Juan Mata

Severinb

55 assists and 33 goals in the last 2 years while playing in the PL itself. dont know how you can say that they are better for united than mata is. united under saf were playing thru wings, what moyes wants to do is still unknown.

all your post is on the assumption that mata is not suited for united more than these "fast players" and i disagree. more than wing players, united right now need some1 who can give them control of the match and the ball. they got beat at it by hull, norwich and swansea (with all due respect).

you may have a point, I just don't see Mata stepping into ManUtd that easily and being the player that can give as many assists and score as many goals - especially as much as last season's - when there isn't a system built around him. No top5 team in the world currently would build their teams around Mata because he isn't that pivotal or deciding enough and if they don't have enough dividends why invest doing him that guy? The only way imo for Mata to have last season's stats is by having plenty of freedom (as he did) and such freedom means building the team around him.

And you're right, all my posts about him I come from a place where I assume he isn't suited for United, the same way I don't think he's suited for those 5 best teams in the world because I think the latest 'trend' in modern football doesn't particularly highlight his attributes. Meaning he could be THE GUY in second tier teams - such as an emerging Atletico or an Italian 'giant' (if we could even call any team in Italy big these days, in terms of competitiveness), but he can't be the main star in teams such as Chelsea, Bayern, Barça, Real Madrid, Dortmund, ManUtd. Second strengths such as City, Arsenal, PSG and Juve wouldn't build teams around Juan Mata either. Not even Liverpool would. That's for sides like Napoli, Inter, Atletico, Monaco, Milan - if not lesser teams, simply because Mata doesn't give back enough for teams bigger than this to change a whole system and afford the exposure he brings mainly because he's way too slow, likes to play with the ball on his feet instead of receiving it on the run. I think Mata's career would be much easier and he'd have much more success if he was about 5 years older. He would have enjoyed a period in modern football where clubs were building their teams around #10s. Nobody does that these days. Even Messi that's started as a #10 evolved into something else... When was the last time a #10 was a Balon d'Or finalist? The guy that played out of their mind and was undoubtedly one of the best in the world? I remember Wesley Sneijder 4 years ago.

#10 are by definition slower players who are very creative and the rub where most all balls in the attack go through. They distribute balls like no others. Thing is high pressing isn't something Mourinho came up with. It's part of modern football these days. Football is much more based on speed, directness than it was a few years ago and in getting the ball back in the attack in a way to quickly shoot on goal instead of building from behind, slowly and calmly. That's the latest trend that teams like RM, Bayern and Dortmund brought. It was the answer to Barça's tiki taka the same way something else will be the answer to high pressing a couple of years down the road.

@GuillemBalague: All agreed. Juan Mata will be a Manchester United player. 45 million euros. All will be announced very soon

£36.7 million pounds. Not enough IMO.

Also, WTF is up with United fans talking about jacking themselves off and getting their cocks out? Never in my life have I read so much about cocks and wanking.

Weirdos.... :P