test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big Drog

The Main Site

Started by The Big Drog,

67 posts in this topic

I'm going to start updating the player profiles ;) Going to start with the goalkeepers and then do the strikes. Everyone is entitled to do anyone and everyone else!

What do people think of the new site layout?

I like it.. Only criticisms I can think is the "next match" and "previous match" looked too.. Cramped? If that makes sense? Maybe it's just me :lol:

Nice work mate! As staff we're looking for regular posts to be promoted to the main site... so get posting and see yourself earn a moment of fame!

Still a little bit confusing, as I was used to click on the main logo to go back to the forum sections, otherwise, good work again!

Edit: Hey, it's working again as usual. But why?!

I've added a Player Profiles page to the navigation bar above. There's probably loads of mistakes as ive been drinking all day :lol: let me know if you see any.

I'm adding profiles as i speak, if you want to write one that hasn't been done let me know.

http://www.talkchelsea.net/players

http://www.talkchels...nislav-ivanovic

Jim. B)

Well I wrote one for Lukaku on bluetinted a couple of months ago, feel free to use if you like :

As the ill-fated second year of Carlo Ancelotti's reign at Chelsea came to a stuttering halt, everybody in and around West London or even those watching thousands of miles away could point out exactly just what had gone wrong with the previous campaign's champions.

The mass exodus of experienced old heads and the failure to replace them adequately, a spate of injuries to key men at key times during the season, a team devoid of creativity, pace and tenacity and a manager who looked and talked like he had run out of ideas to revitalize his charges. The fallout was no more swift than expected. Ancelotti was sent packing and after much dilly-dallying, in walked Andres Villas-Boas. The young Portuguese was expected to make all the right moves that would set off, in his own words - 'an evolution, not a revolution'. To many observers it signaled the end of a London stay for some of the highly paid leading lights of previous years - Drogba, Anelka, Ferreira, Malouda, even Essien; and a shift from Chelsea's renowned physically combative, industrious and efficient style of play to a more technical, pace and width dependent continental system.

Yet, nearly 2 months after the youngest manager in the Premiership walked in through the Stamford Bridge revolving doors, several of those predictions, assertions even, have come to naught. The leading lights still shine bright in a Chelsea Blue sky and the much sought-after wide players are nowhere to be seen, for the time being at least. Instead, the new manager has set about adding quality young players from the continent to his squad full of international football heavyweights. Thibaut Courtois and Oriol Romeu are now Chelsea players, but the name that is getting all the attention is that of a young Belgian who has made giant strides (literally) in his short career to date.

Indeed, his career might well be the only 'short' thing about him. Standing at an impressive 6'4'' and weighing well over what any ordinary boy his age would, Romelu Lukaku has finally achieved his dream of signing for his favourite club, bringing an end to the hotly contested pursuit of one of the world's leading teenage footballers. Lukaku ( who idolises Didier Drogba) himself has never hidden his love for the club,a video of him on a schooltrip to Stamford Bridge in 2010 (which has become an instant hit among Chelsea fans on the internet) shows this amply. His father himself had the following to say about his son's reaction to confirmation of the move - Lukaku's dad -

"For him, it's an absolute dream come true. He will play alongside his idol, Didier Drogba. When he heard the news, he went crazy. He jumped for joy. He has directly put on the jersey of Chelsea and he started dancing in the living room. At that moment, I remembered that my son was still only 18. This naivety is amazing. I think it will help him succeed. He will play in one of the biggest clubs in the world but it will never be undermined by pressure"

It is this enthusiasm and love for the club that has endeared him to Chelsea fans even before he makes his first bow in the shirt that he's dreamt of playing for. Suddenly supporters are excited by the arrival of a supremely promising footballer who seemingly shares the same passion for the club as them. Certainly, it would not be an exaggeration to claim that in some quarters he has already established himself as being above any accusations of an unwelcome attitude, accusations that football fans are rather prone to making once the going gets tough out on the pitch. To say that in Lukaku they see themselves - people who would run themselves into the ground for nothing more than the joy and honour of playing for their team, wouldn't be far off the mark either.

