Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Unfair to judge him to harshly on that showing. Algeria defended pretty well and Belgium looked a bit clueless for the first hour or so. I'm never sure how good a measure of a player's quality the World Cup actually provides because it's a fairly unique atmosphere, but the worrying thing was just how poor his touch looked. Put him into space to run onto the ball and he can be a devastating presence but starve him of space and he looks fairly useless.

One thing I thought was odd were his runs into the six yard box, or lack of them. There was a ball across the box in the first-half that he simply didn't attack and it's something I've noticed he does a fair bit, preferring to hang around the penalty spot rather than look to play on the last man.

His biggest problem is that he talks himself up so much that he makes a rod for his own back. Watching him yesterday with the words 'I'm a complete striker, I'm a complete striker' in the back of my head just makes every poor touch ten times worse. He needs to focus on his game and stop talking.

Spot-on... There's going to be plenty of games (West Ham being two) next season where our opponents will make Algeria look like an all out attacking team :)

The ability to receive the ball with back towards goal, control, lay off and run on should never be underestimated - and for me that's where he has a huge hole in his game...

Can that be improved? - Yes...

Will it take time? Yes...

So saying he is ready is whats killing him, on the one hand it's nice to see confidence, on the other it's borderline delusional...

I hope for the whole team, they have a better game next time round... Maybe the pressure got to them... This is where 'mental strength' can never be underestimated as an attribute. The German team seem to have this in abundance - which always makes them dangerous...

Hopefully he can be more humble and try to develop his weaknesses, instead of accepting he is the complete striker and not putting any effort in developing it.

His first touch and back to goal can be developed and it will help him out against teams like Algeria and westhams who park the bus.

i agree he's anything but a complete striker and he's first touch is awful

but to say origi is better is overreacting

if origi had played the first 60 min he wouldn't do much better then lukaku

because the team was sleeping

Here's the thing - as a professional footballer he's light years ahead of where Drogba was as the same age. But Drogba came to us as a 26 year old with good technique and presence.

As players arriving at this club, they're quite far apart in those terms. That comparison is probably weighing on people's perceptions of him, and maybe even his own opinion of his talents.

Is it inconceivable that he might not be ready to lead the line for this club until the next World Cup? Might he need that amount of time to mature?

Here's the thing - as a professional footballer he's light years ahead of where Drogba was as the same age. But Drogba came to us as a 26 year old with good technique and presence.

As players arriving at this club, they're quite far apart in those terms. That comparison is probably weighing on people's perceptions of him, and maybe even his own opinion of his talents.

Is it inconceivable that he might not be ready to lead the line for this club until the next World Cup? Might he need that amount of time to mature?

Yes, but what are his options then? To keep getting loan after loan? To sit on the bench for most of the season and barely get better at all? Difficult situation.

Btw, I saw him celebrating like a madman after the winning goal yesterday, I think mentally he'll be fine to start against Russia. :)

@choulo?

@specialjuan

@rmpr

@alex

@steve

@jim.

seriously!!!! this guy is still up and running!!1

Not anymore he ain't.

P.S. simply typing "@Alex" won't tag me in a post. If you type this:

[member='Alex']

It'll tag me! :)

Yes, but what are his options then? To keep getting loan after loan? To sit on the bench for most of the season and barely get better at all? Difficult situation.

Btw, I saw him celebrating like a madman after the winning goal yesterday, I think mentally he'll be fine to start against Russia. :)

A two-year loan similar to what Courtois had might be his best option if he wants to play here long-term because he doesn't seem happy with anything other than a starting role....and there's question marks over whether he's good enough.

Costa is a great player with space to run into, like Lukaku but better. Against packed defences with his back to goal, Lukaku is at best unproven although on the evidence of yesterday he doesn't seem capable of providing what we need as an option B. It's why I'd be happy if we did get someone like Mandzukic in because he has that good control in tight situations.

At the moment I'm not sure how Lukaku is most valuable to us.

I recommend before that we give him a new contract and then loan him to Atlético for close to two seasons.

They play a similar system to us and with them selling costa to us they will take the deal.

Perhaps he goes and have a similar or greater impact then Thibaut.

See you're probably right, but yesterday is not a good indicator. You know how many good passes Lukaku got in the entire match? Absolutely zero. Was absolutely frustrating for him in my opinion. He was perfectly placed for the Hazard pass Chadli intercepted and ruined at the end of the first half. He might have scored if he got that one, we'll never know.

See you're probably right, but yesterday is not a good indicator. You know how many good passes Lukaku got in the entire match? Absolutely zero. Was absolutely frustrating for him in my opinion. He was perfectly placed for the Hazard pass Chadli intercepted and ruined at the end of the first half. He might have scored if he got that one, we'll never know.

Because he was playing against a park bus.

We get that frequently at Chelsea, unlike Everton or west brom.