• Kovacic
    • Kante
    • Werner
    • Havertz
    • Mount
    • Tomori (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Barkley (sub)

I felt last season he was quite critical and often said we were not good enough and need to improve etc, lately he is always mentioning that it needs more time etc

Is he already feeling the pressure of having spent 200m and he needs to make it work , Roman has not spent 200m for another top 4 challenge unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, killer1257 said:

Is it me or did we improve our set piece defending?

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

No we had issues against Brighton and even still every corner was squeeky bum time :D hopefully Mendy sorts that out.

Worth remembering that we also played Liverpool in the second game last season and we looked better and played with much more attacking intent back then, when it was 11 v 11.
And yeah, today's only the second game of this season but it's under the same manager, not a new one. If we really played possession football, then WTF did we have so many basketball-esque games last season? Why did opponents make so many inroads and cause us defensive problems last season? That shouldn't have happened as much as it did if we really played possession football and dominated games. 

What’s the result in that game then? 4:1 down, Pulisic’s individual brilliance bailed us out and climbed back to 4:3 then lost 5:3 final score.

Play possession football doesn’t guarantee us don’t concede with shit defense setup and shit GK does it?

50 minutes ago, blu35_army said:

so,,it's clear he choose for not to lose (at home???) either try to win. hope it's not his main tactics when we face a strong team... 

I don't know about every big team, but he was certainly not wrong to try it today.

Key attacking players missing.

And no, this was not a home game.

You can't call it a home game when we're playing in an empty stadium.

1 minute ago, Ryan Fong said:

What’s the result in that game then? 4:1 down, Pulisic’s individual brilliance bailed us out and climbed back to 4:3 then lost 5:3 final score.

I said "second game last season", not the "second last game of last season". Remember the UEFA Super Cup?

1 minute ago, Ryan Fong said:

Play possession football doesn’t guarantee us don’t concede with shit defense setup and shit GK does it?

The point is the intent. Am fine with the counter attacking approach but what the hell were we trying to do going forward? It looked as though our plan was to just give Werner the ball and hoped he score from somewhere. Otherwise, the game plan looked like a containment job. We would be better off going down swinging and see what would have happened, because the general approach to sit back and counter didn't work, did it when there's people Christensen and Kepa at the back?

21 minutes ago, dreamcfc said:

Bang on.

I feel we have no identity at the minute, we don't know what we're going to get, I saw good signs early last season of a fast style of play, we have since gone really backwards from that in my opinion and loads of back and forth changes,

Joringho is the 1 that sums it up for me really, not the only 1 but he went from being our captain to the bench to not even in the squad now he is our captain again today.

The longer Frank has been here the more he can't make his mind up , I know it's really early and hope im wrong but I feel we are going backwards. 

Its because of the squad options available. Mount is a given in his teams.

When all players are fit, you will be guaranteed to see Timo-Pulisic-Ziyech up front, with Kovacic-Mount-Kante completing the midfield 3. If Havertz settles in soon, you will see him displace one of those midfield 3.

14 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Is it me or did we improve our set piece defending?

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Definitely better than the Brighton game.

Kepa was also more vocal in this game..Although I don't think that will matter much, now that Mendy is coming in.

I thnk it's a disease with goalkeepers passing the ball to the opponent.
Last week we profited, now Kepa passed to Mane !
In the old days when returning the ball to the goalkeeper was allowed it was pretty rare.
I remember Lev Yashin did a Kepa thing once against Greece but it was n't the sort of thing you expected to see in a football match.
Now Kepa in a moment of complacency (his usual state of mind) passes the ball to the Liverpool attacker. Steve Gerrard's revenge.

8 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Its because of the squad options available. Mount is a given in his teams.

When all players are fit, you will be guaranteed to see Timo-Pulisic-Ziyech up front, with Kovacic-Mount-Kante completing the midfield 3. If Havertz settles in soon, you will see him displace one of those midfield 3.

So why is Jorginho our Captain today, 2 weeks ago he was gone? speculation yes but only due to bad squad management in my opinion, Jorginho don't even get in the squad sometimes next he's the main man.
Lampard has had a year to decide what to do with Kante Kova and Jorginho, he hasnt got a clue what he wants from what I can see. Just 1 example.

Playing all 3 of them didn't work last season and he trashed it, what's so different that it's going to start working now?

5 minutes ago, dreamcfc said:

So why is Jorginho our Captain today, 2 weeks ago he was gone?
Lampard has had a year to decide what to do with Kante Kova and Jorginho, he hasnt got a clue what he wants from what I can see. Just 1 example.

He needed someone to help clog up the midfield, and Mount presses more than Barkley, CHO or RLC. If he was more adventurous he would could have played CHO on the wing and dropped Jorginho for Mount.

Clearly that was not the plan.

If we had Pulisic and/or Ziyech fit today, I can guarantee he wouldn't have resorted to such tactics.

Jorginho would have been dropped and you would have had Mount Kova and Kante in midfield. Maybe even Kova dropped for Havertz (unlikely though, since he still hasn't settled in).