But putting aside the romance of what is indeed a remarkable story, questions have been raised about whether young Lukaku is actually needed in this team that suffers from so much other than the lack of a quality frontline. A valid question too. It is no secret that Chelsea's problems lie on the creative and pace side of things. A midfield that undoubtedly focuses more on feisty combativeness and physical strength isn't really well stocked in terms of fantasy and invention. Not since the days of Robben and Duff have Chelsea featured quick, exciting, barnstorming wide men in it's ranks. Instead, the width is provided by the fullbacks, with strikers turned makeshift 'wingers' linking up in central areas with the lone forward and midfield adventurist Frank Lampard.

Factor in the fact that most of the forward line (Malouda, Anelka, Drogba) and relatively attacking midfielders Lampard and Benayoun are on the wrong side of 30, and it all begins to look a little pear-shaped. With the presence of Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge upfront, a central striker in most fans' eyes cements itself as a low priority area. But is that really the case?

Villas-Boas' (AvB from here on) Porto side captured the collective imagination of the footballing world last year with it's delightful attacking intent and the fluid, pinpoint, fast-paced and wide nature of it's play. His 4-3-3 featured two quick, skilful wide men supporting a lone striker (usually Radamel Falcao).

If AvB decides to continue with a similar structure at SW6, he'd find himself short of reliable options in wide areas. Recognizing this problem, Sturridge has been shunted out to the right wing, a departure from his hugely fruitful loan spell at Bolton during the second half of last year, when he relished being played upfront, banging in 8 goals in the process. Anelka and the inconsistent Salomon Kalou are also options out wide on the right, with Malouda almost certain to nail down a place on the left wing. That leaves Torres and Drogba competing for the lone striker's role. This being 2011-12, the dreaded African Cup of Nations will make it a point to roll around post Christmas, taking in it's wake the effervescent Drogba and the bit-part Kalou. Injuries, of course, are as always, a threat, and as the evidence of last season suggests, a large squad is a desirable squad. In view of this, a third central striking option doesn't seem too bad an idea. At any rate, in a season that typically stretches towards 60 games, Lukaku can hope for enough chances to make an impact.

One must not forget that (the financial side of ) football is no different from any other business in that making a sensible investment at the appropriate time is often the key to unlocking said investment's true potential. It can make or break the immediate future of the business, especially if your rival understands this and grabs the opportunity before you do. The Lukaku deal isn't altogether different. At 18 years old, the boy can only develop further. His potential is there for all to see. It is sensible for the club to get him while he's available, at a price that isn't unreasonable for his level of talent and latent potential. The fact that Chelsea are the club of his heart is a potent trump card, especially when it is considered that a certain Mourinho-led Real Madrid were confirmed admirers.

All in all, full marks to the decision makers for getting him here. Granted he might not play an awful lot of games straight away, but working and training with players he has admired for a long time, especially Drogba, can only benefit him and develop his game. The pull of honing his skills under the guidance of arguably Europe's most talented young manager is special in it's own way. As stated before, some match time is inevitable, and the hunger and desire that epitomises Lukaku will shine through, if given adequate, appropriate opportunities.

In the worst case scenario that this move should prove to be a failure some years down the line, Lukaku's age and profile ensures Chelsea a sizeable resale value. All in all, a win-win situation for Chelsea Football Club.

P.S The Essien profile was actually submitted by me when the player profile feature was active last time round. It's currently credited to Bluelion. I also wrote pages for Malouda, Alex and Anelka; will try and locate Malouda's since the other two have left the club.

BlueLion., Blue Armour and Jim like this

P.S The Essien profile was actually submitted by me when the player profile feature was active last time round. It's currently credited to Bluelion. I also wrote pages for Malouda, Alex and Anelka; will try and locate Malouda's since the other two have left the club.

Sorry didn't know who wrote it so assumed Alex did, will change that. Cheers for Lukaku profile.

Added more pages.

http://talkchelsea.net/wallpapers

http://talkchelsea.net/matchday/making-the-most

http://talkchelsea.net/matchday/getting-to-stamford-bridge

Looking for someone to write a pub guide for the best pubs around the bridge.

Melanicus, BlueLion. and Madmax like this