• Loftus-Cheek
    • Mount
    • Havertz
    • Werner
    • Barkley (sub)
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)
    • Azpilicueta (sub)

1 minute ago, The Skipper said:

Lampard is genuinely on Emery Watch after that setup for the game, what were we doing? Genuinely got bailed out by Reece James. 

Just don't understand why you would buy one of the most exciting #10 talents in the world, play a "system" that utilizes the number 10 role but then pinning him out wide on the right whilst playing RLC there instead? Then leaving our best available wide man/creator on the bench? We got outplayed by Brighton. 

It's very disheartening to see but looks like SFL actually has no idea how he wants his team to play after that and I think that's the most sour thing about it all. 

I guess defensively we looked a lot better though but Brighton still had their moments - a better team punishes us - and it feels like we've got some sort of system resembling there, but our play in the second and finak third genuinely felt so chaotic. 

Really disappointed in Frank. Hope he turns it around against Liverpool. 

One thing I've read in a couple of different reports is that Lampard plans to initially use Havertz out wide whilst acclimatising to the pace and intensity of the league, before he likely ends up playing centrally.

I got really angry during the game.
I was very excited before this one, I was looking forward to the first game, obviously it’s not about results.

I expected an evolution and a step ahead of Frank Lampard.
It was horrible to relive the worst feelings of last season.
We really have a problem in the bench, not a source of solutions, it is a big problem.

I have to say that Brighton is an interesting project, they have a good coach, a good coach maximizes the resources he has.

I don't know if anyone asked, but the question that Lampard had to ask is what is the explanation for starting a player who is not capable of running, winning a duel, making a pass or receiving a ball.

The line-up didn't have any logic, it didn't seem to have been trained, the players didn't know what to do on the field.

It was a pain to watch this game. More than an hour of RLC in the field.
From Russia, South Africa, Brazil, United States, Indonesia.
Everyone asked for this substitution from the first 10 minutes of the game.

James' individual genius, in that courageous action, saved the day.
He gave us the 3 points.
I couldn't even taste that masterpiece well.

But this is not about 3 points.

We are not going anywhere without a capable commander.

Just now, The Skipper said:

What's he going to do when Ziyech is back fit? Also, CHO would be more effective than Kai on the right imo. He's not the sort of player you willingly play on the right when we have quite a bit of talent there. 

I think my fear is that Lampard won't make use of the right squad rotations - his obsession with playing 8/10s on the wing is worrying me. 

Maybe I'm looking into it too much and just need a night's rest to look at it more objectively but the managerial performance tonight has left a real sour taste. 

From what it sounds Ziyech won't be fit for a few weeks so it could well create an opportunity for Havertz to play there.

The lack of width hurt us at times and I think CHO probably should have started, but even then tonight he would have played on one side and we still would have had one of Havertz or Mount playing wide, unless Werner played there.

Again I think Lampard loves versatility in his attack and that versatility gives him multiple options but with a smaller group of players to work with. We now only have three players naturally comfortable with playing as wingers but multiple others that can 'do a job' in those positions

I think until Lampard has the the squad fully available it's difficult to judge too much what he wants to try and do this season with this group. Without a pre season it will be very difficult for a number of these new players to hit the ground running when they've had no opportunities to play together with new teammates and not much time to train together. You could see this clearly with Havertz tonight. He looked mostly tidy and the talent is clearly there but he simply wasn't on the same wavelength as others around him but should we expect nothing less when he's only been training at the club for a week and with a number of players on international duty, will have been training with the whole squad only for a couple of days. 

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

That is not a howler. Alisson did worse for a couple of goals the other day and no one said a word.

Jorginho goal and assist. And played the action before the corner for the 3rd goal. Plus won the ball before penalty. Captain, leader, great defensively, motm.

Carew did even worse.

We need to show a different face against Liverpool next Sunday if we are to establish ourselves as league contenders.
Today the midfield had a day off and our defenders were inviting Brighton players to try easy  long range shots, out of which we conceded a goal.
About Kepa I 'm not sure he should start and not Caballero.
Let's also consider the goals we scored:
First one was a fluke -they made a childish error. Second one was good but from 30 meters out anyone can do it once in his life. The third was also a fluke.
If there is a plus from today's win I will acknowledge it only ig Brighton prove to be a force in this year's EPL.

