The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Yeah I found humour to be a difficult thing to share even within the same race. But yeah east asian humour tends to be very different with western humour I have experienced asians understanding my humour and the western people not understanding it, and vice versa. I am accustomed to both though, so its all good for me. But most of the time I just come across as being a racist because I do multiple accents and steoreotype jokes.

And most 'white washed' asians who were born/grew up in western countries that I know thinks the same, maybe not to the extent of your girlfriend. I myself am kinda in the middle, im not really a white washed asian, who talks and acts like a western person, since I've only been in NZ for 7 years and didn't grow up there, but I am also not a fob like some uni students in campus you see often still being super asian who acts like they are still in their homeland. I like the balance. You appreciate where you are from but also able to adapt to where you are right now.

Maybe your girlfriend was shoved balut her whole childhood, I would think the same way as her if that was the case.

I don't think she has ever had balut but she has mentioned her father was very fond of the stuff. Personally I'd rather starve than eat that. She and her sisters grew up entirely in Chicago, they don't speak Tagalog and only speak a little Spanish. They are very, very, very American.

I often wonder what my East Asian friends think about me being a filthy white devil.

I don't think she has ever had balut but she has mentioned her father was very fond of the stuff. Personally I'd rather starve than eat that. She and her sisters grew up entirely in Chicago, they don't speak Tagalog and only speak a little Spanish. They are very, very, very American.

I often wonder what my East Asian friends think about me being a filthy white devil.

:D:D Well I can say that asians either think of you very highly or the opposite. The hongkong people calls white people 'gwailou' which means white ghost. I don't agree with what they say, but I can see from their point of view that because of the cultural differences and some things that are said and done in western countries are frowned upon in asian countries, which are much more conservative nations. Which east asians are we talking about here? your friends I mean.

:D:D Well I can say that asians either think of you very highly or the opposite. The hongkong people calls white people 'gwailou' which means white ghost. I don't agree with what they say, but I can see from their point of view that because of the cultural differences and some things that are said and done in western countries are frowned upon in asian countries, which are much more conservative nations. Which east asians are we talking about here? your friends I mean.

I know a Vietnamese girl. But I'm pretty sure she is second generation Australian given her accent and the speed she talks. I don't see her that often, she is more of a friend's friend.

I know a Japanese girl. We get along quite well. She lived in New Zealand when she was quite young and now has lived in Australia for several years.

And lastly a Chinese girl. I get mixed feelings about her sometimes, I'm quite fond of her and sometimes I feel she is quite fond of me, but sometimes I don't think so. Out of the three she has the most trouble with English and it's hilarious. She can hold a conversation but some of the things she says are ridiculous. I think she has lived here for 4 years.

I know a Vietnamese girl. But I'm pretty sure she is second generation Australian given her accent and the speed she talks. I don't see her that often, she is more of a friend's friend.

I know a Japanese girl. We get along quite well. She lived in New Zealand when she was quite young and now has lived in Australia for several years.

And lastly a Chinese girl. I get mixed feelings about her sometimes, I'm quite fond of her and sometimes I feel she is quite fond of me, but sometimes I don't think so. Out of the three she has the most trouble with English and it's hilarious. She can hold a conversation but some of the things she says are ridiculous. I think she has lived here for 4 years.

Which one calls you a filthy white devil?

A bit. You need to drink it in a Kriek glass for the aromas :-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1399450700.239706.jpg

It is a bit of a womans beer here though :-)

Lol, I bought a bottle only to taste it because those types of beer are very expensive here...

Just took my Calculus BC exam......not feeling good about it. Praying that somehow, someway i got a 4/5.

Waiting to the result is the worst.. Fortunately most of my exams are taken in computer so I know my grade immediately.

Waiting to the result is the worst.. Fortunately most of my exams are taken in computer so I know my grade immediately.

These won't be released till July 4th or something like that,, im stressing, because that test determines whether i can skip that course in college or if I have to take the course again once i'm in college.

These won't be released till July 4th or something like that,, im stressing, because that test determines whether i can skip that course in college or if I have to take the course again once i'm in college.

4th of July? Why on earth do they sitting on the exams for so long? In my university they shut the door in the middle of June :)

I didn't pass one AP exam in high school...:lol:

I didn't pass one AP exam in high school... :lol:

Then why take them? :D lmaooooo But to be fair their not true barometers of one's knowledge, just like the SAT. i mean what if you have a bad day on the AP test and then there goes your credit, and year's work pretty much.

I go to a competitive school, we're top 5 in NJ. And we live for AP tests and SATs, hahaha

What AP tests you take? I've taken; AP Calc AB/BC, AP Macroeconomic, AP Physics B and AP Microeconomics

Gonna take AP Physics C next year also.