The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Failing hard. No to mention that I hate uni to the point that my anxiety could be made tangible and cut with a knife.

Stick at it mate. Even if you come out with a qualification it puts you ahead of someone without, whereas if you quit you will have to explain to an employer why you quit, how will that look to them? I can literally think of no good points about quitting.

So... I'm off to the army on the 9th of July.

(not a combat soldier, dont worry about me..)

Go say hi to @xPetrCechx. :P

Failing hard. No to mention that I hate uni to the point that my anxiety could be made tangible and cut with a knife.

Don't be disheartened mate. As WHS, you will regret it and it will be a blot in the copybook for you.

Not sure if you have read it but if you haven't try having a look at the book 'Letters to a Young Poet' by Rainer Maria Rilke. Could really be useful in your life. ;)

Maybe changing your course of studies could help if you don't feel like your current one satisfies you?

Change you studying habits, try studying with other people, take less classes per semester, shake things up. Quitting should be the very last thing you even think about after exhausting every possible other method. As Sam said, quitting university will haunt you in every job you try to get for the rest of your life.

I know that feeling so well! I failed at uni in 2012 and then was close to failing once again a year ago, but I talked my frustration out to a couple of close people and it was really helpful. I also deactivated my FB and limited my internet activity in general because I felt it was the #1 distraction. I was able then to turn things around in August and now I'm 1 year away from graduation. I suggest you do the same, it will at least help you figure out what you really want. Every shit in life will eventually get flushed.

Good luck! :)

Both apply to me (the first maybe not quite as much these days), but I'm committed to seeing it through because I don't know what I'd do with my life if I didn't have a degree. In the short or long term.

If you want to drop out you must have something lined up that you can enter straight away. Full time employment or entering education somewhere outside of uni (i.e. learning a trade). It's better for you, even if you hate it, to be going there than staying at home all day doing nothing.

Another thing you need to consider is that it'll be extremely difficult for you to drop this now and pick it up a few years later. The draconian budget will make it prohibitive for pretty much everybody to start a degree after 2016.

I would suggest doing one unit per semester in combination with a job until such time as you can handle doing more.

My best friend dropped out a few months ago. He hated his course and wanted to transfer, but because it was his first semester at a new university, he wouldn't have been able to internally transfer. So he's decided to go back to where he was last year but doing a different course next semester.

It's based on what's happened to him that I don't think it's a good idea for you to drop out altogether. He has done absolutely nothing the last 10 weeks except get high daily. He had a job for about 3 weeks and quit. He's earned a few hundred here and there from writing our drug dealer's uni assignments (which I've been doing as well), but that's it. Other than that, the only time he has left his house is to get high with me and some other friends.

He dropped out with the intention of re-entering at the earliest opportunity, and his life has fallen apart, he's going absolutely nowhere at the moment, just crossing off the days on the calendar as they go by. You're doing it semi-permanently, so I think it's safe to assume that if you can't find anything almost immediately that will keep you busy 30 hours a week, you'll be worse off. Especially if you go back to the outback.

I'll never sleep more than 6 hours again, EVER!!!

I usually sleep 6 or 6 and a half hours a night and I feel damn good all day. Without drinking coffee. Only a fresh juice or a cup of tea.

Now I've slept 10 hours last night and I feel like I'm walking through Sahara Desert.

Nice way to ruin my day off...

Close to quitting university.

One of my best friends went to Oxford Uni.halfway through her studies she had a breakdown,recovered..went to a smaller uni and is now a published author. Morale of the story,is that if it's making you ill then fine,walk away but shouldn't give up on education.

I say to the young ones in my family..the harder you work in school the easier you work after school..i didn't do much in school but been working my bollocks off ever since and will till i'm too old to trust a fart.