I preferred Chelsea FC before Roman arrived !

Badboy

It's worth mentioning that the original true fans are now priced out of going to games....I can remember paying £4 quid to watch Chelsea in the shed in the mid 90's.....obviously as we got better prices went up....as for the atmosphere, compared to pre Roman it is an absolute joke, pathetic even....i borrowed a mates sesaon ticket a few years ago and was amazed at the quietness of the ground...people were not even taking thier seats until 20 mins into the game.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a fair point, but Badboy is referring to the atmosphere around the club. Before Abramovich came we were a club for the fans. Now we're a business for the profits.

This is not a symptom of Roman Buying Chelsea it is a problem for the Premier League in general. What football club IS a club for the fans? Was we ever a club for the fans under Ken Bates? The Club is what you make of it, your passion towards the club is all about how you look at it. Yes the atmosphere at the games is not what it was, but ask any Premier League club and they will say the same.

It does not matter if we like it or not, football has changed.

I do sort of agree with you Badboy. Before Roman we had very talented players like Vialli, Di Matteo, Zola etc etc but they did not have the big-name player arrogance that you get from players today on the massive wage bill. We still had something about us that we had since 1905 which does not seem to be there today and it is hard to put our finger on what it is. Before Roman we were never apart from the late 60's a top, top side at any point so we were a club in a fancy part of London quietly going about their business. It was local sponsors and pre-season tours, not going to Malaysia with Samsung and Adidas branding thrown across our shirts.

The fans back in the 90's never expected too much either. If we lost at home to say Aston Villa today it would be a catastrophe whereas 10-15 years ago it was just one of those things. We were a club with more heart and passionate supporters before. We had The Shed, one of the most feared stands in football. You could cram in 15 000 people standing on the terrace. Today we share half of a 6000 seat, not very intimidating stand with away fans, paying £50 a ticket.

Things have changed and I still love the club as much as I ever did, we have just moved into a different era with its pros and cons. I have just listed the cons but obviously there are the pros to being a big club such as:

Watching world-class players every week

Winning trophies every year

Competing at the highest level in every competition

This is not a symptom of Roman Buying Chelsea it is a problem for the Premier League in general. What football club IS a club for the fans? Was we ever a club for the fans under Ken Bates? The Club is what you make of it, your passion towards the club is all about how you look at it. Yes the atmosphere at the games is not what it was, but ask any Premier League club and they will say the same.

It does not matter if we like it or not, football has changed.

Exactly.

Whether Roman had come or not, the climate would've still been the same. In fact, had it not been us Roman bought it would've been Liverpool or Tottenham. We'd have probably been a team like Wigan, barely trying to stay afloat under a crumbling debt & wage-bill.

We still have so called "real fans" (a term that makes me sick btw). Had Roman not come, I guarantee we'd be be crying out for our own oligarch.

Pluses and minuses. Abramovich has brought lots of money, which has brought cups and success on the pitch, and the possibility of perhaps a move to a better ground.

That money has also brought success, and where there's money you get lots of hangers on -who are business focussed-priotising the selling of merchandise and the 'brand' Chelsea FC. Its now a global brand, not just because of Abramovich and the Kenyons and Gourlays -but primarily because of sattelite communication.

The people who watch on TV or the internet is global. The injection of cash means the club isi less dependant on revenue from fans, and the admission is set at a price marketeers have judged to be appropriate to the 'brand'.

This has inevitably meant less of the original fans go -either because of teh cost, or because the ground has thousands of gawpers, whos next thing on the agenda is the London Eye or Madame Tussauds. The atmosphere has suffered considerably.

It was better before Abramovich came in many ways of cameraderie and shared experience of a result -often a loss, and you didnt have to worry about the expense. However its always better looking back, and we now appear to be in the best position financially of any other club in the League -apart from Man City. but there has to be a pause, and say who benefits ? Is it really so great assosiating yourself with a win of the 'brand' you associate yourself watching on a PC 10 000 miles away ? I would rather see a 1-0 away at Huddersfiled in the rain personally.

& on another note..

Did we not all cry when John Terry & Anelka missed their penalties in Moscow? Were we not all furious to the bone when Ovrebo screwed us out of another final? Did we not celebrate as much we could when it was announced we signed world-class Fernando Torres?

Did we not all rejoice when after 50 years, Lampard won us our first Premier League title?

To turn around, after all those emotions, and say we prefer to have been the Pre-Roman Chelsea, it's unthinkable to me. I'm glad we went through all these emotions, and I'm glad we have an owner who's actually a Chelsea fan & not a typical rich owner a la Gillette & Hicks. With Abramovich you're guaranteed not to get screwed. You know he won't take out a loan against the club & you know he want football success over everything.

And of course I miss cheap ticket prices! I'd be a fool not to. I still go to a few games a season, I'm grateful just to do that, because I'm not even earning. But would I want to throw all the potential success away because I can't go week-in-week-out? No. That doesn't make me a glory hunter, because I go through the same passions watching the games with my Chelsea supporting friends.

& yet on another note..anyone on here notice how when theres a loss, loads of petty squabbles break out here on the forum ??

Before Abramovich and Murdochs Sky -Chelsea fans after a loss would gather in great numbers to wreak havoc and great vengeance upon the heads of the opposing fans and their town, thus going home happy and contented. Yay it is written, brothers.

