Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Fair enough, I just can't see Mikel replacing Matic against, like you say, strong teams like City anyway. It hasn't worked before and it won't work now if we lose Matic. We needed either or both Matic and Luiz in midfield to beat them. Without at least one, Yaya was just too much to handle. In those tough matches, Luiz played, not Mikel.

Again, Mikel hardly ever plays with Jose. He plays less with Jose than with previous managers. I honestly thought that with Luiz gone Mikel was going to play more, which hasn’t happened.

Let me make my point clear here: Mikel cannot possibly substitute Matic because he is not in the same ballpark as quality goes; and when I say quality I’m referring to strength, work rate, mental, and skill. That Jose does not rotate players we know very well, which actually worries me. Why not replace Matic in easy games esp at home after we build a solid lead? That’s also not done.

Say Matic breaks a leg… Now we are talking about starting Mikel in every match and that was not enough in the past – the reason why Matic was acquired.

They are in the same ball park, both are holding midfield players. Sure Matic might be a better player than Mikel but they are both similar players.

The point is teams that want to win league championships and compete in 2 or 3 other competitions as well need a strong squad with players who play in similar positions but of varied quality (example: Salah, Schurrle, Ake, Mikel, Zouma, Remy in comparison to Willian, Hazard, Cesc, Matic, Cahill, Costa). You can't have a squad of 23 world class players or 23 great players where everyone would walk into every team and keep everyone happy. It doesn't work. I mean we couldn't even keep De Bruyne, Mata, Hazard, Willian, Schurrle and Oscar all happy, seeing as they would of all gotten regular games in most teams in the Champions League except for Real, Barca and Bayern. You need reliable players who can step in for others if they get injured/need a rest and can do a job. Maybe Schurrle isn't Hazard or Salah isn't Willian but you'd imagine if they were needed they could do a decent enough job. Having a man like Mikel who has won everything at Chelsea and has played in various big games is worth keeping around if he's content to be a squad player, because who says we won't get injuries???

¿What some people want? 2 TOP players in the same position?. This is impossible, we have the best in this position, who plays the 90% of the games, so we need a player that play the remaining 10% , help for close the games, and assume his role, and Obi does this.

He is very good squad player, doesn't complain about his role... where is the problem with him?.

If in the future we sign someone better? Good, but now, I don't find a problem with him.

'They figure out he's shit and then he gets benched -then they sacked?' So are you now indicating in the slightest that Mikel has gotten managers sacked? I mean cmon, talk about ridiculous posts. I mean sure people can complain about things like his lack of ambition while passing and that but to say something like that is daft.

Also 8 managers of different philosophies and playing styles had constantly been picking Mikel up until 2013 on a regular basis since he joined the club so I can't exactly see how we are still debating whether he's ever been good enough or not. His appearances under a variation of coaches, who collectively have won near enough every trophy in club football prove he is good enough at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Ex-players like Michael Ballack, said on Sky Sports in a game we played in Europe at some point last season we should have been playing Mikel in the game because hes a good and very important player.

I can't see Jose setting up with a Ramires-Cesc midfield duo. It would be too easy for teams like Man City or even Man United to come in and use bigger powerful athletic players and overrun us in there. Matic gives our pivot that physicality part against the bigger players like Toure, Fernando, Fellaini etc.

He's said in an interview Mikel and Matic are similar players and I believe that if Matic gets injured Mikel will come in.

Also the bit in bold, why would he replace Matic if he doesn't need to? You want your better players playing so if he can keep Matic playing every game theres no need to sub him off. Also if you're protecting a lead why sub one holding midfield on for another ahead of subbing on a holding player for an attacking midfield player? Subbing Mikel on for Matic, instead of Oscar/Willian/Cesc or whoever to protect a lead would one of the stupidest things you could do, imagine Jose did that 'to protect a lead' honestly what would you think? I'd certainly be wondering what was going on in his head.

Questioning his ambition, I kind of agree but he's someone who owes this club a lot. Managers have constantly played him and helped him develop and grow into a better player than what we got when he first arrived despite people constantly criticizing him. Maybe he feels he owes Chelsea or maybe he doesn't mind not being a regular at a huge club but he doesn't kick up a fuss about it either way which I think is worth a bit of respect given the power modern day footballers have over their clubs these days.

Yeah because I clearly said Mikel is responsible for managers being sacked... Sigh...

You have your opinion, I have mine, the guy is a liability - my opinion won't change - he's 'coasting' through life at Chelsea - show me clips of him putting his body on the line - like Terry, Cahil, Azpi, Iva, Matic do week in week out - the 'cock' as I will now refer to him, doesn't, he would rather let players run past him...

I wouldn't disagree that he tries harder for his country- which is exactly my point - I don't give a fuck how skilled the player is, every minute they are on the pitch for Chelsea they need to give 100% - he simply does not do that. And that's why he is a liability - both on and off the pitch, because to ME, that's just not acceptable...

I hope he is moved on in Jan or the Summer and AKE given a chance.

I also agree that if Matic gets injured we are fucked in midfield.

Just one more point:

The reason why Mikel does not play isn't because Jose does not rotate players; Mikel does not play because of the difference in quality between him and Matic, which prevents Jose from rotating in that position. Doesn't Jose rotate in other positions where the quality is similar?

Jose does not rotate: Matic, Fabregas, and Costa. Whenever fit, they play.

Many top teams have better options sitting on the bench.... even if not a lot better or as experienced as Mikel is, certainly hungrier.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys know what's going down tomorrow, right?

Mikel is going to put on an absolute masterclass in Newcastle. I can feel it.

Quote me and tell me I was wrong after the game. I dare you.

This of course requires him to start and/or feature for a large part of the game. Don't quote me if doesn't, innit. :Goober:

dear mother of GOD!!!!! :fainthv9::fainthv9::fainthv9::philjones:philjones:philjones

LOL That was some guy who was badmouthing Mikel before the game last season against Derby and said that he'd his name tattooed on his arse if he scored! :lol:

Credit to the guy for actually going through with it. Takes some massive balls!