test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlueLion.

The Y-Word

Started by BlueLion.,

Very well constructed post Alex, it's a good thing that I've kept this in mind since I learned about Tottenham supporters a number of years ago!

Just a friendly reminder when using the word "Yid"...

What about DIY? :) is that an acceptable alternative ;)

The word 'Yid' is a very controversial one in the English language. Though it is an ethnonym to describe people of a Yiddish (Jewish) background, it is also used as a derogatory epithet by people who have a hatred of Jewish people, and/or a prejudiced dislike of Jews, called anti-Semites. Sometimes however, the word can be 'lost in translation' and its real meaning forgotten in exchange for a more novel connotation.

As you may well know, we have a handful of members from Eastern European and Middle-Eastern countries on TalkChelsea - and these people may not know that Tottenham Hotspur Football Club have an association with Yiddish people, and call themselves the 'Yid Army.'

I therefore have to stress that the word is used on here to describe Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, and is not at all used in an offensive, derogatory or hurtful manner.

At TalkChelsea, we have a zero-tolerance attitude towards racism - anti-Semitism included (click link).

As such, I would like to highlight the fact that use of the word 'Yid' on these forums is not at all used offensively, but on behalf of the TalkChelsea staff team and the forum members I do apologise for any offence caused - and I would also like to add a sort of taboo on the word - so, all members, please do not over-use the word 'Yid' and do be considerate of other member's nationalities, religions, classes, creeds and ethnicities.

I hope this prevents any future confusion - and I hope the situation is a little clearer to all members; new and old alike.

Thanks for reading, KTBFFH!

Alex.

There is a strong chance that Alex reminded us all about this observation because, earlier today, I reported a post which used the word yid. Therefore I'd like to thank Alex for his prompt response. I think however that, despite understanding your need to resort to legalese, your original message (quoted) is not as forthright as I would have liked it to have been.

The wider view; taken by football authorities, Tottenham Hotspur, Jewish organisations, anti-racist groups, and nobodies like me, is that use of the word yid in a football context is not OK. You have responsibilities toward the site so, if it really is necessary for you to use the shelter of the legalese then fine. Surely though we can still ask people not to use it at all, rather than to do so sparingly.

Because anti-Semites use the word, anyone else who does, can, and will, also be associated with such thinking. It isn't only a question of what the user means. It's also about what the listener hears and what it says about me if I insist on using a word which I know causes her or him offence, however innocently I say I mean it.

John1611 likes this

There is a strong chance that Alex reminded us all about this observation because, earlier today, I reported a post which used the word yid. Therefore I'd like to thank Alex for his prompt response. I think however that, despite understanding your need to resort to legalese, your original message (quoted) is not as forthright as I would have liked it to have been.

The wider view; taken by football authorities, Tottenham Hotspur, Jewish organisations, anti-racist groups, and nobodies like me, is that use of the word yid in a football context is not OK. You have responsibilities toward the site so, if it really is necessary for you to use the shelter of the legalese then fine. Surely though we can still ask people not to use it at all, rather than sparingly.

Because anti-Semites use the word, anyone else who does, can, and will, also be associated with such thinking. It isn't only a question of what the user means. It's also about what the listener hears and what it says about me if I insist on using a word which I know causes her or him offence, however innocently I say I mean it.

I indeed saw your report. I am not attempting to legitimise the use of the word "Yid" - as you say, this is official legalese from which the interests of the site can be protected. We do not condone any racist or otherwise xenophobic behaviour on this site, but it is not always possible for us to moderate every post made in each individual thread. Therefore we rely on users to use the report function to bring matters to our attention. Rest assured that future use of the word "Yid" in an inappropriate context will be treated with accordingly.

MichaelDance likes this