Juan Mata

Severinb

Quite a bold assumption to make. Are we sure that FFP hasn't gotten to the boards head?

On paper it's a PR disaster, any other coach at the helm and the board would be holding out until he gets sacked and another face comes in. You don't let an asset leave if you have a carousel culture at the club..

The carousel has been replaced by Mourinho, we're the new United, he's the new Ferguson.

Juan leaving does not weaken our squad because he is our fifth choice AM unlike Oscar or Hazard. Of course we should not sell our star players, we are not a selling club. But selling a player who hasn't had a single minute on the pitch since new years day for 40m is an opportunity that is hard to turn down.

The 40m will strengthen us because it allows us to heavily into the market in the summer and spend at least that amount; something we will need to do if we are to challenge next season.

mata DOES weaken our squad. only half the season is over. the main part of the season is left. plus when u r challenging for titleS, u need quality in depth which mata provides to us. a 40mil offer is not hard to turn down when u see who the bidder is. united have been poor but they still have players like rvp and rooney who can turn the season around specially when u consider them playing along with mata. if united get top 4 cos of that, then the next season they will have something like this

------------------rvp---------------

---janujaz----rooney----mata--------

-----carrickc------new CM-----

new CM can be some1 like cabaye/gundogan/matuidi. we are not just helping them rebuild, we are literally giving them a lifeline here.

as for the 40mil, suppose mata comes back from the world cup, and is then subject to a bid of 30-35mil from psg/atm/some team. how much of a difference does this 5mil make to us?

also u keep saying the 40mil will strengthen us, but tell me how it does that this season. who can we buy to replace him with that money in this window that can help us get PL.

exactly, us getting £40m doesnt mean we go out and spend £40m extra on top of what we would already spend. The only thing that should be of any concern is us weakening our squad significantly (who doesn't think Mata can make the difference later in the season, especially off the bench) and strengthening Man United. We could well end up with fucking Moses or Marin back as 5th choice attacking midfielder and no one challenging Oscar and Willian when they inevitability drop in form.

Let Man United try and sign Draxler or Reus, I doubt they'd be able to get them, probably ending up with another Fellaini. On that note, why are we only demanding £37m from a club who spent £28m on Fellaini?

well said.

So... if Mata is actually being sold, could this mean we might be seeing a 4-3-3 with Oscar, Ramires, Mikel/Matic in midfield more often than our current 4-2-3-1?

I think it suits our team better. The only problem is the lack of wingers. We have players who can cover at attacking midfield, but I think we'd need to bring someone else in (maybe Moses back?) to regularly play the 4-3-3.

mata DOES weaken our squad. only half the season is over. the main part of the season is left. plus when u r challenging for titleS, u need quality in depth which mata provides to us.

Did you object to the De Bruyne sale for the same reason?

Squad depth only makes sense if the player is actually used, and also doesn't weaken the system we play. Can you say both of those things apply to Mata?

Mata is dead to me if he goes to united; with fa and cl games to come we will have a busy second half of season he is kind of needed to challenge for these. If he wishes to leave he should do it in the summer; not forcing a move in january.

Did you object to the De Bruyne sale for the same reason?

Squad depth only makes sense if the player is actually used, and also doesn't weaken the system we play. Can you say both of those things apply to Mata?

i dint object to KDB cos we had enough depth even without him. without mata we have schurrle ONLY.

but since we have been down this road before, i am not going to go there again.

somehow u feel 6 defenders for 4 positions and 4 AMs for 3 positions is adequate and that injuries and rotation is a mythological thing.

mata has been used and he will be used. it weakens us cos it means that our first team players will have to play against derby and stoke in fa cup matches instead of keeping them fresh for PL and CL games.

Mata is dead to me if he goes to united; with fa and cl games to come we will have a busy second half of season he is kind of needed to challenge for these. If he wishes to leave he should do it in the summer; not forcing a move in january.

Overreaction much...

He isn't being played ahead of a World Cup season, in a very strong Spain sqaud.

Manchester United the only team willing to pay a ridiculous amount for him, what the hell do you expect him to do? Sit on the bench secretly rubbing Demba Ba's third leg?