Have we underachieved in the Roman era?

Styles

Have Chelsea underachieved?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have Chelsea underachieved?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Love the positivity and optimism in some people :)

We have had an absolutely superb start to the roman era , but if you would like to face the truth ask this question : Have we underachieved in the last 5 or 6 years ??

Winning only one EPL and once runners-up for UCL is an underachievement for a club that had the talent and squad we had between 2005-2009 Cech , Terry , Essien , Lamps, and Drogba at their peak are one of the best team backbones in history , Keeping in mind that there were no invincible teams a la barca now, and that the EPl was not as tough as now , we have absolutely underachieved.

Well if you really believe we didn't underachieve , Then why did we get rid of Grant , Scolari , Carlo ?? wasn't that because they have underachieved??

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had an absolutely superb start to the roman era , but if you would like to face the truth ask this question : Have we underachieved in the last 5 or 6 years ??

Winning only one EPL and once runners-up for UCL is an underachievement for a club that had the talent and squad we had between 2005-2009 Cech , Terry , Essien , Lamps, and Drogba at their peak are one of the best team backbones in history , Keeping in mind that there were no invincible teams a la barca now, and that the EPl was not as tough as now , we have absolutely underachieved.

Well if you really believe we didn't underachieve , Then why did we get rid of Grant , Scolari , Carlo ?? wasn't that because they have underachieved??

Maybe what you want to say is that in terms of our management, (by the board of course) we've been very inefficient and thus have underachieved because:

1. Avram didn't underachieve. He was fired due to the assumptions that he was not the right person, but given that the whole club was really down with Mourinho's departure when he took over, Grant did pretty well. In fact, he could've clinched a legendary treble for us.

2. It's not really fair to say Carlo underachieved either. He achieved a historic double in his first season, and Chelsea played some magnificent football under him. His second season was very disappointing, but if you consider how he started the season with three senior centre backs (one of which was injured), how he lost Wilkins, and how Essien, Malouda and Anelka just gave up on him, it really wasn't entirely his fault. Besides, second place doesn't mean the world is going to collapse. I bet Arsenal will be overjoyed if they ever end a season as runners-up.

And let's not belittle our OWN achievements by saying things like "it was easier back then," or "we won only by one point." You really sound like you want our 'undeserved' trophies to be taken away.

Don't look at statistics, they mean little. Look at how we've played over the years the best teams we've defeated. The players we've fell in love with and how close we've come. This is the problem arsenal have, they look at six trophyless years, but never despite the fact they've came cloar to a league title, they're always in champions league and they have beat great teams and raised fine players. Stats prove little in my opinion.

Statistics in this case are crucial. We're talking about achieving or underachieving, this is determined by having the label of having won that competition, whether it is there in black and white. -you mention the Arse -it's blatantly obvious they've underachieved.

Three Premier League titles, three FA cups and two League cups is phenomenal. I've supported since 1967 seeing cup winners cup, FA Cup in in 1970, and the Full Members Cup win. but perhaps the sweetest was winning the 2nd Div. prior to Abramovich. People are spoilt nowdays, want it immediately, no wonder theres looting.

I think we did more than great. Look at City, I know they wasnt in the same position before the take over(we were in the top 4, they were in the mid table),

but still, look at the players they purchased, look at their squad. And with all that they won one FA cup, when we won back to back titles and an FA cup

in 3 seasons. As for the 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 seasons- yes in those years we kind a underachieved, our team was better than just an FA cup.

But we underachieved in those two seasons becasue of two reasons(has been said before in this topic):

1. Roman's ego(the sack of Mourinho). 2. Bad luck(CL final, and than ridiculous referee against us). So those years were a bit painful for us.

But it happens in football.

But overall, it amazes me of what did we become, 3 PL titles, 3 FA cups, 2 League Cups, and of course great performances in the CL inculdes a CL final

that went to penalties. So we should have won the CL, I think in one of the 08/09 or 07/08 seasons(i cant agree about 04/05 when Liverpool

would have got a peneltey if the Phantom goal wasnt allowed, and Cech would have got a red card. And for the 03/04... nah, werent good enough).

But it we'll come. Just think that the great Barcelona won their first only in 1992! Think that Fergie's United, "only" won it 2 times. With their amazing

number of league titles, two isnt an amazing number of CL's in 20 years. Look at Inter Milan who waited 50 years I think to win it for the second time...

We did great in all fronts imo. And it will be even better, if not right now so in a couple of years with Boas...

Super post, wholeheartedly agree. I also agree that we underachieved between 2007 and 2009, one FA Cup medal to show for the period is pretty poor, but we were simply out of luck. We were done by the width of the post in the UCL final, a fluky Woodgate goal in the Carling Cup final and lost the league by only two points, we certainly deserved at least one of those trophies.

