. Lampard deserved praise at that time.

I really wish we buy a striker to build a system on.

Why not have a target man, someone to cross to, a focal point for the team ?

We have no point in playing wide anyway if there's no one to cross to and we can't play only centrally because its easy to defend against us that way.

I really wish we buy a striker to build a system on.

Why not have a target man, someone to cross to, a focal point for the team ?

We have no point in playing wide anyway if there's no one to cross to and we can't play only centrally because its easy to defend against us that way.

If we get to the point, when we play with long balls and crosses, I will be ashamed to call my self a chelsea fan!

If we get to the point, when we play with long balls and crosses, I will be ashamed to call my self a chelsea fan!

doesn't have to be long balls and crosses all the time, look at Suarez for example ..

I mean a target man as in a focal point for the attack, doesn't have to be Drogba style.

there is a huge difference between quality long passes and crosses compared to hoofing the ball up the pitch and hoping for the best.

it would certainly be better than our current slow , narrow , nonthreatening passing. but we dont have the players for it atm.