Luka Modric

DavidEU

I would hate to see Sidwell leave. A lot of people think he is not Chelsea quality, but I've seen him play a few times and he looks solid when playing with Mikel in particular. perhaps they compliment each other?

Yes Sidwell is not exactly a bad player. But when you look at the quality of our midfield (Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Mikel & Makelele) and you look at the sort of player we are looking to bring in, then Sidwell will at some point have to make way i think.

Chelsea's spending power is set to clinch the signature of Dinamo Zagreb star Luka Modric ahead of Arsenal. Nogometni magazin says Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has agreed to meet Dinamo's £16 million asking price for Modric, with the Croatia international arriving at Stamford Bridge in January. Italian clubs AC Milan and Juventus have already been informed of the developments after having scouts posted at Wembley last week to watch Modric in action against England. Chelsea boss Avram Grant sees Modric as the midfield schemer he needs to transform the team's style of play and along with checking on Modric last week, he also travelled to Skopje to watch the midfielder against Macedonia last weekend. Nothing has been confirmed, but it's understood barring a mega offer arriving from elsewhere, Modric will join Chelsea when the market reopens in January.Source: Tribal Football

Maybe he can, but he would essentially be kicking out either Essien, Mikel or Ballack from the team.

Out of the starting line up yes, out of the squad no..The midfield is unbalanced in my opinion. Essien, Lampard, Ballack, Sidwell - all too similar. We need variety:...............................Defensive Midfielder.....................................................Box to Box Midfielder..................................................................................Creative Playmaker.......................The balance has to be right, playing 1 up top we have to have someone who plays more advanced and can open things up, in the same way that Tiago and Gudjohnsen used to when they played that role...

I wish we had kept Tiago, he was an incredibly gifted talent. But if we play as you have suggested, I would have Essien/Mikel, Lampard/Ballack/New signing with Lampard/Joe Cole/new signing as the playmaker.

Lampard can't play the playmaker role, it's just not his style. Joe Cole would be great at it, but if it hasn't happened yet i can't see them taking him back to that position now. The only player we have now who can play the role sort of is Ballack.Tiago was quality and along with Duff, Robben, Gudjohnsen created a lot of flair and creativity in the team that season, without doubt our best season ever, footballing-wise

Out of the starting line up yes, out of the squad no..The midfield is unbalanced in my opinion. Essien, Lampard, Ballack, Sidwell - all too similar. We need variety:...............................Defensive Midfielder.....................................................Box to Box Midfielder..................................................................................Creative Playmaker.......................The balance has to be right, playing 1 up top we have to have someone who plays more advanced and can open things up, in the same way that Tiago and Gudjohnsen used to when they played that role...

then maybe we can play like essien on defensive, box to box Lamps and playmaker Modric but maybe that would be a big bite for him...

then maybe we can play like essien on defensive, box to box Lamps and playmaker Modric but maybe that would be a big bite for him...

Big bite??We are certainly going to sign someone (looks like January) to play the playmaker role, that is clearly where we are looking at.

Well Mr Grant has made it clear a playmaker is top of the agenda. I suppose money will be no option, considering we offered £20 million for Dani Alves.

Yup. And it is looking like Modric is our top target for that role. Which considering it is the January transfer window i can't argue with..

• 2 weeks later...
Chelsea are ready to sign Dinamo Zagreb ace Luka Modric and send him on-loan to PSV Eindhoven. Croatian sources say Chelsea are set to pay £16 million for the Croatia international midfield schemer and then send him to PSV for the second-half of the season on-loan to continue his development. Modric would follow the same path of previous Chelsea signings Alex, Alcides and Slobodan Rajkovic, with the latter two still at PSV after being bought by the Blues.Source: Tribal Football

beacuse maybe he is not in Avrams plans right now and he can get some expirience in the big club like PSV ad then come here and show all his talents

He might as well just stay at Zagreb if we are not going to bring him over now and just sign him in the summer! It is different with players like Rajkovic who are young and will get valuable experience at PSV but Modric is an established international already.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You