2 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

If he had just 2-3 good months, he would not have been in contention for our player of the year or PL's young player of the year award. Just because you have made yourself believe that "he was poor", does not mean anyone/most people see it that ways. 

You think CHO would have dared better defensively against lamptey? It was quite clear we were going to go long ball, CHO on the left would have been as nullified as Kai on the right. Mount atleast gave us numbers in the mid and link up between jorginho-kante with werner and RLc 

People react because you are ALWAYS critisizing mount. You are critisizing him after a solid game as if he had a shocker. 

Jorgi had a good game, but are we willing to play this way or play without a press all season long? It's pretty obvious jorgi can't be a solo DM, as he is targetted consistently. A double pivot with kante or kova, means a 4-man press which will really cost us. I don't know any team which successfully plays a pressing game having a double pivot. A pressing game requires 4-3-3. Also, don't think I have ever personally abused kepa ever. Specially on a forum where people call players like "donkeyoko" and "donkeywater" or "batshit", I think nothing I have said can be called as abuse.

But I would not say a word about Mount tonight if one member did not say Mount motm (I still think he was joking). I responded to what I think was unfair to say.

I had Mount as a starter before the game but as AM. Lamps replaced him a couple of times last season at half time and I think he would not be wrong if he did it again. Same with RLC.

Mirror:

Chelsea

Arrizabalaga 5

Is he still here? Remains a huge issue as he should have stopped Trossard shot.

James 8

Struggled defensively but hit a sensational strike and provided assist.

Zouma 7

Provides some power and strength while he was an unlikely goalscorer.

Christensen 6

They still look vulnerable in defence but he does look strong in possession.

Alonso 7

Maybe battling for his place will bring out the best in him at left back.

Jorginho 7

Sat deep and ran the midfield. A coolly taken penalty and good vision.

Kanté 7

Works so hard, you can see why he remains such an important figure.

Loftus-Cheek 5

Surprise selection, had a poor game, kept giving the ball away. No belief.

Mount 6

His passing was sloppy. Worked hard but struggled to get going.

Havertz 7

Such a clever player. Nice passing, got things moving and showed his class.

Werner 7

His pace, acceleration and runs really stretched Brighton. Promising debut.

BBC: 

Mount 5.55 

Express:

Mason Mount - 6

Will want to have more impact as he strives to nail down a place among Chelsea's star-studded attack.

football.london:

Mason Mount

Playing off the left, he looked to get into the game and had one nice cross. But really didn't have too much impact in the opening half of the game.

Also struggled to get into the game too much as well. Didn't have much joy off the left and couldn't make things happen with the ball at his feet. 5

Looks like every journalist agrees with me that he was not in at least top7 performers.

I read a lot of psychology and I think some Chelsea fans have this irrational love for Mount and now for Rice for what they represent to them.

People associate Mount with Lamps and Rice with Terry. Now Rice in our new Terry, yes as CB and he did not play CB last 2 seasons. Never since 17/18 season when he was just a teen. What is the logic to claim he is our new Terry?

Just because he is from our academy and have some similarities? Completely irrational.

But in a couple of months everyone is going to see what is Frank going to do with Mount. When all Puli, Kova, Hakim are fit and Kai settles Mason will have Barkley status from last season.

And I do not hate him lol. I am just sensitive to injustice and I only work with facts.

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

Zouma and AC were not too bad, thank fuck

AC in particular, in this match. Surprised to see him throwing his body in the way of shots, etc. when I'm normally used to seeing him playing so passively and giving up under pressure.

We are still terrible in set pieces though. Without Azpilicueta playing, we looked even worse with no one taking charge. Kepa is not vocal.

Hopefully Silva and/or Mendy can fix that issue.

