David Luiz a clumsy defender?

Kojo

I've only ever made one thread, so i was thinking of making another one, just wanted to see what everyone else thought on these remarks we keep getting on David Luiz.

When we bought David Luiz and he ended up scoring against City and United and putting 10/10 performances in, people where going on about how good he was and he could be the best defender in a few years time, eversince our international break and we played stoke and we were very lucky to draw 1-1, he wasn't in the best of form, but he wasn't bad. It then came to the United match, we had kick off (i believe), lost the ball right away, very poor, John Terry is trying to do the offside trap with no one else participating, Luiz gets the shit because Hernandez was on his side, yes you would of expected better from David Luiz. But it's a gamble, he made a choice to stick a foot in and try and get the ball before Hernandez got it, unfortunately for him and us he got it wrong.

Even now with him back on form, our defender who has been putting in man of the match performances in the back 4, all i hear from commentators is 'ahh well that's the problem, he's to clumsy, needs much more experiece', now this winds me up, any of you people get very sick of this?, this has also changed many other supporters views on David Luiz, other clubs see him as overrated and a very clumsy defender. For me he is just like any other defender in his catagory, take a look at Pepe for Real Madrid, brilliant tackler, makes sure you don't get past him, puts the shits up you and when you get near him, you wont have the ball for much longer, however he concedes many silly free kicks, penalties and has been sent off many times, the same could definitely be said about Vidic also. Samuel for Inter Milan is also similar, David Luiz is a very talented defender and has a huge swag about him when he's on form, he can do anything, even if it means going on a forward run and pick out a pass or go for a shot. Very entertaining and exciting centre back, however i don't think he gets enough credit, as a matter of fact he seems to get talked down to by a lot of people, commentators and writers, what are your thoughts on it?.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread.

Its pathetic ive made my feelings clear on this many time, what's funny is they slate him for one bad moment at Old Trafford then the same hypocrites tell us we should not judge Vidic on 3 bad games against Liverpool. Its funny how Luiz is regarded as clumsy for doing things Vidic does more frequently and 10 times worse. If ref's had balls Vidic would spent more time banned than on the pitch.

The United and CIty home games Luiz single handedly won both at both ends of the pitch, it really is that simple had Luiz not played we would have lost to United and maybe sneeked a draw against City, the guy has been a fucking inspiration even in his cameo against Liverpool he done more in 20 minutes than the other players for both teams (bar Meireles) did for the whole match. Also Fulham a week later he kept running back defending and running forward trying to break Fulham down when the rest of the team looked like they were playing cards.

Speaking off the match at Old Trafford i thought he did fantastic considering the early error, Carlo scapegoating him and playing under 70 odd thousand United fans who were and still are clinically obssessed by him.

He has made more interceptions than any other prem player last season and only played half off it, much is made over the 2 pen's he gave away but in one of the games we were 3-0 up and the other one was not even a pen.

He made a couple of mistakes last season but he done much better than Vidic did in his first 6 months in the prem and done better than Alex and Ivanovic did in their first season as a whole and has not made one mistake this season i don't think, all of his play has been spot on and our most solid defensive displays have been with him on the pitch.

I could carry on all day but the point is it annoys me when Luiz gets regarded as a accident waiting to happen based on a couple mistakes, i think the media cannot get over him bullying Wayne their lovechild sad thing is when we play Liverpool he will probally put Gerrard in his place and we will have Scousers obsessed with him aswell as Mancs.

Good thread.

Its pathetic ive made my feelings clear on this many time, what's funny is they slate him for one bad moment at Old Trafford then the same hypocrites tell us we should not judge Vidic on 3 bad games against Liverpool. Its funny how Luiz is regarded as clumsy for doing things Vidic does more frequently and 10 times worse. If ref's had balls Vidic would spent more time banned than on the pitch.

