What needs to be done in January

Wilson

Possible that Anderlecht wouldn't let Lukaku leave for any less, other teams were after him & we may of finally learnt from past mistakes of not buying players before another team snatches them then we end up buying them for over the odds when they are past it.

Then we shouldn't have bothered. It just confirms my fears that we only bought him becuase he was hyped as some sort of Drogba mark ii, and that it was that comparison with Drogba, coupled with certain sections of the club thinking selling Drogba will mean that the sky will fall, that we baught him for that price. Not based on his own abilities but simply becuase of Drogba.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then how comes we only paid £4.5 million for Romeu. Considering he also has "potential" and has league experiance with the B side. But most astonishing is he seems to have gotten a place in the first team. You see where the logic sort of fails?

There are many aspects why Romeu's and Lukaku's prices were so far apart. Firstly, Romeu is a defensive mid.. they aren't close to strikers' price range. Lukaku was sought after by many top clubs, automatically making his price go up if you wanted him for "buy now" price. There was much difference in hype, for example I hadn't heard Romeu's name before the summer, as I'm sure many of you hadn't also. Plus, Lukaku is an international, Romeu is far from that. There didn't seem to be much interest in Romeu, it seemed it was only us.. and Barca has the option to buy him back.

There are many aspects why Romeu's and Lukaku's prices were so far apart. Firstly, Romeu is a defensive mid.. they aren't close to strikers' price range. Lukaku was sought after by many top clubs, automatically making his price go up if you wanted him for "buy now" price. There was much difference in hype, for example I hadn't heard Romeu's name before the summer, as I'm sure many if you hadn't also. Plus, Lukaku is an international, Romeu is far from that. There didn't seem to be much interest in Romeu, it seemed it was only us.. and Barca has the option to buy him back.

See previous post on this page. I will admit that the positions have an effect, but it still does not change the fact that we spent a lot of money for someone who I guess the board new would stay in the reserves. If Sturridge is destined for the wings and Dorgba/Torres can't get a run of form. Then surely Lukaku should be considered for the role. Like I said if we complain that Torres needs to live up to his transfer then Lukaku should be under the same pressure, getting games and showing he is not a bench warmer. But since the board thinks he is not ready then they should never have considered paying the money they did. Go for a lower price or not bother at all.

Roman to take a big dump.........over Gourlay's head! :-)

Seriously its not what needs to happen in January but what are they doing NOW is the real question? We must be one step ahead of our rivals & for a change not wait til the last poxy day of the month to acquire our transfer targets, AVB should be on the ball, give the hierarchy a wish list for both Jan & the summer & let them get on with it - how it was with Jose, Kenyon had his faults but he got it right with transfers. I concur with RZA & can see us buying a couple of players to strengthen as our metamorphosis will be a gradual one rather than a complete overhaul.

What needs to done in January is a continuation of what was started in the last window. We need to buy young, PL-ready players (Romeu, Mata) that fit into AVB's system. Also, we need to get players that have a high upside, i.e. they have the potential to perform greatly over their market value, and are on the verge of their prime. Also, get some players with some pace and stamina. If were are going to press it is crucial that we have players with these attributes. I think it is unrealistic to expect a January overhaul, but we need to make some steps in the right direction.

A complete overhaul is needed IMHO.

We need to get rid of the well fed "superstars" and bring in young, hungry and vibrant players, fuck the slow evolution lets do it all in one go.

Malouda, Kalou (i don't think he is as bad as others make out but not needed anymore), Anelka, Drogba (legend but can;t afford any sentiment), Alex (sorry) Bosingwa, Hilario, Torres (bash me but it's clear Chelsea and Torres is a match made in hell), Cole (sorry but clearly on the decline) OUT.

