Terry : end of days?

Madmax

To put it bluntly : is JT past it? I think so. His play is becoming increasingly sloppy these days and while he's never been pacy, it's being exposed more and more often now. He's constantly getting skinned by mediocre players, lured into going to ground because he hasn't got the pace to cover. All those days of playing through pain for the love of the club have taken their toll.

If he wasn't the captain, it'd be difficult to justify a place on the team sheet. Luiz is a better defender, but a different kind of defender and evidently the future. Ivanovic (as a CB) is in a similar mould to JT but arguably better. Even Alex, putting aside a few recent mistakes, would get into the team ahead of him. He does remain the ever-inspirational leader of the pack, but the question is, how long will that continue to compensate for an obviously apparent decline in footballing ability?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's time for this topic. 2-3 seasons ago we didn't even dare to think of it, but this problem has been rightly brought forward now. He almost cost us a goal today with his miskick. And ability wise in general he hasn't impressed. Atm he's probably emotionally down for obvious reasons, tired and all the other things that come with age. But for a centre back he isn't too old yet, it's just that the high line game doesn't suit him at all.. and he has become more sloppy. If we put Ivanovic in the centre, then we must play Bosingwa on right side.... if not, then we must play Alex, and who knows in what shape he is atm - didn't even make the bench today.

Could it be because of AVB's tactics? The high line defending?

could well be! When Terry was in his prime, and Mourinho was manager, Chelsea played boring football with a defensive line, and it was a benefit for Terry... if you think about it, playing a high line with Terry who is 31 next month sounds as if we really are pushing the boat out with our tactics!

He is becoming a bit of a liability. Not sure how much all the stuff in the week had to do with his performance today but it was very poor. The high line does not suit someone like him because you need pace for it. His tackling today was strange as well, instead of dispossessing a player he seemed to just swing his leg and hope it made contact with the ball. I think he can be excused for his slip against Arsenal because that is just bad luck and can happen to anyone but he certainly is not what he used to be.

I'd give him a rest what with all that is going on for the game midweek and start with a Cole-Alex-Ivanovic-Bosingwa defence against Leverkusen.

There are just 2 options here for AVB:

1- AVB has to change his tactics so to suite the way the players can perform the best or 2-he should be brave enough to remove those who don't fit into his tactics.

both can't co-exist. And if AVB thinks he can get it right, he is gravely mistaken.

He needs to be treated like Lampard. Drop himfor few games, and rotate him with Alex.

It's not Terry who needs to be dropped! It's who plays alongside him at the back that affects the way he plays! Alex is probably the best partner for Terry because the two of them even each other out, even Gary Neville saw that... and I have to say, much as I hate looking at his face, he does talk a lot of sense!

Luiz, yes, he seems like a Carvalho-esque player (and by that I mean, the role of a sweeper), but he really needs to control his temper sometimes and just get on with it, even when you're wound up during a game, it can affect your performance mentally, or even worse, get you sent off

To put it bluntly : is JT past it? I think so. His play is becoming increasingly sloppy these days and while he's never been pacy, it's being exposed more and more often now. He's constantly getting skinned by mediocre players, lured into going to ground because he hasn't got the pace to cover. All those days of playing through pain for the love of the club have taken their toll.

If he wasn't the captain, it'd be difficult to justify a place on the team sheet. Luiz is a better defender, but a different kind of defender and evidently the future. Ivanovic (as a CB) is in a similar mould to JT but arguably better. Even Alex, putting aside a few recent mistakes, would get into the team ahead of him. He does remain the ever-inspirational leader of the pack, but the question is, how long will that continue to compensate for an obviously apparent decline in footballing ability?

He wants to be the next Maldini.

I started really noticing JT lost several steps last season after he returned from dealing with his back issues. Ever since, he's looked extremely rigid when he's moving. He's never been the swiftest or most fluid player, but his physical decline is showing.

He's past his prime like Lamps and big D but he's still a good defender. Problem is the highline...but yeah, the prob with Terry is that he is a name too big to drop and it's strange to me to look at our defense and don't see him there with his armband.

John Terry gave our defence, for the last 11 years, a strong leader. Before him Desailly did this job, very effectively. In fact John often credits Marcel for that experience and education, not only did he teach him to be a defensive leader, but a captain.

The same should be happening now. But who's ready to step-up? Now you all see why we're going for Gary Cahill (who might not be the right choice - but the principle of why he's a target is obvious). Ivanovic at CB is a big no for me because he's a better RB. Alex is being forgotten and tbh, I see him being sold this Jan to Juventus or whoever's interested no.w