Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Lukaku wasn't happy when he had Ba, Torres and Eto'o in front of him. Is he actually going to be happier when he's got a genuinely good striker like Costa in front of him?

It's not even like he offers a massive amount of difference in terms of their playing style. Someone like Eto'o is genuinely a Plan B who offers something different.

Lukaku got chances in 3 of the 4 games we played before he asked to leave. The difference next season is rather than having 3 fairly useless strikers in front of him, he's going to have someone we hope is a worldie approaching his prime.

Lukaku's problem is we might just buy a better version of him.

I actually agree. It's not like there was a massive hurdle for Lukaku to overcome. At the same time, I do find some sympathy because it's WC year and he did have competition in Benteke. For all he knew Mourinho would've reignited Torres & Eto'o would've had a worldie this season.. In that sense, if he asks to leave this summer (when it's clear Ba & Torres are more than likely moving on) it will say something about his lack of patience or faith in himself & Mourinho

I actually agree. It's not like there was a massive hurdle for Lukaku to overcome. At the same time, I do find some sympathy because it's WC year and he did have competition in Benteke. For all he knew Mourinho would've reignited Torres & Eto'o would've had a worldie this season.. In that sense, if he asks to leave this summer (when it's clear Ba & Torres are more than likely moving on) it will say something about his lack of patience or faith in himself & Mourinho

Yeah, if/when we bring in a new striker and José tells Lukaku that he wants him back but Lukaku kicks up a fuss and wants to move elsewhere than fuck him. If he's unwilling to be a team player like everyone else in the squad than I don't want him here. Don't think he'll do that though. Privately I'd imagine he won't be too happy next season, though knowing that he could be the main man many other places.

I feel a little bad for him because it'll be impossible for him to be our #1 striker next season. An expensive striker will have him on the bench where by January we'd be hearing him itching for a move.

Under no circumstances should we even entertain the idea of selling him to a PL side that has ANY chance of competing with us as has been rumored.

That's true, even I saw that. And he did like to use Ba as an extra defender too :lol:. The problem he'll have with only going in with two strikers is the injury crisis we may suffer. Remember beginning of the year when both Eto'o and Torres were out injured? He won't risk that again. I'm sure he'll give Eto'o one more year and let Ba go. But along with Costa he has to bring in someone else who won't mind being bit-part (I hear Anelka's on the market again :lol:). But even bit-part, Lukaku won't be happy because there's no guarantee. Perhaps Mou can convince him because it won't be WC/Euro year and so Lukaku doesn't have much to lose.

It's definitely a risk, but I think it's one we can afford to take. We can always play Schurrle there in case of an emergency or, god forbid, give a youngster a chance. Worst case scenario we stick JT up top and launch the ball into the box! :P

Lukaku wasn't happy when he had Ba, Torres and Eto'o in front of him. Is he actually going to be happier when he's got a genuinely good striker like Costa in front of him?

It's not even like he offers a massive amount of difference in terms of their playing style. Someone like Eto'o is genuinely a Plan B who offers something different.

Lukaku got chances in 3 of the 4 games we played before he asked to leave. The difference next season is rather than having 3 fairly useless strikers in front of him, he's going to have someone we hope is a worldie approaching his prime.

Lukaku's problem is we might just buy a better version of him.

well he had to compete with 3 strikers before and now it'll be 2 so I am sure he'll be up for it. Also I believe Jose's initial plan was to have-

Rooney,Lukaku and Torres where Ba would have gone off to Arsenal on loan. Sadly things didn't materialise and hence Jose had to deal with an extra striker. Jose always wanted to have a world class striker along with Lukaku hence why he went after Eto'o when the Rooney deal did not happen. The only problem was Ba couldn't go out to a club which would have benefitted both the club and him. (Arsenal got Ozil so Jose refused to send him out as he felt they would have become more stronger)

I could care less about his goal scoring record. Darren Bent was prolific once, his all round game is shocking and isn't good enough for where we want to be. Don't mind him staying as 3rd choice if Ba leaves but we should sell if we get a good offer IMO.

I think we went into this season with 3 strikers because Jose wanted to have a "plan B" where he would play two strikers at the same time. He talked about it in preseason and tried it a couple of times at the start of this season but obviously he didn't really like the outcome too much. So he might want to go into next season with only two strikers and not 3 if he wants us to continue with the current system. That way the second striker would still be getting a decent amount of time on the pitch even if he is not first choice.

it makes no sense to have only 2 strikers... strikers get injured quite often imo (don't know why). So it makes no sense we have only two strikers in a 24-man squad. Regardless of the system, there should be three strikers. We don't need three top strikers (that's nearly unrealistic imo) but we could have a world class, a top striker and a squad member striker as we don't exactly have any natural strikers in our Youth that showed they can handle being part of the main team in case any of the two strikers get injured.

it makes no sense to have only 2 strikers... strikers get injured quite often imo (don't know why). So it makes no sense we have only two strikers in a 24-man squad. Regardless of the system, there should be three strikers. We don't need three top strikers (that's nearly unrealistic imo) but we could have a world class, a top striker and a squad member striker as we don't exactly have any natural strikers in our Youth that showed they can handle being part of the main team in case any of the two strikers get injured.