Of course we have not underachieved. We have been a huge success and as well as winning plenty of silverware we have established ourselves as one of the top clubs in world football, not an easy thing to do when you are not part of the "established order" of top European clubs. And on top of that we are definately going to win more and more in the future so i think we have definately been a success, no-one has a right to win every year.

the time span in the original post named the Roman era ...love THE NEGATIVE way you changed the time to ignore our first two EPL titles.

statistics can be misleading without deliberately twisting them...the remark about Barca was spurious, and proved nothing

The fact that greats like Lampard, Drogba, Terry , Essien, Cech have won only 3 titles in their prime and No Champions League is proof that we have underachieved and the blame lies with the Board.

The 04-05 and 05-06 team HAS got to be the best team to have never won the Champions League and you can blame the luck for all you want but the fact remains this team deserved more than it achieved and it's a shame that they are still without a Champions League.

The fact that greats like Lampard, Drogba, Terry , Essien, Cech have won only 3 titles in their prime and No Champions League is proof that we have underachieved and the blame lies with the Board.

The 04-05 and 05-06 team HAS got to be the best team to have never won the Champions League and you can blame the luck for all you want but the fact remains this team deserved more than it achieved and it's a shame that they are still without a Champions League.

ok we hear what you keep saying ..BUT most disagree with you ... Just accept they are entitled to their views..

Well Let's break this down ....

2003-2004 : EPL runners-up (very good considering this was our 1st season in roman's era)

2004-2005: EPL winners (Superb achievement specially because of the way it was delivered)

2005-2006: EPL winners (Superb achievement specially because of the way it was delivered , Although getting out of UCL was a dissapointement)

2006-2007: EPL runners up and UCL semi-finals (Big disappointment after the last two seasons but acceptable for the same reason )

2007-2008: EPL runners up and UCL runners up (Huge disappointment as it's another year without an EPL or UCL title)

2008-2009: EPL runners up and UCL semi-finals (another huge disappointment specially because of the bad display during scolari's time)

2009 - 2010: EPL winners and UCL quarter-finals ( Not a bad season as we won our 1st double but not a good one considering how we were humiliated for the 1st time in 7 years in the UCL , and considering that we had no challengers in the EPL.

2010-2011 : EPL runners up and UCL quarter-finals(The biggest disappointment of all , another humiliation in the UCL and how did Man utd capture another league title with the squad they had is beyond me)

So to summarize we had 3 good/great season and we had 5 seasons of disappointment , if we had 2 or 3 seasons at the start of the roman era without winning titles i would have understand but since we had a great start winning 2 EPL titles in a classy way and since we had already established ourselves as a big team the following six years was a big disappointment.

Well Let's break this down ....

2003-2004 : EPL runners-up (very good considering this was our 1st season in roman's era)

2004-2005: EPL winners (Superb achievement specially because of the way it was delivered)

2005-2006: EPL winners (Superb achievement specially because of the way it was delivered , Although getting out of UCL was a dissapointement)

2006-2007: EPL runners up and UCL semi-finals (Big disappointment after the last two seasons but acceptable for the same reason )

2007-2008: EPL runners up and UCL runners up (Huge disappointment as it's another year without an EPL or UCL title)

2008-2009: EPL runners up and UCL semi-finals (another huge disappointment specially because of the bad display during scolari's time)

2009 - 2010: EPL winners and UCL quarter-finals ( Not a bad season as we won our 1st double but not a good one considering how we were humiliated for the 1st time in 7 years in the UCL , and considering that we had no challengers in the EPL.

2010-2011 : EPL runners up and UCL quarter-finals(The biggest disappointment of all , another humiliation in the UCL and how did Man utd capture another league title with the squad they had is beyond me)

So to summarize we had 3 good/great season and we had 5 seasons of disappointment , if we had 2 or 3 seasons at the start of the roman era without winning titles i would have understand but since we had a great start winning 2 EPL titles in a classy way and since we had already established ourselves as a big team the following six years was a big disappointment.

join warnie and have a wake to celebrate the demise of CFC

join warnie and have a wake to celebrate the demise of CFC

Err..... underachievement of a club is synonymous to demise of a club? Stupid assumption...

People who live in denial and assume things are rosy frustrate me.

Answer this zolayes since you have been so passionately saying we have not underachieved.

Don't you think players of the caliber of Lampard, Terry, Drogba, Essien, Cech deserve a Champions League medal?

Err..... underachievement of a club is synonymous to demise of a club? Stupid assumption...

Answer this zolayes since you have been so passionately saying we have not underachieved.

Don't you think players of the caliber of Lampard, Terry, Drogba, Essien, Cech deserve a Champions League medal?

you are so ingrained in your conviction nothing will persuade you .. Zola deserved an EPL title ..if he had stayed 2 years longer he would have

got one ... To say we have failed because certain players didnt get a CL medal is childish in the extreme . .I will leave you and your friend

to share your misery together ,,,I prefer to remember the happy times .

check the vote 22 6

Create another voting topic on this forum and ask what's the greatest team in the world right now ?

I bet chelsea will win , but are we the greatest team in the world ? No , we are not .

I love chelsea but unlike others i can admit that we are miles away from being the greatest football team , hope you get my point.