The Legend of Ted Drake

Term-X

He may be a legend for arsenal in his playing days as a striker, but this is the man who is responsible for the Chelsea you see today. He discarded the club's Chelsea pensioner image and with it the Pensioners nickname, and insisted a new one be adopted. From these changes came the Lion crest and the Blues nickname.

he revolutionized this club with modern training methods and 'brand image' which the so called die hard fans claim is bad for football clubs. Within three years, in the 1954-55 season Drake had led us to our first-ever league triumph.

he adapted the same system for signing players as Jose' by ignoring the big names and instead signing 'hungry players' who where yet to make a name for themselves, it took 50 years to find a manager with the same philosophy.

Drake laid the foundations, Jose' cemented them.

egd85x.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drake laid the foundations, Jose' cemented them.

Seems a bit over-the-top in my opinion, there was a good 50 years between them, sure they were similar, but you cant say Jose simply cemented his foundations. Jose laid the foundations of the Chelsea we have today.

Never the less, From what i've heard / seen over the years, seems like he was one hell of a manager.

I watched the 100 years anniversary DVD last night and I particularly found it interesting the section about Ted Drake and how under his management the club got its first bit of silverware. Truly an inspiring manager and definitely should be remembered for what he achieved.

and drake was the first manager at Chelsea to ask the fans to stop clapping for both teams, because back then the home fans would applaud both teams equally.

and of course he is responsible for the greatest quote in the history of Chelsea football club.

• 3 weeks later...