The United and CIty home games Luiz single handedly won both at both ends of the pitch, it really is that simple had Luiz not played we would have lost to United and maybe sneeked a draw against City, the guy has been a fucking inspiration even in his cameo against Liverpool he done more in 20 minutes than the other players for both teams (bar Meireles) did for the whole match. Also Fulham a week later he kept running back defending and running forward trying to break Fulham down when the rest of the team looked like they were playing cards.

Speaking off the match at Old Trafford i thought he did fantastic considering the early error, Carlo scapegoating him and playing under 70 odd thousand United fans who were and still are clinically obssessed by him.

He has made more interceptions than any other prem player last season and only played half off it, much is made over the 2 pen's he gave away but in one of the games we were 3-0 up and the other one was not even a pen.

He made a couple of mistakes last season but he done much better than Vidic did in his first 6 months in the prem and done better than Alex and Ivanovic did in their first season as a whole and has not made one mistake this season i don't think, all of his play has been spot on and our most solid defensive displays have been with him on the pitch.

I could carry on all day but the point is it annoys me when Luiz gets regarded as a accident waiting to happen based on a couple mistakes, i think the media cannot get over him bullying Wayne their lovechild sad thing is when we play Liverpool he will probally put Gerrard in his place and we will have Scousers obsessed with him aswell as Mancs.

I should of credited you on my post to be honest, i do remember it was you who used to go on about Vidic making more mistakes than Luiz, totally agree with that. Very good post you made there, the Liverpool match he basically almost got man of the match and he only played 20 minutes as you said, brilliant defender, he got a bit out of form after the stoke match but he was never under performing. Luiz is a player who puts tackles in and basically is the daring one in the defence, he will go for that slide tackle, and you have to accept players like that are going to get cards and make mistakes. However with Luiz positves totally outweight the negatives by miles, he has done so much for us and only at 24 he should have a very good future, the reason why i made this thread is i don't see why people name him as a clumsy and reckless defender, when he clearly isn't, you need to take a look at other defenders in his catagory. Vidic as probably the biggest example.

He's very clumsy. I'm surprised he hasn't sorted it out yet.

Why do you think that?, he's not clumsy he goes in for the tackle and if he gets it wrong people think he's clumsy. The one against Birmingham was uncessary yes!, but what he's doing is making a name for himself, if he got it right and got the ball, the oppesition would know he's a fucking beast, defenders have to make reputations for themselves, so it unerves the oppenent, especially defenders like David Luiz. You can go on about all this experience he needs but at the end of the day what experience?, i don't think it will make him better, it will just make him be less aggressive, and i would much rather have him more aggressive, because he's better that way. You can't have a defender to perfect, it's just not possible, you have to pshycic, every big tackle is a gamble, and when people want him to be less 'clumsy', that will be meaning he will be giving oppenents more time on the ball instead of closing them down, now if he does that and the oppesition score. People will complain about how much Luiz is giving the openent time on the ball, people just need to accept David Luiz is that defender who will make mistakes, because he simply has to, no one can be that perfect.

I wouldn't exactly call Luiz clumsy.He is just overenthusiastic and this attribute leads him sometimes to bad decisions when he is defending.

BUT the positive things he brings to our play (his speed,drives,passes and goals) are far more significant than the negative ones,especially in AVB 's style of football.

Fully agree with the OP.

Something that also annoys me regarding Luiz are the fanboys that are adamant he should be playing in defensive midfield. I mean it really doesn't take a genius to realise he wouldn't be able to make those marauding runs with him playing there.

Fully agree with the OP.

Something that also annoys me regarding Luiz are the fanboys that are adamant he should be playing in defensive midfield. I mean it really doesn't take a genius to realise he wouldn't be able to make those marauding runs with him playing there.

He nearly got released by Victoria because of below par performances in that position plus when do defenders who are good going forward do well further up? every one thought Alves would be a beast of a winger but was shite when played there.

Also on a side not could you imagine the field day this forum would have had if DAvid Luiz gave away the penalty against Fulham and got sent off instead of Alex?

He nearly got released by Victoria because of below par performances in that position plus when do defenders who are good going forward do well further up? every one thought Alves would be a beast of a winger but was shite when played there.

