Which signing excited you the most?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few really, this is like excitement when we heard we were signing them right? Soz for a long list, it's not fair tro miss some out. And no Zola because i wasn't sure how good he was or who he was.

Overwhelming (Kinda in order but not fully. Top 3 are)

1) Shevchenko

2) Torres

3) Ballack

4) Crespo

5) Laudrup

6) Weah

7) Desailly

8) Hughes

9) Gullit

10) Drogba

11) Joe Cole

12) Veron

13) Hasselbaink

14) Ashley Cole

15) Vialli

Underwhelming

1) Jarosik

2) Maniche

3) Turnbull

4) Ferreira

5) Tiago

6) Panucci

7) Lampard (Yes, not a typo. Didn't want him, end of)

8) Sutton

9) Lambourde

10) Phelan

11) Ramires

12) De Goey

13) Sturridge

14) Diarra

15) De Lucas

There's more but i'll leave it.

Edited by OllieCFC

Overwhelming

1. Ruud Gullit - Couldn't believe it when he signed, a true legend of the game and someone who I thought we'd have no chance of getting.

2. Gianluca Vialli - See above, I remember watching him playing for Juve in the CL final (which they won) and thinking, 'I can't believe he's coming to Chelsea.'

3. Gianfranco Zola - I think Zola joined around the same time as Vialli and while I had no idea of the level of success he'd have here I just couldn't believe these type of players were signing for us.

I can understand the people who are saying Torres or Sheva but, as soon as Roman came in, I always knew that those types of signings were inevitable and therefore less exciting. Those three that I mentioned came after years of Stein and Spencer up front ffs so it meant more to me when a name like Gullit signed back then.

Underwhelming

1. De Lucas - For exactly the reasons that Tomo gave.

2. Ben Haim - Seems like Jose wasn't going to get any money that year, Ben Haim was the result.

3. Benayoun - Decent player on his day but as Kez said, I expected we'd have someone better lined up to replace Joe Cole.

I'd like to add Veron to the underwhelming list ... such admirable decision making on our part to sign him for that amount from United who probably couldn't believe their luck after the season he'd had there. :rolleyes:

Kenyon proved his credentials to us that day :D

What's Torres and Sheva doing on most posters overwhelming list. The former appeared to have lost the golden touch and also injury plagued while the latter was simply too old (29 at the time) and past his prime . so what's the justification for the excitement. I guess kaka and pirlo would make the list to if we manage to sign them. smh

Anyway to the topic.. Overexcited signings were

1) Alex

2) Essien

3)Mikel Obi

Underwhelming

1) Torres

2) Sheva

3)Turnbull

because they are stating the 3 buys that excited them most at the time ,,,not the best buys...I would have thought that was too difficult for you to understand ..

3 I was most excited by

Gullit

Desailly

Ballack

Overwhelming

Fernando Torres - Could not wait to tear into the local Liverpool fans for this one. I could not believe my eyes, and hopefully I won't be able to believe my eyes next season when he get 30+ goals...

Underwhelming

Ramires - Didn't know much about him, but he has turned into a real top notch player.