I could not have put it better Alex. The thing is people seem to think that we were shit before Roman arrived, we were a good side we were the equivalent of a modern day Tottenham, we had some players in that side that would walk into this team. We should of won the league in 1998-1999 it was only for a special treble winning side that stopped us but the football we played in that season was just mind blowing. The atmosphere has gone because the real supporters don't go anymore like Oxfordblues, we don't have that many real supporters anymore. If Roman had not taken over then most of our foreign fan base would not even consider Chelsea. This is not to attack some of the people on this forum who live elsewhere but that is a fact, Man utd had a monopoly on foreign support before Roman arrived ! All of a sudden we have people travelling from Malaysia to watch games at the bridge... that would never of happened before Roman arrived.

I supported Chelsea when we weren't good enough to be called SHIT .. The good days were managing to avoid relegation.. Just as good was managing to

avoid relegation to the old 3rd division ...Then the good times started ,,Promotion back to the First division . Tha arrival of Hoddle .. then Gullit ,,Vialli and Zola.

Those were magnificent times after what we had suffered ,,Our Wembley win against Boro in the Full Members Cup ...

BUT the last few years since Roman bought us have been MAGNIFICENT ... I never expected to get the excitement of the last few years ..so to me ..

things have never been better and as far as owners go ..I prefer Roman to Bates or the Mears family.

My only regret is that Roman never communicates directly with the fans

& yet on another note..anyone on here notice how when theres a loss, loads of petty squabbles break out here on the forum ??

Before Abramovich and Murdochs Sky -Chelsea fans after a loss would gather in great numbers to wreak havoc and great vengeance upon the heads of the opposing fans and their town, thus going home happy and contented. Yay it is written, brothers.

:lol: now we know what you got up to as a youngster ey? Haha

I supported Chelsea when we weren't good enough to be called SHIT .. The good days were managing to avoid relegation.. Just as good was managing to

avoid relegation to the old 3rd division ...Then the good times started ,,Promotion back to the First division . Tha arrival of Hoddle .. then Gullit ,,Vialli and Zola.

Those were magnificent times after what we had suffered ,,Our Wembley win against Boro in the Full Members Cup ...

BUT the last few years since Roman bought us have been MAGNIFICENT ... I never expected to get the excitement of the last few years ..so to me ..

things have never been better and as far as owners go ..I prefer Roman to Bates or the Mears family.

My only regret is that Roman never communicates directly with the fans

I am not saying that our team overall was better, all i'm saying is we are different overall as a club. We have lost our soul and it hurts, Stamford Bridge is a ghost town now. Going to Chelsea games in the late 90's early 00's was much better then the shambles now. The stadium was rocking all the time and we used to sing blue day like crazy but now its gone, the only place were its still present to a certain extent is the Mathew Harding stand. Even during the Jose years, teams like Liverpool would equal us even though they had shite like Traore in one off games because their fans were a 12th man.

I am not saying that our team overall was better, all i'm saying is we are different overall as a club. We have lost our soul and it hurts, Stamford Bridge is a ghost town now. Going to Chelsea games in the late 90's early 00's was much better then the shambles now. The stadium was rocking all the time and we used to sing blue day like crazy but now its gone, the only place were its still present to a certain extent is the Mathew Harding stand.

Fans sang more because they were standing ...people rarely sing sitting down. I see a spirit in OUR TEAM as great as ever.

Fans sang more because they were standing ...people rarely sing sitting down. I see a spirit in OUR TEAM as great as ever.

Be honest mate, would Ron Harris have held the club to ransom like what John Terry or Lampard did years ago ? No. I have a moan about this every season because its something that gets on my nerves. Players are not loyal anymore and football is a business now, they don't give a damn about us anymore. They see us as a cash cow more then ever and that is fact. I will never buy another Football shirt ever again in my life, i will continue to attend the odd game but that will be it.

Be honest mate, would Ron Harris have held the club to ransom like what John Terry or Lampard did years ago ? No. I have a moan about this every season because its something that gets on my nerves. Players are not loyal anymore and football is a business now, they don't give a damn about us anymore. They see us as a cash cow more then ever and that is fact. I will never buy another Football shirt ever again in my life, i will continue to attend the odd game but that will be it.

While you do have a point about holding the club to ransom, do you really think they don't have a passion for the club and fans?

Remember what Terry did for Steve when he came over here? Giving him the signed boots? Is that really someone who doesn't care about the fans or the club? I think you're very right about the greed of players and the emergence of Football PLC. But you can't say they're totally passionless.

seeing the EFFORT put in by our depleted team in the last two games shows they care. YES they are overpaid but what I care about is that they give 100% in

return on the pitch. VERY rarely do I feel they fail in that respect. When I feel a player doesn't give everything then I will hammer him on here.

seeing the EFFORT put in by our depleted team in the last two games shows they care. YES they are overpaid but what I care about is that they give 100% in

return on the pitch. VERY rarely do I feel they fail in that respect. When I feel a player doesn't give everything then I will hammer him on here.

Do you bear grudges against players that have not done that in past seasons? Although this season they are giving 100%, Anelka and Malouda are two that have not given us 100% effort in previous seasons (the Grant era was the most prominant)

Do you bear grudges against players that have not done that in past seasons? Although this season they are giving 100%, Anelka and Malouda are two that have not given us 100% effort in previous seasons (the Grant era was the most prominant)

I know zolayes was member of the month, but I dont think hes that good his posts have to be quoted 4 times