The English Football Thread

Steve

15 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

2008-09: Spent: 65.4, Sold: 7.6

2009-10: Spent: 94.2, Sold: 109.1

Total net spend = 42.9 for 2 seasons. I dont think that is anywhere near hundreds of millions. Also, I dont see a sense of counting etoo as a 30 mil buy when they lost one of the best strikers in world football in the same deal. Spurs have a net spend of 110 mil for the last 5 seasons, so pretty much in the same ball park. Is not it? 

Spending big money is still spending big money. Besides, you’re counting just 2 clubs. What about Chelsea (twice), Real Madrid and Man United? Main point here is he’s always gone to clubs with big spending power - apart from Porto but that was more than 15 years ago - and Spurs don’t quite fit the bill.

16 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

When I said its been built of players doing his bidding, it was based on the fact that most of his success was not based on world class players playing teams out of the park. porto had no world class players when they won the CL. JT, DD, Lamps, Essien, Cole , ferreira, carvalho were not world class players in 04/05. 

I am not disagreeing that he HAS spent a lot. And infact, I feel that has been his downfall and the way spurs are might actually help him in that case. With a stingy budget and wages as well as poorer pull of the club, he will have to settle for tier B players. I also feel all of these things (budget constraints) would have been discussed by the likes of JOse and Levy before hand, would not it? As much as we would like, those people are not stupid and actually do know what they are doing. 

Our situation in 2004/05 was somewhat different than now. It allowed a tad more room to get young and upcoming players and build from there. Moreover, Mourinho spent quite a bit during his first spell here, let’s not forget that.

If Mourinho has suddenly made 180 degrees change, then fair play but if his recent history is anything to go by, then this won’t go well at Spurs because he’s not going to be able to spend big money. When he came back here in 2013, he looked like a changed man, calling himself ‘The Happy One’ and all that but it didn’t take long before he reverted to his old self.

• Replies 65k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Spending big money is still spending big money. Besides, you’re counting just 2 clubs. What about Chelsea (twice), Real Madrid and Man United? Main point here is he’s always gone to clubs with big spending power - apart from Porto but that was more than 15 years ago - and Spurs don’t quite fit the bill.

Our situation in 2004/05 was somewhat different than now. It allowed a tad more room to get young and upcoming players and build from there. Moreover, Mourinho spent quite a bit during his first spell here, let’s not forget that.

If Mourinho has suddenly made 180 degrees change, then fair play but if his recent history is anything to go by, then this won’t go well at Spurs because he’s not going to be able to spend big money. When he came back here in 2013, he looked like a changed man, calling himself ‘The Happy One’ and all that but it didn’t take long before he reverted to his old self.

Read what I said in the first post. I think it was self explanatory. You said "he won't get hundreds of millions to spend", I said his most successful stints have been when he has not had hundreds of millions to spend. So I don't know why you are shifting goals posts now by bringing United in the picture. I think the point is can Jose do a good job with stringent transfer budget or not. And the answer is yes, he can, and he has. 

What a weird thing to say "big money spent is money spent". Really? So we would be fine selling Kante and getting let's say a washed out modric + 100m and saying that see, we spent 30/40m on modric. Cause that's exactly the kind of transfer ibra = etoo+cash was. Just looking at spend is wrong as it does not show how much quality the team lost compared to what's it gained. 

In his first stint here, he had a mid table team. Spurs are anything but that, they have some quality and are the CL finalist. I don't think this and that are comparable. 

As for his 2ns stint, a title challenge to the 2nd last week, and a PL title in the first 2 years off a team that has struggled to get top 4 in the 2 seasons before that (11/12, 12/13). Not bad, was it? Yes, things did not end well, but how much of it was on Jose and him reverting to his old self, how much on the board and how much on the players, is up for discussion. Only thing I would say is, he wanted a CM and a CB, as did Conte who got Kante and Luiz the next summer. 

9 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Didn't Lyon president said like month ago Jose rejected Lyon waiting for job in London or something. It all makes sense now. 

Lyon would be fun for a year or two just because of the FOOD. Best on the planet, IMHO. 

O

M

G

you have not lived until you have had quenelles de brochet Nantua  or gâteau de foie blond with an intense Côtes-du-Rhône red wine (which are just dirt cheap for a superb local bottle) :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Image result for Nantua pike quenelles

gateau-de-foie-blond.jpg

25 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

Read what I said in the first post. I think it was self explanatory. You said "he won't get hundreds of millions to spend", I said his most successful stints have been when he has not had hundreds of millions to spend. So I don't know why you are shifting goals posts now by bringing United in the picture. I think the point is can Jose do a good job with stringent transfer budget or not. And the answer is yes, he can, and he has. 

Oh he can but that was more than 15 years ago at Porto. If he bins all his usual BS stuff and shows he can evolve, then there is a good manager there but there hasn’t been much of that in recent years. So let’s see.

28 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

What a weird thing to say "big money spent is money spent". Really? So we would be fine selling Kante and getting let's say a washed out modric + 100m and saying that see, we spent 30/40m on modric. Cause that's exactly the kind of transfer ibra = etoo+cash was. Just looking at spend is wrong as it does not show how much quality the team lost compared to what's it gained. 

Whether it was a swap deal or not, they still splashed out the money. They still decided it was the best course of action in that Eto’o was a better fit for what Mourinho wanted. 

