Villain of the Season

Article from Teamtalk who has given Mr. Abramovich the title as the number one villain of the season,

Totally agree in every word!.

Let the Roman empire fall, so we can build a new Rome.

1. Roman Abramovich:

Chelsea started the season on fire, scoring 21 goals, and conceding just one in their first five games. Many thought that they would breeze through the season untouched by even the likes of Manchester United, especially after winning the Double the previous year.

But that wasn't the case, and come the end of January, Chelsea were fourth in the table, 10 points behind leaders United and needing some sort of miracle to have any chance of regaining the title.

This hopeful miracle came in the form of Fernando Torres, who came to Chelsea from Liverpool for a British transfer record of £50million. A move which fans believe wasn't the doing of Carlo Ancelotti, but that of meddling owner Abramovich, who must ultimately shoulder the blame for the Blues' failure to lift any silverware this season.

It's safe to say Torres didn't live up to this price tag, and it took him 14 games, and some pretty poor performances, just to net his first goal for the club.

Even before the whole Torres saga, Chelsea had controversially sacked assistant manager Ray Wilkins in November.

Wilkins insisted he knew nothing about the shock sacking before it happened, and was expecting to sign a new contract with the club, as his current deal was due to run out.

After Wilkins was sacked, the Chelsea team was clearly rocked, and it showed as their subsequent form dropped rapidly.

Wilkins is believed to have stood up to Abramovich's entourage in a training-ground incident - and getting rid of him robbed the players of a 'middle man' who they could confide in if they had any problems.

Ancelotti claimed when Torres was signed that he had wanted him in the summer, but the way he failed to find a system in which the Spaniard could play with star striker Didier Drogba suggests otherwise.

Abramovich sacked Ancelotti after their final-day-defeat to Everton, and although Blues fans were upset, the former AC Milan coach had had the look of a dead man walking for weeks.

The Chelsea owner is desperate for Champions League glory and should have stood behind a man who has conquered Europe twice, taking a leaf out of Manchester United's book when it comes to backing a manager.

As it is, the Blues are currently managerless, with Abramovich seemingly set to turn to Guus Hiddink this summer.

But his antics this season meant he swept the board when it came readers nominating who they think has been the biggest Villain of the Season.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/6963212/TEAMtalk-Soccers-Villain-of-the-Season

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More likely the 'advisors' hanging round, and a certain Mr Gourlay, anyway he's a saint compared to the parasitical Glazer clan....

This.

Exactly, like FB says.

Roman doesn't make such decision without the advice of his board, he's not a stupid man. They should bare the brunt of this incident.

Totally agree, didn't Gourlay say, the "board" will sit down before the end of the season, and decide Carlo's fate? well suddenly he got fired and it is just Roman that did it.... smh

Fuck OFF !!!!!

Enough with the Roman bashing !!

Roman Abrahimovic is by all means a great man and a great owner as well , Let's discuss his so called mistakes :

1) The sacking of the special one :

Here is the obvious what most of the people think , How can you sack the special one ?? a manager who got you 2 EPLs in 3 years ?? the man who made chelsea champions ??

Mourinho is without a doubt a great manager but back then Chelsea was a newly big team and needed to gain popularity and supporters and with mourinho it's almost guaranteed that would have never happened with the required rate as he was " the enemy of football " , may be he has changed a bit now but as much as i love the guy and he was the main reason i started supporting chelsea but i have to admit back then he was such a pain in the ass that we were gaining more haters than lovers .

Another factor is his Football tactics , as mentioned before we needed more popularity and our game approach under Jose would never win you any fans , to be honest there was a lot of games under Jose that i who is a huge chelsea fan was bored watching the game , so how do you expect to win new fans .

2)The sacking of Avram grant :

i don't even to discuss that but i will as he is one of the so called 7 sacked managers .

Grant was here on a temporary basis and the agreement between him and the club was pretty clear that he would leave at the end of that season

3)The sacking of scolari :

Another so called sacked manager

Scolari deserved the sack , in fact he owned the sack he was a disaster and sacking him was the right thing to do other-wise we would have been humiliated back then just like the humiliation we had this season due to the lateness of carlo's sacking.

4)Hiddink :

Another man who was here on temporary basis and left at the end of the season .

5)The sacking of ray wilkins :

A great coach and assistant , carlo praised him and he was a great help for carlo

this man in my opinion is the only one who didn't deserve the sack , but i don't know the circumstances or the reasons of the sacking .