De Bruyne, Kakuta (loan return), Hazard, Albrighton, Moutinho Cavani, Van Der Wiel, Courtious (loan return), new left back, Cahill, Bruma (loan return) IN

We have stood still for too long it really has to be done if we are to move forward, bring them in, give them a year to integrate into the team and the club (aswell as more youth promotion Josh, Ryan, Conor etc etc, need a true blue core there too) then in 2013-2014 we will be in as good a position as we have ever been.

Edited by Tomo-91

Why can't we buy at least 3 players in January?, it needs to be done.

Well, we definitely need one, like Modric..(but if December doesn't go well, then he won't have any incentive to join us)..hope Essien's return (however long it lasts) can take care of whatever else we're lacking in midfield,

We'll be able to get Modric for less than the 40 million they rejected recently I believe.

The only reason the bid was rejected was due to the deadline being on the day, and the Spurs not having enough time to find an adequate replacement. I think it would be well worth it splashing out 30-35 million for Modric. He's creative, strong on ball, not overly fast, but agile and quick.

There have been talks that we are looking at getting Lucas Moura, a Brazilian along with a few other big English clubs. The guy is a star and only 19 years old. Already been called up to play for the Brazilian team in the 2011 Copa America Cup. He's much like Ramires although not as good defensively, but far better on the ball. I think he'd be perfect with Mata, Modric, Ramires, Romeu and looking at getting Di Maria, or any other legitimate right winger. That pace and creativity in the midfield would be fantastic in my opinion.

Wholesale changes are possible to a certain degree as if we lose top buck earners like Anelka, Malouda, Kalou etc.

Anelka is supposedly making 95-100k a week, by losing him you could get a player for 12MP on 60k a week with a 6 year contract.

If we lose 4-5 such players, we have an automatic budget of 50-60MP. Put in 15-20 MP and you could get 3-4 quality players of 21-24 age.

We badly need a winger and a creative midfielder. But more importantly than that we need the balls to be able to drop the older players and really build for the future. I would be happy to see us let anyone go if it meant the future was being built. The fact is in January it will be very hard to bring many if any top players in, so don't expect wholesale changes then but we are going to need something.....

We are being let down by our senior "pros" and we need to sort that out.With a dynamic midfield of Romeu, Ramires and Meireles at the weekend we played so much better. But when we bring in Malouda and Lamps the supply to the forwards disappears and the pace drops off. Over the next 2/3 transfer windows we need to let go and replace Malouda, Anelka, Drogba, Kalou, Bosingwa, Cole and reduced roles for Lampard and probably Terry too.

Agree with Aroop and Esk above. What is lacking is the attitude as well.

Wheres the passion ? We all know there are players that are looking ahead to MLS,punditry and retiring in the sun, and they need to move on. For what AVB might have in tactical nous he lacks in bollocking players and motivation.

Say what you like about the land of savages (Scotland) but they have a knack of producing better managers than players when it comes to getting the best out of players. Dalgleish, Ferguson and McInnes who has turned round Bristol City, without changing any personnel. he did say to them though ''You've got f**king Bentleys and Maseratis in the car park, now play as if you've f**king earned them''

I am not saying AVB has to go, but pampered multimillionaires need special motivation

We need to go back to Jose style signing's, players who have won nothing or very little and are hungry and have everything to prove.

:goodpost:

seriously ... they are the kind of players who wouldn't want to miss a great opportunity to win something at a big club. They will want to make the best out of their opportunities

sell anelka, sell kalou, sell malouda...

if drogs don't prolongers his contract, sell him too

buy hazard and Hamsik, get Töre back or buy agbonlahor...

this could be an solid basis to play 4-3-3 as AVB wishes too...

sell bossy and buy an rightback asap

sell Ferreira...

sell anelka, sell kalou, sell malouda...

if drogs don't prolongers his contract, sell him too

buy hazard and Hamsik, get Töre back or buy agbonlahor...

this could be an solid basis to play 4-3-3 as AVB wishes too...

sell bossy and buy an rightback asap

sell Ferreira...

Agbonlahor...LMAO