Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Very good post defending mikel, think the best for a few pages now. But what you stated above is directly placing the blame on mata for not being mobile enough to cover the space in the midfield? Which is why we had to play long balls since mikel had no one to pass to except the CenterBacks?

I think the blame for the distances between our lines is shared by the players and the manager. But ultimately, yes, it is mostly the job of the number 10 to drop deep to receive the ball just like we've seen KDB and Oscar do in preseason so far. But Mata is uncomfortable with his back to goal and Rafa did not want to sacrifice Mata's ability to get more goals and assists at number 10 for Oscar who does drop back. He tried to fix this by playing 4-4-1-1 with deeper wingers, but Oscar is not a winger and Hazard is an attacker and is not used to playing deep. It worked to some extent in the EL where we had Moses on one of the wings.

Their is no myth about Mikel playing easy safe negative passes and your stats are awful on Mikel's passing and the forward percentage , 85 to 90% of his passes should be forward and more to the point quick and progressive from such a deep position,a large % of his passes must be marginally forward because a large % of his passes are sideways to the full backs,his passing stats should show a more progressive slant from the deep position he occupies and taking into account a lot of his slow passes to the full backs must be marginally forward these stats are showing how negative his play is.

And as for Mourinho seeing Mikel as instrumental,we have yet to see if that is true. Nothing we have seen or heard so far has pointed to Mourinho seeing Mikel as being instrumental .

Their is no myth about Mikel playing easy safe negative passes and your stats are awful on Mikel's passing and the forward percentage , 85 to 90% of his passes should be forward and more to the point quick and progressive from such a deep position,a large % of his passes must be marginally forward because a large % of his passes are sideways to the full backs,his passing stats should show a more progressive slant from the deep position he occupies and taking into account a lot of his slow passes to the full backs must be marginally forward these stats are showing how negative his play is.

And as for Mourinho seeing Mikel as instrumental,we have yet to see if that is true. Nothing we have seen or heard so far has pointed to Mourinho seeing Mikel as being instrumental .

Choulo19 will be put on suicide watch when mourinho's intentions become clear.

Mikel does not carry the ball out that is a big part of his failings as a player .

He does not because he's instructed not to. He's the holding midfielder.

He certainly has the ability to carry the ball, he does it all the time for Nigeria. So it isn't a "failing".

He really needs to be faster in releasing the ball. He ruined a great counter attack chance in the 81st minute, after the period of pressure from milan by holding on to the ball for too long

Yeah that was pretty frustrating because he has the ability to actually make that pass.

It felt like he really slowed down the play once he came on

Very reminiscent of Joe Cole's last season at the club. Both first choices under numerous managers, both played almost 300 games but once you're out of sync with your teammates, you're out of the club.

Will still have a role in the team, and for good reason.

Its funny with the double standards going on. Many people this pre-season lush over Essien on supposedly how well he does the basic and holds the ball in the midfield and not need to run around too much. Yet this is what exactly what Mikel has done for us the last few years (and quite well in my opinion) yet gets constantly slated over.

Still should be ahead over Essien in the pivot positions. Either partnering van Ginnkel or Ramires.

He's a good option to have against certain oppositions. I think people are too harsh on him just because he can't pass like Pirlo. I also think he had the best summer out of all our players. He really stood out in the Confederations Cup, and I hope he can continue to play like that.

He's a good option to have against certain oppositions. I think people are too harsh on him just because he can't pass like Pirlo. I also think he had the best summer out of all our players. He really stood out in the Confederations Cup, and I hope he can continue to play like that.

David luiz n oscar were regular starters in a brazil team that won all their matches at confeds n also the trophy while mikel could only get his team to win 1 game (vs tahiti) and lost the other 2 games. Interestingly mikel still had the better summer.

David luiz n oscar were regular starters in a brazil team that won all their matches at confeds n also the trophy while mikel could only get his team to win 1 game (vs tahiti) and lost the other 2 games. Interestingly mikel still had the better summer.

By same logic, Mikel had a better season than Gareth Bale who couldn't win a single trophy last season. I'm obviously talking about their performances. Oscar didn't have the best of tournaments although Luiz definitely did.

By same logic, Mikel had a better season than Gareth Bale who couldn't win a single trophy last season. I'm obviously talking about their performances. Oscar didn't have the best of tournaments although Luiz definitely did.

With all due respect to Nigeria, the country, but their national team still has some ways to go to be comparared to Brazil.

Just saying that breaking into Brazil's team, especially at a young age as Oscar did is no small feat. Think about the Brazilian players who DID NOT make it - not called up - this time around. Just to mention a few: Fernandinho (21m City player), William, our own Ramires, Kaka, and we could go into less known players whose valuation would still be above 10m. BTW, Oscar started in every match...

Still kudos to Mikel for a good performance in the Conf Cup.