The issue with that is that the third choice striker would practically be unused during the season unless there are injuries.This season all of our strikers were poor and we never really had a first choice striker, but still we ended up with Ba not getting much minutes. Imagine how that will be when we have some like Costa who will start every single match unless he is injured or unless it is a small match that Jose wants to rest him in. Ideally, that third striker would be a youngster who would be on the bench and cover when needed while still playing at times with the U21s to stay fresh, but we all know that's not gonna happen at Chelsea. But like I said, Schurrle can cover for emergencies.

If Jose can decide to play half the season with only 6 defenders for the 4 positions then I'm sure he could decide to go with two strikers for one position.

The issue with that is that the third choice striker would practically be unused during the season unless there are injuries.This season all of our strikers were poor and we never really had a first choice striker, but still we ended up with Ba not getting much minutes. Imagine how that will be when we have some like Costa who will start every single match unless he is injured or unless it is a small match that Jose wants to rest him in. Ideally, that third striker would be a youngster who would be on the bench and cover when needed while still playing at times with the U21s to stay fresh, but we all know that's not gonna happen at Chelsea. But like I said, Schurrle can cover for emergencies.

If Jose can decide to play half the season with only 6 defenders for the 4 positions then I'm sure he could decide to go with two strikers for one position.

Tell me which top-10 team in EPL didn't have their strikers injured this season at least once? Etoo, Torres, Daniel, Aguero, Podolski, van Persie, Lukaku, Dzeko, Rodriguez, etc...

When it comes to strikers injuries aren't about if, but when... in that case having only two is suicidal imo

We got pretty lucky with injuries this season, they were pretty much a non-issue. No bad results can be attributed to injury because we never had a spell like Arsenal to justify that excuse. Next season we may not be so lucky...

Tell me which top-10 team in EPL didn't have their strikers injured this season at least once? Etoo, Torres, Daniel, Aguero, Podolski, van Persie, Lukaku, Dzeko, Rodriguez, etc...

When it comes to strikers injuries aren't about if, but when... in that case having only two is suicidal imo

And how often does it happen that a team has two strikers injured at the same time? I thought it was suicidal that we went into the second half of the season with only six defenders, much much more suicidal especially that defenders get injured as often as strikers do, but we did it because we had a settled back four who were going to start every game if fit. That's my point about next season, if we have striker who we know will start every game if fit, then I can see Jose going with only two striker to eliminate some selection headaches.

Hope we sell in the summer, especially if the Costa rumours are true. We can probably court a £25m+ fee.

Spend the money on a CM. Keep Ba and Eto'o.

Lol. Yep , this is THE striker we need to sell. Have a lollipop!

And how often does it happen that a team has two strikers injured at the same time? I thought it was suicidal that we went into the second half of the season with only six defenders, much much more suicidal especially that defenders get injured as often as strikers do, but we did it because we had a settled back four who were going to start every game if fit. That's my point about next season, if we have striker who we know will start every game if fit, then I can see Jose going with only two striker to eliminate some selection headaches.

That doesn't leave Mourinho with tactical options when 1 striker is injured however.

That doesn't leave Mourinho with tactical options when 1 striker is injured however.

Yeah, I said so in the first post. It will depend on whether or not Jose wants to have a plan B involving two strikers on the pitch at the same time because having done a couple of times at the start of the season he seems to have abandoned it till up until the PSG game.

thank god for a post that stopped me getting warned again .. A squad needs 3 Keepers and a MINIMUM of 3 strikers .. if you are playing with one

or FOUR if you are playing with two

sweetie, that's the point.

If you only have two and one of them is injured, you're screwed because if the guy is having a day off there's no one else to bring. If he feels something during the match - a knock - there's no one else to bring.

Seriously, it makes no sense at all to have only two strikers in a 24-man squad.

And what do defenders have to do with that? In a 24-man squad there are two players for each position, plus a third GK and a ST, your point being...?

Also we have some versatile players such as David Luiz, Oscar, Azpilicueta, Iva - all of which who can play in more than one position decently.

sweetie, that's the point.

If you only have two and one of them is injured, you're screwed because if the guy is having a day off there's no one else to bring. If he feels something during the match - a knock - there's no one else to bring.

Seriously, it makes no sense at all to have only two strikers in a 24-man squad.

And what do defenders have to do with that? In a 24-man squad there are two players for each position, plus a third GK and a ST, your point being...?

Also we have some versatile players such as David Luiz, Oscar, Azpilicueta, Iva - all of which who can play in more than one position decently.

Think we've pretty much covered everything about it. Agree to disagree?