Also on a side not could you imagine the field day this forum would have had if DAvid Luiz gave away the penalty against Fulham and got sent off instead of Alex?

I agree there it would of been a totally different story if David Luiz had done what Alex did.

Luiz is a very good defender and an accomplished one may I add. I don't understand why people expect perfection all the time from him, hardly any defender is better at covering than him I feel... and he still feels like a new signing to me, in a season, or maybe this season already, he will be a starter. He reminds me of Carvalho, but has more potential imo. He is probably the most exciting player to watch play in defence, I mean did you see when he overlapped he did oversteps? Or his overhead cross against ManU if I remember correctly. Last time I remember a Chelsea player showboating was Ferreira against Kitchee :D I have never thought he'd be more suited as a full-back or a defensive mid. Terry makes mistakes and gets caught quite often yet it hardly gets noticed, and he used to be a midfielder and a full-back... he started playing as a defender by chance. Luiz was a mid also and he was finally suited in CB and it is the position in which people call him world class.

Now cut it out, it's getting old. People seem to rate Cahill more as a defender, which is a joke imo.

CLUMSY... no i definitely wont call him that. but he does have some moments when it seems that he cant help himself for making some silly tackles but i am sure it will improve with time plus the old trafford mistake was just a one off thing and we need to get over it.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him clumsy. He's a bit overzealous at times and makes rash challenges. He's got a lot of raw ability and has only been playing as a central defender for the past 4 years (also playing as a fullback at times during that stretch). So he's not the finished article quite yet.

It's tough to find a balance between not shying away from a challenge and not being a foul and card machine. David has an excellent teacher though in JT. If he avails himself of this resource and applies himself more to the cerebral aspects of his position, I see no reason why he shouldn't be a top class central defender.

I won't call him a clumsy defender. Most of the games he plays well but he makes one mistake that ends up costly. Against Fulham he should have been off by then he was good in the next games. Again he tends to be over enthusiatic when it comes to winning the ball in the box. I wouldn't call him superb untill he consistently puts in a good performance.

But what I do like about him is his ball playing skills

Good thread Sloth ..you must start them more often.

with regard to Luiz

1 He has the most important attribute of any CB or keeper.He is completely fearless . The downside is this will at times lead to reckless

challenges.

2 What he also brings is tremendous pace .As such it makes him a perfect partner for JT. He has the pace to cover if John is done for

pace.

3 IMO JT and Carv were a perfect CB partnership..Ricky had the experience( was there a better shirt puller in the PL?).

We cant expect David to show the experience of Ricky just yet. I do believe he has the potential to be just as good.

The added bonus of his play going forward ,already the equal of Ricky means we have what i very few years time could be the best

centre back in the world.

KTF and back him to the hilt.

Why do you think that?, he's not clumsy he goes in for the tackle and if he gets it wrong people think he's clumsy. The one against Birmingham was uncessary yes!, but what he's doing is making a name for himself, if he got it right and got the ball, the oppesition would know he's a fucking beast, defenders have to make reputations for themselves, so it unerves the oppenent, especially defenders like David Luiz. You can go on about all this experience he needs but at the end of the day what experience?, i don't think it will make him better, it will just make him be less aggressive, and i would much rather have him more aggressive, because he's better that way. You can't have a defender to perfect, it's just not possible, you have to pshycic, every big tackle is a gamble, and when people want him to be less 'clumsy', that will be meaning he will be giving oppenents more time on the ball instead of closing them down, now if he does that and the oppesition score. People will complain about how much Luiz is giving the openent time on the ball, people just need to accept David Luiz is that defender who will make mistakes, because he simply has to, no one can be that perfect.

I'm not saying he's a bad defender. I think he's the best one on our squad. I just think he makes silly challenges frequently.

Ah I came here ready to blow someone away thinking this was a new thread slating Luiz's defensive capabilities :champions:

Great post mate and I absolutely agree. He is absolutely a phenomenal player and with the goes on he'll only get better. Once he learns English well I look forward to seeing him on CTV cameras! Legend! :D