6) the sacking of Ancelotti :

he is a decent man , whom everyone loved and respected . he won the double in his 1st season and was the runner-up in 2nd one , how can you sack him ??and the team even played their best football under him scoring 103 goals 1st season

• the fact that we won the double means nothing to me because of the reasons and way we won it , if grant was still here he would ve won the double with the squad we had last year , the gap in squad strength and depth between us and our nearest challengers (man utd) was so big that we should have won that league 7 or 8 weeks before it's end , but even then we had to win the league by a difference of 1 point at the last game of the season .
  • Only under Carlo Ancelotti chelsea became not a force to reckon in europe , even during our worst seasons before carlo ( 2007-2008 , 2008-2009 ) we were in the final and in the semis , yes we lost but we weren't humiliated or looked clueless as we looked with carlo against inter and man utd .

• in fact it's not just about UCL , before carlo ancelotti we could ve faced any team in the world even the great barca without feeling we are not equally favorites , we fans and players always looked pretty confident that whoever we faced we could win but with carlo it was more of the opposite as we have always felt we are not the favorites in any big game and that we could easily lose .

• Tactically very weak , can't motivate his players and get the best out of them , the team looks clueless under-him.

In fact i think carlo should have been sacked in december and if that was to happen we would have been in wembley against barca one week ago .

I don't get why does roman get all the blame for sacking those men , in fact i can only blame him for one thing and it's certainly not the sacking of those managers but it's the appointment of the likes of scolari and ancelotti .

In roman i trust

Fuck OFF !!!!!

Roman Abrahimovic is by all means a great man and a great owner as well , Let's discuss his so called mistakes :

Here is the obvious what most of the people think , How can you sack the special one ?? a manager who got you 2 EPLs in 3 years ?? the man who made chelsea champions ??

Mourinho is without a doubt a great manager but back then Chelsea was a newly big team and needed to gain popularity and supporters and with mourinho it's almost guaranteed that would have never happened with the required rate as he was " the enemy of football " , may be he has changed a bit now but as much as i love the guy and he was the main reason i started supporting chelsea but i have to admit back then he was such a pain in the ass that we were gaining more haters than lovers .

Another factor is his Football tactics , as mentioned before we needed more popularity and our game approach under Jose would never win you any fans , to be honest there was a lot of games under Jose that i who is a huge chelsea fan was bored watching the game , so how do you expect to win new fans .

i don't even to discuss that but i will as he is one of the so called 7 sacked managers .

Grant was here on a temporary basis and the agreement between him and the club was pretty clear that he would leave at the end of that season

Scolari deserved the sack , in fact he owned the sack he was a disaster and sacking him was the right thing to do other-wise we would have been humiliated back then just like the humiliation we had this season due to the lateness of carlo's sacking.

4)Hiddink :

A great coach and assistant , carlo praised him and he was a great help for carlo

this man in my opinion is the only one who didn't deserve the sack , but i don't know the circumstances or the reasons of the sacking .

he is a decent man , whom everyone loved and respected . he won the double in his 1st season and was the runner-up in 2nd one , how can you sack him ??and the team even played their best football under him scoring 103 goals 1st season

• the fact that we won the double means nothing to me because of the reasons and way we won it , if grant was still here he would ve won the double with the squad we had last year , the gap in squad strength and depth between us and our nearest challengers (man utd) was so big that we should have won that league 7 or 8 weeks before it's end , but even then we had to win the league by a difference of 1 point at the last game of the season .
  • Only under Carlo Ancelotti chelsea became not a force to reckon in europe , even during our worst seasons before carlo ( 2007-2008 , 2008-2009 ) we were in the final and in the semis , yes we lost but we weren't humiliated or looked clueless as we looked with carlo against inter and man utd .

• in fact it's not just about UCL , before carlo ancelotti we could ve faced any team in the world even the great barca without feeling we are not equally favorites , we fans and players always looked pretty confident that whoever we faced we could win but with carlo it was more of the opposite as we have always felt we are not the favorites in any big game and that we could easily lose .

• Tactically very weak , can't motivate his players and get the best out of them , the team looks clueless under-him.

In fact i think carlo should have been sacked in december and if that was to happen we would have been in wembley against barca one week ago .

I don't get why does roman get all the blame for sacking those men , in fact i can only blame him for one thing and it's certainly not the sacking of those managers but it's the appointment of the likes of scolari and ancelotti .

In roman i trust

Great post.

Saying things like 'let the roman empire fall’ and calling him a ‘villain’ lacks sense when you don't know the circumstances or the reasons for the sacking, especially surrounding the Wilkins fiasco, Roman is not alone here.

Thing is, no one knows the extent of his input so its largely guesswork.

