test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Steve

The English Football Thread

Started by Steve,

Very sad news. I hope he gets well without any permanent damage in his brain.

Johnnyeye likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Huddersfield didn't do bad with a 0-0. Must have given them some confidence.Theyre going to go all out on wednesday. Lets hope today makes our confidence high too!!!!!

premier_league_table_-_Google_Search_-_2018-05-06_15_59_18.thumb.jpg.92f103663d13fd3f37d3e8b6803b327d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Well Huddersfield didn't do bad with a 0-0. Must have given them some confidence.Theyre going to go all out on wednesday. Lets hope today makes our confidence high too!!!!!

premier_league_table_-_Google_Search_-_2018-05-06_15_59_18.thumb.jpg.92f103663d13fd3f37d3e8b6803b327d.jpg

Swans v Saints should be some game on Tuesday

Johnnyeye and Unionjack like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, milan.cech said:

Swans v Saints should be some game on Tuesday

Fighting for their lives this lot. Brings great atmosphere.

Bet there shall be some seeing vinegar tits off today too. All their fans are getting a free t shirt lol Will be very interesting to see who gets what manager and how we respond to them next year.

Tho I'm still not sure Roman will kick Antonio out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole Williams and Rix 'Racist' scandal is back. Thats all we fuckin need! 

Racial abuse at Chelsea youth club: More victims emerge

Seven ex-players are taking legal action against the football club, with two former teammates claiming they witnessed the abuse.

https://news.sky.com/story/racial-abuse-at-chelsea-youth-club-more-victims-emerge-11363568

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unionjack said:

The whole Williams and Rix 'Racist' scandal is back. Thats all we fuckin need! 

Racial abuse at Chelsea youth club: More victims emerge

Seven ex-players are taking legal action against the football club, with two former teammates claiming they witnessed the abuse.

https://news.sky.com/story/racial-abuse-at-chelsea-youth-club-more-victims-emerge-11363568

great, more negative vibe towards us, just typical when we reach a crucial stage in our season this kind of bad press shows up

Unionjack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Unionjack said:

The whole Williams and Rix 'Racist' scandal is back. Thats all we fuckin need! 

https://news.sky.com/story/racial-abuse-at-chelsea-youth-club-more-victims-emerge-11363568

As a kid I remember only one black player Paul Ince in the English national team and wondered why that was the case. Do you think this was happening at a lot of clubs back then or was there other reasons?

140965.jpg

In this team there is not even one black player for example. What was going on back then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 11Drogba said:

As a kid I remember only one black player Paul Ince in the English national team and wondered why that was the case. Do you think this was happening at a lot of clubs back then or was there other reasons?

140965.jpg

In this team there is not even one black player for example. What was going on back then?

To be fair that was England's best team for 30 years don't know where Ince was for that game as it's Euro 96. In the squad were Sol Campbell and Les Ferdinand you could have had Andy Cole and Ian Wright but neither were as good as Shearer especially at international level. I remember Viv Anderson becoming the first black England international in 1978 followed shortly after by Lawrie Cunningham and Cryille Regis. John Barnes got some dreadful stick playing for England especially at Wembley but I don't think it was an entirely racist thing because so did Chris Waddle. Apart from Sheringham and Adams they all look totally bloody miserable :)

11Drogba likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Apart from Sheringham and Adams they all look totally bloody miserable :)

I remember reading once that English players used to drink even during tournaments. :D

Unionjack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a game years ago at the old Ayresome Park Middlesbrough, they threw bananas at Dalian Atkinson and threw Mars Bars at Gazza...Gazza just trotted over to take a corner, picked one up and eat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

I remember reading once that English players used to drink even during tournaments. :D

Of course. Part of English culture not just football get any group of lads together and they'll go on the piss. In the 70's footballers would do Q&A and they would say favourite meal steak, favourite drink Guinness a lot of them smoked. That's the diet of a builder not a footballer :)

11Drogba and Unionjack like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

As a kid I remember only one black player Paul Ince in the English national team and wondered why that was the case. Do you think this was happening at a lot of clubs back then or was there other reasons?

