test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

closed Chelsea 3-3 Southampton

Started by Jason,

Man of the Match   19 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

• Kepa
    • Azpilicueta
    • Christensen
    • Zouma
    • Chilwell
    • Kante
    • Jorginho
    • Mount
    • Havertz
    • Pulisic
    • Werner
    • Ziyech (sub)
    • James (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

810 posts in this topic
13 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I am sick of people pointing out to individual mistakes.

We know what many said about Alonso after WBA game and even Lamps seems done with him after that but that missplaced pass after header for WBA first goal was something that 3 or 4 players could cover easily later. No one did.

And Kepa did not even play and we conceded 3. Next game he was dropped Emerson did mistake for Spurs goal. Zouma, Chris, Havertz, Silva, Kante, Kepa, Mount, Kova, Azpi, James all had mistakes that lead to conceding goals in just last 3 months.

Our system does not work defensively. Pep won 100 points with Stones, Otamendi, Delph as starters because he knew how to cover their flaws. Napoli also did not suffer because of Jorginho in defense.

Great managers know how to fix weak links, Frank is not one of them. Even if that mistake is 100% of Kepa for their 2nd goal he is not the reason why we lost points. Game did not finished 3:1 it was 3:3. People just need that perfect victim it is either Kepa or Alonso or someone else...

At the moment those two should not even be backups but we have much bigger issues here.

What you say is in a sense true because they had some more shots from the edge of the box that could have found the target.
I explained Kepa's flaw though. He 's not so much of a ball dropsie but he is not using his legs.
Then the defense we have do this thing too: They don't play safety, they are too anxious to see the ball pushed forward even when the scoreline does not dictate such necessity.
Those are two regular mistakes I have spotted, plus Christensen-Alonso-Zouma being somewhat below the level of the club.
Also it's all about running. You know why we were better than PAOK Salonika ? It's not because we have such superior ball skills. It was because we ran like an express and they were barges.
Against Bayern Munich, it was different. We were the barge, they were the express train.

48 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I do not really see why AC is getting any heat here. Sure, he hasn't been great but on Saturday he played ok, none of the goals where on him and he actually won most of his duals. Reason for the goals where due to structural issues with the set up and individual mistakes from Harvetz, Zouma and Kepa. 

It's just in general. Andreas was "fine" last night, but that's it. AC's best is "fine". There hasn't been a game in years I can point to and say "AC was absolutely superb".

Andreas has made more mistakes then he's done an actual class performance. If AC was on the very top of his game, he would have stopped at least one of the opposition attacks that Zouma and Havertz caused. I'm not saying it's AC's fault those goals went in, definitely not...but he could have done better.

Maybe AC will be much better with a WC CB beside him, but I'm going to be perfectly honest right now - I'm not been too impressed with him.

But don't see this as me blasting AC only...I'm very aware there are worse performing defenders (and GK) than him at the moment.

Vesper likes this

On 10/17/2020 at 5:19 PM, Jason said:

And they came back to win 4-1. Still "little easier" to swallow?

Seeing how they are in 14th...yes. I have two good friends that are Manu and Arsenal fans, so I get pleasure from following Chelsea through good and bad, and watching bad things happen to ManU and Arsenal.

18 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Seeing how they are in 14th...yes. I have two good friends that are Manu and Arsenal fans, so I get pleasure from following Chelsea through good and bad, and watching bad things happen to ManU and Arsenal.

They may be in 14th but they are only 2 points behind us, with a game in hand. And if we lose to them this weekend, we'll be behind this (supposedly) shit United side...

3 hours ago, King Kante said:

I do not really see why AC is getting any heat here. Sure, he hasn't been great but on Saturday he played ok, none of the goals where on him and he actually won most of his duals. Reason for the goals where due to structural issues with the set up and individual mistakes from Harvetz, Zouma and Kepa. 

Agree it's getting ridiculous now. Against WBA he was our only defender who didn't make a fuck up leading to a goal and he was the one getting the most stick. Infact he was probably the reason it wasn't worse before we started the comeback, he made a couple of very crucial interceptions.

Saturday it was Zouma who fucked up and he's getting the most stick.

I don't think I've ever seen such a ridiculous amount of critisising just because.

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

They may be in 14th but they are only 2 points behind us, with a game in hand. And if we lose to them this weekend, we'll be behind this (supposedly) shit United side...

I think they are weak in depth, but they have talent in their starters. They have several that are underperforming, I think that can be said for every team.

7 hours ago, lucio said:

Exactly , if he wanted to utilise long balls he could have subbed mount for giroud early in the 2nd , but then again vestergard is 6ft 6 so I'm not sure what giroud would have won

He subbed in Abraham for his amazing hold up skillz lol

lucio likes this

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Agree it's getting ridiculous now. Against WBA he was our only defender who didn't make a fuck up leading to a goal and he was the one getting the most stick. Infact he was probably the reason it wasn't worse before we started the comeback, he made a couple of very crucial interceptions.

I don't think I've ever seen such a ridiculous amount of critisising just because.

Because we are better without him. From the beginning of last season we have just 4 clean sheets with him. Nottingham, Watford, Brighton and Burnley. Any other combo is better option.

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

Because we are better without him. From the beginning of last season we have just 4 clean sheets with him. Nottingham, Watford, Brighton and Burnley. Any other combo is better option.

By the same metrics Alonso shouldn't be getting criticsed because our CS and win % is streets ahead with him as opposed to without.

That said i don't think he should be starting for us but this constant calling him out even in games he does little wrong is getting quite strange.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

I agree. I think, apart from the Dipper game where he got himself sent off (and even then, Mane getting the jump on him is hardly criminal considering he is probably the best attacker in the league and once past him Kepa had waited too long to come out) AC has been performing pretty well. As you say, WBA mistakes everywhere, none on him. Soton the same, Brighton another decent, if not great, individual performance. Further, if people where actually watching him without bias they would see he has actually improved his interception rate and is winning more duels. The two key things people criticise him for. 

I am not saying he is great and there are a lot of things he can still improve. However, the fact is, out of him, Tomori, Zouma and Rudiger he has the best reading of the game, tactical discipline and passing under pressure. For this reason, when Thiago is fit I want him as CB2 as he the one that is currently playing the best. Only problem with this will be set pieces but if Mendy is back soon, I'd rather live with AC's aerial ability over Zouma's lacking of positional sense and awful passing under the press.