test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CFC58

Edinson Cavani

Started by CFC58,

6,932 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Jason said:

By rediscovering his form, I meant getting past his injuries. He has had a lot of muscle related injuries since last season. He will not survive the pace and intensity of the Premier League if that remains a problem.

Some of the links, I’m sure are just paper talk like him going to United and Juventus, and even us I’d wager.

He may still have enough to offer but for how long more? He has injury problems and turns 33 next month. Unless you know a fountain of youth somewhere, signing Cavani would just be a short term signing and he won’t be performing consistently.

The club has their strict policy on players over 30 years old, remember?

I’m not being dismissive of Ligue 1 but was merely providing context. Ligue 1 is decent but if you don’t think the standard of Serie A or Bundesliga is better than it, then I don’t know what to say.

I agree that maybe the injuries would be my only concern but the pace and intensity of the PL really wouldnt be a problem for him in my opinion if he was match fit. 

Again we keep talking about needing a few established/in their prime age/older players in and around this group to improve us as well as help guys in similar positions like Tammy, Mason, Tomori... Cavani would fit that mould. Short term or not, a top player who has been a top player for the last 6 or 7 seasons, wouldnt be a bad role model for Tammy who would pick up a lot from him... yes the club has that over 30s policy but it should be looked at on a case by case basis, being 30 or over doesnt instantly spell the end for every footballer in existence which youd think it did. Cavani would undoubtedbly do a job and be worth a 2 year deal minimum for sure if we were to pursue him. He would be one of the better CFs in the league still I think because his game isnt focused on pace or dribbling or whatever, he is excellent at making the right movements on the shoulder of the defenders or in and around the box and his finishing is very good (although he has missed some sitters before but it doesnt stop him getting goals).

I dont think we will get him but youd think he was a second rate player the way youve mentioned him in earlier posts, even more so the if hes happy to be 2nd choice behind Tammy one lol.

Providing context about the league. Wouldnt matter if it was Spain, Italy, Germany or the French league, my point would still be the same, Cavani is still a top player playing at a top club who is capable of doing it for a top club. Hes scored lots of goals in Italy, France and in the CL as well as at world cups and whatever. The French league isnt as good as those leagues maybe but its hardly dead rubber. 

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I agree that maybe the injuries would be my only concern but the pace and intensity of the PL really wouldnt be a problem for him in my opinion if he was match fit. 

Again we keep talking about needing a few established/in their prime age/older players in and around this group to improve us as well as help guys in similar positions like Tammy, Mason, Tomori... Cavani would fit that mould. Short term or not, a top player who has been a top player for the last 6 or 7 seasons, wouldnt be a bad role model for Tammy who would pick up a lot from him... yes the club has that over 30s policy but it should be looked at on a case by case basis, being 30 or over doesnt instantly spell the end for every footballer in existence which youd think it did. Cavani would undoubtedbly do a job and be worth a 2 year deal minimum for sure if we were to pursue him. He would be one of the better CFs in the league still I think because his game isnt focused on pace or dribbling or whatever, he is excellent at making the right movements on the shoulder of the defenders or in and around the box and his finishing is very good (although he has missed some sitters before but it doesnt stop him getting goals).

I dont think we will get him but youd think he was a second rate player the way youve mentioned him in earlier posts, even more so the if hes happy to be 2nd choice behind Tammy one lol.

Your optimism over a 33-year-old is admirable. Agree to disagree. 

Vesper likes this

What does everyone else think about Cavani? Personally, if we could get him on a free for 1-2 years I think we should do it. 

16 minutes ago, King Kante said:

What does everyone else think about Cavani? Personally, if we could get him on a free for 1-2 years I think we should do it. 

The ship has sailed...

Johnnyeye, LAM09 and Vesper like this

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

The ship has sailed...

this was as close to Lampard as he will ever get

Chelsea 'ready to offer 18-month deal' to Edinson Cavani despite ...

13 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Cannot believe this thread has 347 pages :lol: He was our obsession for ages!

he would have been a MONSTER in his prime here

very unique player

:(

averaged around 32 goals per full season minutes for a 10 year period

including 4 seasons over 30 goals, plus a 40 and a 49 goal season

over 400 for his topflight career for club and country

Uruguay is only a little over 3 million (and was far smaller back in the day) people and has produced INSANE footballers over the past 120 years

NikkiCFC and 11Drogba like this