3 hours ago, El P. said:

Werner looked classy, Havertz not so much. Hoping to see him at #10 soon. But, good thing about him - he really pressed them and worked hard in defense, stole a lot of balls.

Also, James will be player of the season, I hope.

Did Havertz press hard though?

I remember that one lung bursting run to win back the ball he lost in the 2nd half. Aside from that, and a few off the ball movements into the box, he was fairly anonymous.

However, yes, I fully agree that he needs more game time. He hasn't had a pre-season, and was played out of his best position. Also, its a new league and he is really young. 

Hope he gets time to work his form up though. Media and opposition fans will be on him like hounds because of the price tag. Thankfully he gets to play his first few Chelsea games without the scrutiny of the crowd.

We won 9 vs 11 so I can only laud the players for pulling off such an effort. Never bought into his hype hope RLC gets sold asap, even Barkley is more useful. We won't see Kepa again until the Carling cup hopefully.

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

But I would not say a word about Mount tonight if one member did not say Mount motm (I still think he was joking). I responded to what I think was unfair to say.

I had Mount as a starter before the game but as AM. Lamps replaced him a couple of times last season at half time and I think he would not be wrong if he did it again. Same with RLC.

Mirror:

Chelsea

Arrizabalaga 5

Is he still here? Remains a huge issue as he should have stopped Trossard shot.

James 8

Struggled defensively but hit a sensational strike and provided assist.

Zouma 7

Provides some power and strength while he was an unlikely goalscorer.

Christensen 6

They still look vulnerable in defence but he does look strong in possession.

Alonso 7

Maybe battling for his place will bring out the best in him at left back.

Jorginho 7

Sat deep and ran the midfield. A coolly taken penalty and good vision.

Kanté 7

Works so hard, you can see why he remains such an important figure.

Loftus-Cheek 5

Surprise selection, had a poor game, kept giving the ball away. No belief.

Mount 6

His passing was sloppy. Worked hard but struggled to get going.

Havertz 7

Such a clever player. Nice passing, got things moving and showed his class.

Werner 7

His pace, acceleration and runs really stretched Brighton. Promising debut.

BBC: 

Mount 5.55 

Express:

Mason Mount - 6

Will want to have more impact as he strives to nail down a place among Chelsea's star-studded attack.

football.london:

Mason Mount

Playing off the left, he looked to get into the game and had one nice cross. But really didn't have too much impact in the opening half of the game.

Also struggled to get into the game too much as well. Didn't have much joy off the left and couldn't make things happen with the ball at his feet. 5

Looks like every journalist agrees with me that he was not in at least top7 performers.

I read a lot of psychology and I think some Chelsea fans have this irrational love for Mount and now for Rice for what they represent to them.

People associate Mount with Lamps and Rice with Terry. Now Rice in our new Terry, yes as CB and he did not play CB last 2 seasons. Never since 17/18 season when he was just a teen. What is the logic to claim he is our new Terry?

Just because he is from our academy and have some similarities? Completely irrational.

But in a couple of months everyone is going to see what is Frank going to do with Mount. When all Puli, Kova, Hakim are fit and Kai settles Mason will have Barkley status from last season.

And I do not hate him lol. I am just sensitive to injustice and I only work with facts.

You actually think a source which gave kai more than mount is reliable? If mount had made that howler pass, scuffed a shot, lost the ball n number of times and shown that "body language", people would have ripped him a new one.

And if we are using ratings, then I would rather use a good one like whoscored which rated that performance as 7.2, more than Kai's 6.9

If we were looking at facts, then mount had 2 key passes tied highest in the team with jorginho (kai had 1), he had tied highest dribbles with werner (2, kai had 1), he was dispossessed just once (kai had 3, werner had 2).

Defensively he had the team's highest tackles - 4, and a very important clearance.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1485192/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2020-2021-Brighton-Chelsea

So MoTM, not for me, but I wont ridicule anyone who thought so too. It was a solid performance and if kai had put in a similar one with similar numbers, we would all be jizzing ourselves.

So again, it's the internet, you could find sources, supporting your argument, I can do so with mine. It's all just perspective and bias, just the way you claim that one of the best pl young players had just 2 good months last season. 

