Juan Mata

Severinb

A promising kid who had a couple of good games for probably the best #10 in the world last season?

Mata is a great player but let's not exaggerate here. He is not the best 10 in the world. Not even close. In fact, Oscar has been doing a pretty good job replacing him.

I'm loving all of this hype though. So far we have seen reports of PSG supposedly preparing a bid of 45 million for Mata and I have also read in the Portuguese media that Atletico Madrid is prepared to jump in with Diego Costa + Filipe Luís for Mata, etc.

The greatest thing about these transfer turmoils is that they always cause players to be over evaluated. We've seen this happening last year with Ozil's 42 million transfer to Arsenal. He was a key player to Real Madrid and everyone went mad when they sold him to Arsenal.

Fast forward a few months and everyone agrees that indeed Real Madrid didn't need him anymore, and indeed he was NOT worth 42m.

Think about it this way, we were worried how patient Roman would be with Jose this time around, well.. this is the ULTIMATE vote of confidence.

Jumping to conclusions again?

Didn't you learn when you called mourinho a traitor cause you thought he was going to United?

Just chill and wait till things actually happened!

If he leaves, its fine, he is world class player and deserves play time. If he goes to ManU, I wont blame him, they are big club and he is the player who is worth to play for big club. But if the board agrees to sell him to United, they are crazy. 40mio is a lot, but why the fuck should we help ManU go from their crisis by selling them great player in time when no big player wants to join them (Reus, Cavani, Cesc,...)???

From personal view, it would be sickening to see Mata shine in United, he deserves it, but please not United...

Think about it this way, we were worried how patient Roman would be with Jose this time around, well.. this is the ULTIMATE vote of confidence.

Selling Mata to United is ridiculous, what other big clubs in the PL would do that? Maybe if Rooney was involved but i still cant get my head around it.

THIS is how much faith Roman has in Mourinho!, the russian is almost treating Jose how Ferguson was treated at United..

Chelsea Football Club is no longer run by the players or the board, the manager is in charge!, at last.

Excellent view. Congratulation, you said it all. JOSE RUNS THIS FOOTBALL TEAM & RIGHTFULLY SO.

TBF it's easy to see where cholou is coming from. Mata is too good to sit on the bench and he will likely never regain his status as a regular starter under jose. There's no point keeping a "40 million bench warmer" (hurts badly to say/type that) on the books.

Blimey. We got there eventually.

Fantastic point. Mourinho is the boss. He's the one we're trusting to lead us for the next decade or more (ideally) whereas Mata is just one player. He's a fabulous player and he's given us some great memories, but he's one player.

And here's the thing....We've already replaced him with Willian.

Our first XI looks no different if we sell Mata or keep him. The big difference is £40 million more to spend on transfers. We could buy Shaw and our team is better. We could buy Zouma and our team is potentially stronger down the line. We could maybe even buy a striker and our team is better.

And yes we lose some squad depth but we're talking about 2 injuries having to happen to the group of Hazard, Oscar, Willian and Schurrle. EVEN IF that happens we could still go to a 433 with 2 of them playing on the wings and 3 in the middle as we have done already this season.

The sticking point seems to be selling Mata to United and it does trouble me, but they need more than just him. They'll still be managed by Moyes who seems remarkably one dimensional and in Rooney they already have a number 10 who is rather productive this season. To me they still need that CM and maybe even a CB or two (and a left-back - if it's Shaw we could actually use the funds to get him in now).

It's a divisive transfer but the club deserve some patience from the fans. We're potentially making a £25 million profit by selling two unwanted players - people saying this is the club thinking short-term again are talking shit. The club has dramatically changed the way they do business and this is a perfect example of buying young players who will retain or increase in value.

I trust Jose. Who's with me?

Excellent view. Congratulation, you said it all. JOSE RUNS THIS FOOTBALL TEAM & RIGHTFULLY SO.

Nothing has happened.

That dude likes to jump to conclusion before things happen.

He was like that when he thought mourinho was going to United calling him a traitor..

I just don't understand the desire people have here of taking the extreme side without having the truth.

And we all know how much the English media make shit up.

I remembered them stating how hulk was a done deal for Chelsea some time ago.

It won't be the first and won't be the last. But people never learn.

He has got plenty of other offers.

Who? Weren't you the guy who said we were signing Cavani in the summer?

Roman has given Jose the same power as Ferguson had at United..

Let that sink in for a moment, we're finally a proper football club.

But I just bought a Mata shirt (actually have...this is precisely why I don't get names printed on my shirts).

How stupid are we?!?! seriously?!?!

Is that the 'royal we'?

Pro-selling people seem to not want to deal with the fact that we will be weakened by this sale. Style or no style, our AMs is our main strength in this squad, if nothing else, and selling Mata halfway through the season leaves us vulnerable to injuries for the rest of the season - unless he is replaced by someone adequate, which I don't see happening.

Everyone seems to be pointing at the summer transfer window as a reason, but until then we'll be weakened this season while still fighting for titles we can win now. The summer window will also have inflated prices because of the WC, so it makes me laugh when people say we can get 2-3 WC players out of the Mata sale. Right now this only makes sense for everyone but us.