Drogba: Prejudice A Fact Of Life For African Players

Steve

Chelsea superstar Didier Drogba claims that there is an inherent bias against African players that afflicts the European game.

Speaking from the African Cup of Nations, the Ivory Coast goal machine gave a blunt assessment on what life is like as an African player abroad, insisting that the playing field is still uneven.

“I sincerely believe that if you are a black African footballer you do not get equality," he lamented.

“Even today if one talks with a sponsor about a particular deal or negotiates with a club they will simply tell you ‘accept it - that’s the way it is’.

“For example if a player was part of the France national team instead of being from a black African national side, then the negotiations would be much smoother and, when they are concluded, you’d earn more.

“In the world of football an African is not given the same degree of respect as a European or a South American. I’ve been a victim of such biased and unjust negotiations on more than one occasion in my career.

“The difference, today, is that I know what I’m worth and it does not embarrass me to tell people exactly that and to fight for it.”

Drogba is being tipped for a blockbuster summer transfer away for Stamford Bridge, so there is little doubt that he will be even less shy than usual to remeind the powers that be of his worth.

Source: Goal

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah that's why they fall over themselves to get into the english game the pay's so bad!

simple answer is if they offer an inferior deal wtf take it.... turn it down and go elsewhere.

drogba's comments of late are really pissing me off, sometimes i just wish he'd piss off and moan for AC Milan or Barca.

rant over.

regards:JBD