test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Fulham Broadway

Mikel John Obi

Started by Fulham Broadway,

6,486 posts in this topic

I thought Mikel was solid today. A couple misplaced passes, but overall, he looked very tidy, and his first touch was exceptional, I think, which was important when playing against high-pressing teams. Also, it was nice to see him push forward when he needed to.

BleedsBlue and TorontoChelsea like this

I thought Mikel was solid today. A couple misplaced passes, but overall, he looked very tidy, and his first touch was exceptional, I think, which was important when playing against high-pressing teams. Also, it was nice to see him push forward when he needed to.

had the same impression of him, nice to see him adding a bit off aggresiveness to his gameplay but I'm not gett'n overexcited he had some games in the past where he seemed to finally get this better attitude and then it faded away... hope he can keep it up, hat some nice interceptions ant tackles and feeded our creative players pretty well with his crisp passing...

After Hazard he was our best man yesterday. Was solid in the middle, covered for Iva several times and dictated the tempo throughout the game. Excellent performance all around. I also like his relation with Hazard: Mikel seemed always to be able to find Eden in a good position. Glad to see the two have a good understanding.

I have big expectations for John this season; with Song gone he should be the best DM in the league.

sleazyB likes this

I'm still not sure where this hate for Mikel against Reading comes from?

Admittedly, I only watched the highlights - but he looked to be playing really well - and much more adventurous! Isn't that what everybody wanted?

The poor lad cannot win.

I was critical of him during pre-season, but he seems to have improved in PL and will just keep getting better - he has the ability to be the new Essien, he just needs some belief and forgiving fans...

zolayes likes this

I agree with Stewie. Thought he had a good game. Good interceptions and some good tackles. Also provided pretty good support to the attacking players and hardly giving the ball away as usual. No complaints really.

Muzchap and Stats like this

Sorry but Mikel is not a 1st choice holding midfielder. Just not good enough. I think back to the days of Makelele & Deschamps and John Obi cannot hold a candle to them. Any of Tiote, Cabaye, M'Vila, Capoue & Biglia would all be an improvement.

BLionheart and RamiCFC9 like this

Its sad to see that most of our fans are always disappointed with the players we have right now.Its not possible for us to buy all the hot talents every transfer window.Mikel is a good player and had he been playing for some other top club,you all would be hoping he was a Chelsea player.

TorontoChelsea likes this

Sorry but Mikel is not a 1st choice holding midfielder. Just not good enough. I think back to the days of Makelele & Deschamps and John Obi cannot hold a candle to them. Any of Tiote, Cabaye, M'Vila, Capoue & Biglia would all be an improvement.

true about the two players who have retired NOT about the current ones you listed

Capoue is one of my favourits and I think for that price tag he's a bargain compared to tiote and M'vila... but still Mikel is better then BOTH... god... when will all of you get it, Mikel is here now for SEVEN Years and since three years he's 1st choice, whether you like it or not... If all this players where that much better then we would've bought them allready with RDM at the helmit and that spendingspree we had this summer, and its not even like hes a fans favourit like lamps or jt...

Muzchap likes this

Yup - it's a hard role to play though and get any thanks...

How I see that role is the same as 'IT Support' - everything works, nobody knows you exist, the minute it breaks you are slagged off until it's working and again nobody knows you exist... You can never improve things for the person, just return to normal. No, never worked in IT Support - but manage a team that does :)

So yes i get angry/frustrated with him - but against Reading he really and i mean REALLY tried to be the player he should be and it was really encouraging... A few more games, bit more confidence and we'll be Tiote who?

Roll on Saturday - c'mon Mikel, show Tiote as the imposter he is ;)

(P.S. Makalele was probably the BEST EVER DM - any comparisons to 'normal modern footballers' are unfair!)

Bir_CFC and Clevemayer like this

You're on the anti-Mikel bandwagon too? Ridiculous.

Carry this conversation in the Mikel thread.

I'm watching him playing and i'm really can't find what he does in the starting 11.

Slow game,Slow reaction,Bad tackles, Ball losses.

BLionheart and RamiCFC9 like this

Guys he's not as bad as we think, there's a lot worse and only a few better...

I would like Fellani in that role for us...

If we did decide to replace Him

Mickel is still fairly young... I think he is still a good prospect, but needs to work on (agree with poster above) his reaction and possession. Holding midfielders cannot be bad passers, and by bad I mean one bad pass is enough to determine a loss.

As a holding mid he also needs to cover forward runs of other players, which also demands mobility. A forward run by someone like Luiz should NEVER leave the team exposed if the team mechanics are working and the holding mid ,along with CMs, are doing their job.

Tiote is not a holding midfielder. He's a midfield destroyer. Nor is Cabaye, Biglia or Capoue.

If Mikel is so shit, why haven't the club been avidly searching for a replacement?