32 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

In his first stint here, he had a mid table team. Spurs are anything but that, they have some quality and are the CL finalist. I don't think this and that are comparable. 

Calling us a mid table team before he arrived is a bit much, no? We finished 2nd the season before he came and in the Top 6 in 7 seasons prior while winning trophies along the way. Spurs have only 1 trophy to show for in 20+ years along with some Top 4 finishes.

35 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

As for his 2ns stint, a title challenge to the 2nd last week, and a PL title in the first 2 years off a team that has struggled to get top 4 in the 2 seasons before that (11/12, 12/13). Not bad, was it? Yes, things did not end well, but how much of it was on Jose and him reverting to his old self, how much on the board and how much on the players, is up for discussion. Only thing I would say is, he wanted a CM and a CB, as did Conte who got Kante and Luiz the next summer

There’s no excuse for what he did and how he behaved in 2015/16, regardless of whether he got what he wanted.

51 minutes ago, Jason said:

Oh he can but that was more than 15 years ago at Porto. If he bins all his usual BS stuff and shows he can evolve, then there is a good manager there but there hasn’t been much of that in recent years. So let’s see.

Whether it was a swap deal or not, they still splashed out the money. They still decided it was the best course of action in that Eto’o was a better fit for what Mourinho wanted. 

Calling us a mid table team before he arrived is a bit much, no? We finished 2nd the season before he came and in the Top 6 in 7 seasons prior while winning trophies along the way. Spurs have only 1 trophy to show for in 20+ years along with some Top 4 finishes.

There’s no excuse for what he did and how he behaved in 2015/16, regardless of whether he got what he wanted.

If you have the resources, you use them. You don't shackle yourself with self imposed constraints. With the clubs Jose was a manger of (Chelsea, RM, Chelsea, United), he had the resources, and he spent them, also in each of those clubs, there was a need to get immediate success, is that the case with spurs? 

If you do a swap deal, and come out with a better fit and cash, you should be praised for it. Like I said before, just looking at spend as a barometer is wrong, and I am sure you know that too. 

94-95 : 11th

95-96 : 11th

96-97 : 6th

97-98 : 4th

98-99 : 3rd.

99-00 : 5th

00-01 : 6th

01-02 : 6th

02-03 : 4th

So fair enough, a top 6 team who were closer to 10th than 1st though in terms of points?

Definitely lower than spurs have been since poch has taken over. 

Massively agree to disagree here. A manager who knows that his team is in a dire need of reinforcements and does not get it, not because the club don't have the resources but because the club simply did not want to, has every right to feel aggrieved. 

4 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

94-95 : 11th

95-96 : 11th

96-97 : 6th

97-98 : 4th

98-99 : 3rd.

99-00 : 5th

00-01 : 6th

01-02 : 6th

02-03 : 4th

So fair enough, a top 6 team who were closer to 10th than 1st though in terms of points?

Definitely lower than spurs have been since poch has taken over. 

Yeah but how many trophies did Pochettino win compared to us back then?

5 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

Massively agree to disagree here. A manager who knows that his team is in a dire need of reinforcements and does not get it, not because the club don't have the resources but because the club simply did not want to, has every right to feel aggrieved

No one said he’s not wrong to feel aggrieved but how is it right for him to lambast the medic publicly, saying a player was faking injury, throwing players under the bus every week, moaning about decisions every week, basically just making everything at the club toxic and miserable? If you really think it’s okay for him to have done all that, then I don’t know what to say...

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah but how many trophies did Pochettino win compared to us back then?

No one said he’s not wrong to feel aggrieved but how is it right for him to lambast the medic publicly, saying a player was faking injury, throwing players under the bus every week, moaning about decisions every week, basically just making everything at the club toxic and miserable? If you really think it’s okay for him to have done all that, then I don’t know what to say...

The trophy point is irrelevant to the discussion. The point I am trying to make is the quality of the clubs that Jose is taking over. This spurs squad is better than that Chelsea squad.

Totally agree with the medic point. The eva-gate was shambles but hardly something that brought the worst season Vibe. Was not that in the first or second game of the season? As for throwing the players under the bus, did they deserve anything else? The fuckers bottled it, and that's the truth. Again, I don't think I have said Jose was absolved of every thing he did. I think it was a 3 way fuck up. If you think the players and board  have no part in the 15/16, then I don't know what to say.

I think we are digressing massively from where it all started, which was Jose needs hundreds of millions. Anyways.

10 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

The trophy point is irrelevant to the discussion. The point I am trying to make is the quality of the clubs that Jose is taking over. This spurs squad is better than that Chelsea squad.

If so, then how come they haven’t won anything?

10 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

Totally agree with the medic point. The eva-gate was shambles but hardly something that brought the worst season Vibe. Was not that in the first or second game of the season? As for throwing the players under the bus, did they deserve anything else? The fuckers bottled it, and that's the truth. Again, I don't think I have said Jose was absolved of every thing he did. I think it was a 3 way fuck up. If you think the players and board  have no part in the 15/16, then I don't know what to say.

The board and players weren’t faultless but that’s still no excuse how he went about doing things that season. If we are all happy with the way Lampard is managing the team right now, then how can’t people be okay with what Mourinho did back then? The atmosphere and mood is night and day. Criticizing the players is one thing but throwing them under the bus and doing so every week? That surely has served Mourinho well, hasn’t it?