You suspect that Shevchenko and Torres were his fantasy football ideas -but his israeli billionaire super agent mate Pini Zahavi probably nudges him now and then -and why not when you're on 10% commision ?

Fuck OFF !!!!!

4)Hiddink :

In roman i trust

Essentially I do agree with the 'fuck off' bit & most of you're post.

However just some things that I would question & the first being Jose. His sacking was undoubtedly the reason why we find ourselves in this unfortunate predicament we are in now. I couldn't give a flying fuck who didn't like us back then nor could 90 odd percent of our fans, they didn't like us because we were successful, we broke up the dynasty of Scum U & Arse so they didn't like it but hatred & jealousy come hand in hand when you get to the top, Jose got us there & yeah sometimes he went a little over the top but there was a always a reason behind it & that was to shield his players. Jose would of built a footballing dynasty at our club if Roman would of left him to run things his way. It was also misleading about the type of football we played under him, sure he could of been more expansive at times but his hands were tied when we had Robben, Duff & Joey Cole injured.

Avram Grant had a 3 year contract & was given compensation after his sacking - it was not a temporary appointment.

Sacking Wilkins was another major Roman blunder imho, we had a collapse after his departure - one that probably cost us the title, agree wholeheartedly about this.

The main problem we have with Roman is the meddling, if we are to progress to another level he has to keep his fingers out of the pie & let the new man run it his way. We don't need another 'yes man' we need another Jose who won't let his superiors interfere.

Roman wants only the best for our club, I genuinely hope he also has learned from his mistakes & now employs the right man to take us forward but I think we may have to wait a year for that.

:lol: now that's going to stir some heat

You're a reasonable man. :D

We are unable to judge where our youth stand now. Ancelotti must share the responsibility.

Don't agree with that.

Essentially I do agree with the 'fuck off' bit & most of you're post.

However just some things that I would question & the first being Jose. His sacking was undoubtedly the reason why we find ourselves in this unfortunate predicament we are in now. I couldn't give a flying fuck who didn't like us back then nor could 90 odd percent of our fans, they didn't like us because we were successful, we broke up the dynasty of Scum U & Arse so they didn't like it but hatred & jealousy come hand in hand when you get to the top, Jose got us there & yeah sometimes he went a little over the top but there was a always a reason behind it & that was to shield his players. Jose would of built a footballing dynasty at our club if Roman would of left him to run things his way. It was also misleading about the type of football we played under him, sure he could of been more expansive at times but his hands were tied when we had Robben, Duff & Joey Cole injured.

Avram Grant had a 3 year contract & was given compensation after his sacking - it was not a temporary appointment.

Sacking Wilkins was another major Roman blunder imho, we had a collapse after his departure - one that probably cost us the title, agree wholeheartedly about this.

The main problem we have with Roman is the meddling, if we are to progress to another level he has to keep his fingers out of the pie & let the new man run it his way. We don't need another 'yes man' we need another Jose who won't let his superiors interfere.

Roman wants only the best for our club, I genuinely hope he also has learned from his mistakes & now employs the right man to take us forward but I think we may have to wait a year for that.

imo Romans biggest mistake was giving Grant a 3 year deal...

What crap, pure and utter crap. Roman Abramovich villain of the season? Are you having a laugh? Far from giving him stupid awards like villain of the season, you should be on your knees thanking your lucky starts for what Roman has done for us since he has been at Chelsea and in particular this season.

If you were to believe the media perception of Abramovich pre January then he was a man who had fallen out of love with Chelsea and out of love with the game, who no longer felt any need to pump any great amounts of money into the club and who wasn't far from walking away from it all, from taking his ball and going home. Keep in mind, at the time we had a real crisis on hand, some said we wouldn;t qualify for the Champions League nxt season and that would be an outright disaster for the club, Roman could have sat back and done nothing about it but instead he went into the transfer window and he paid 50 million out of his considerably deep pockets to bring us Torres, ok so Torres didn't really work out last season but he has given us a world class striker who will be the main man at Chelsea for years to come. Oh he also spent 25 million on young Brazilian centre back, David Luiz, arguably the best young centre back on the planet, he also found the time to spent 5 million on Lucas Piazon.

80 million not good enough for you? Try this. For some, second place and a Champions League quater final is good enough, not for Roman Abramovich, who had to pay 6 million to sack Ancelotti and will now pay even more money to bring in a top calibre replacement, some would have taken the easier (and cheaper) option and just left it as it is, Roman Abramovich cares enough about this club to realise that all wasn't right under Ancelotti and that a drastic change was needed. Far from chastising him, you should be applauding him for what he has done for the greater long term benefits of the club this past season.