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Fans, or part of them, may think that Mount is the new Lampard, that Rice is the new Terry and Abraham the new Drogba.
Something frustrating to watch but irrelevant.

Very serious is that the coach has an obsession with Mason Mount and show us a father-son relationship inside the club, be crazy about hiring Rice for exorbitant prices with the idea of making him Terry, besides what happened with Chilwell too.

Just as fans rate Lampard for the legend he was as a player and not for what he does each week as a coach.

Lampard is never rated as a coach.

How does he put a player who can't run, win a duel, make a pass or receive a ball in the place of the team's playmaker when he just hired a playmaker for 80 million and killed him in a side band?

How does the team enter the field without knowing what to do?

Why are there collective mistakes that have never been corrected since the first day of last season?

Questions that would be asked if another coach was in charge.

5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

One thing I've read in a couple of different reports is that Lampard plans to initially use Havertz out wide whilst acclimatising to the pace and intensity of the league, before he likely ends up playing centrally.

Assuming that is the case, how long is Lampard gonna play him out wide before moving him to the center? If Havertz continues to play out wide and let's say he continues to not do much, then that could affect his confidence and increase the pressure on him especially after the money we spent on him. 

5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Again I think Lampard loves versatility in his attack and that versatility gives him multiple options but with a smaller group of players to work with. We now only have three players naturally comfortable with playing as wingers but multiple others that can 'do a job' in those positions

The one potential problem I have is with all these options and versatility, Lampard could start overthink things and tinker around too much. I know he wants us to be adaptable, fluid and not be predictable with our attacking play but I am afraid if he starts to tinker around too much, the players won't develop any kind of of understanding and consistency because players are being moved around too much and are not playing in their best position. Be it 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or whatever the system is, Lampard needs to settle on a formation and start picking the best players that fit into that system - e.g. play the players in their best position. 

5 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Maybe fans associate Mount with Lampard, maybe fans have a soft corner for him as he is from the academy, maybe there are other reasons for this irrational love. But the question is why the extra love only for him ... why not James or Odoi or AC or Tammy. I see the others receive much slack than Mount. Food for thought would be: Maybe he is doing something right than the others. Possible? 

For me, Mount brings loads of energy in the middle, is always pressing well and is threat in the final third ... u can find him defending in the box and at the same time he will be on par with the striker on the counter. For the system that Lampard is playing with you need your midfielders working the shit out of themselves. Yes there are flaws to his game but with better players around, maybe he can overcome those or hide those. Last year he became a defacto choice for Lampard however this season I feel with competition for places it would be interesting to see if he has the will to fight or have success gone into his head. 

Decent game we had yesterday, Won by a margin of 2 goals despite being not good. 

Quite a few players were out of positions. First reaction on Havertz was he is so lost and he will suit more on the center than wide. But then only his first game which is ridiculous. Werner will get us loads of goals or assists once the team settles. Both CBs shows determination and were good if compared with their past performances. Mount & Kante did what they do best. RLC was a disappointment yest. Resse James covered his mistakes with that awesome stirke. And what to mention about Kepa, I'm starting to feel it is no longer a confident issue the goal which went in was a skill issue. 

Found a couple of things interesting and being done differently from our last competitive game. Lampard deployed long ball tactics, we werent going for the ball till about the 60th min ... we were happy to sit back and let the opposition have the ball (not sure if this was delibrate or not, I feel it was), sat deep for the first trying to soak pressure drawing the opposition and trying for the counter. 

We could have started with Odoi wide instead of Havertz? :ph34r: ... Mystery which would never be resolved. 

For me it's Frank trying to keep players sweet, and when I say that I specifically look at players like RLC. Absolutely no way would it of entered my mind he starts last night.

Havertz is good but he cannot play every single position and still play at the highest of his ability. It's easy to say now but Havertz in for RLC and CHO out wide right.

FL just batting away noises of another keeper won't fool anyone, Mendy is coming and the quicker we get Kepa out of this goal might go some way to solving the confidence and errors in this back line.