140965.jpg

In this team there is not even one black player for example. What was going on back then?

I'm not sure if it was because of racial problems. More cultural. I remember when I was at school during the early 70s I only remember 1 black lad that played it. They might kick a tennis ball round at break time when we played or in games (P.E) but never in any teams. Were more into basketball and athletics stuff. Suppose it gradually changed with more black players were on telly in the WC and European games.

I cant remember any racial problems against Black people cause we shared their culture of music. early Ska,reggae, so we tended to knock about with each other. Tho they never got into Northern Soul. I can only remember a handful of black lads that went to Wigan Casino. But then from like 77 and Jazz Funk got big they really got into it..

I'm wondering just what form this racist stuff took. Whether they were seriously slagging the lads off or just being very un PC with jokes and piss taking? It was different times. The comedians of the time would tell jokes then that alot would cringe at now.

11Drogba likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unionjack said:

I'm not sure if it was because of racial problems. More cultural. I remember when I was at school during the early 70s I only remember 1 black lad that played it. They might kick a tennis ball round at break time when we played or in games (P.E) but never in any teams. Were more into basketball and athletics stuff. Suppose it gradually changed with more black players were on telly in the WC and European games.

I cant remember any racial problems against Black people cause we shared their culture of music. early Ska,reggae, so we tended to knock about with each other. Tho they never got into Northern Soul. I can only remember a handful of black lads that went to Wigan Casino. But then from like 77 and Jazz Funk got big they really got into it..

I'm wondering just what form this racist stuff took. Whether they were seriously slagging the lads off or just being very un PC with jokes and piss taking? It was different times. The comedians of the time would tell jokes then that alot would cringe at now.

In the 70's black kids were usually good footballers but never supported a team if they did it tended to be Liverpool or Man United. No denying there was a serious problem with racism at Chelsea in the 70's and 80's. My theory is that a lot of Chelsea fans came from the suburbs and beyond and they were very white areas where us London boys were used to socialising and going to school with black kids.

Unionjack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

In the 70's black kids were usually good footballers but never supported a team if they did it tended to be Liverpool or Man United. No denying there was a serious problem with racism at Chelsea in the 70's and 80's. My theory is that a lot of Chelsea fans came from the suburbs and beyond and they were very white areas where us London boys were used to socialising and going to school with black kids.

Could be that. I did goto the 3rd year at a school in P'boro where there was only 1 black lad in the whole school. Tough nut from Brum, decided to have a go on my 1st day. Ended up fighting up and down the street. Proper John Wayne one. After that we became good mates. He couldn't play football for toffee but hellova dancer. lol

I remember at a old Chelsea game and everyone around me giving it the one arm salute. And i said to me mates WTF you doing? They replied they was doing it to the cops saying they were deserving of it. As we know what the London cops could be like then. Now obviously they were swept up in the moment and I'm thinking a few others were also. 

I saw it again at the European championships in Italy '80 during the Belgium game when theOB started going bonkers hitting everyone within reach with their truncheons after chucking tear gas grenades at us. Women/kids/families hit. And they got the one arm salute. That was nothing to do with race. Just blind police hatred. Was a crazy month tho.

Fulham Broadway likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Could be that. I did goto the 3rd year at a school in P'boro where there was only 1 black lad in the whole school. Tough nut from Brum, decided to have a go on my 1st day. Ended up fighting up and down the street. Proper John Wayne one. After that we became good mates. He couldn't play football for toffee but hellova dancer. lol

I remember at a old Chelsea game and everyone around me giving it the one arm salute. And i said to me mates WTF you doing? They replied they was doing it to the cops saying they were deserving of it. As we know what the London cops could be like then. Now obviously they were swept up in the moment and I'm thinking a few others were also. 

I saw it again at the European championships in Italy '80 during the Belgium game when theOB started going bonkers hitting everyone within reach with their truncheons after chucking tear gas grenades at us. Women/kids/families hit. And they got the one arm salute. That was nothing to do with race. Just blind police hatred. Was a crazy month tho.

That's true UJ - I remember a lot of one armed salutes at the cops -people just saw them as Thatchers fascist bully boys.

Unionjack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.