test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

11. Timo Werner

Started by Jason,

579 posts in this topic

His work ethic reminds me of Schuurle When he came back to rejoin the lads for pre season after winning the WC He ca,e back 2 weeks before the Gooners German lads saying it was important to him to do it.

Watching football in these conditions is kinda funny, now you can clearly hear what players are saying... yesterday on ig i saw a player shouting YEET before scoring with his head lol

Yeboii likes this

Timo Werner on life in the fast lane: Scoring goals for sweets, congestion charges and living up to his nickname

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/18/timo-werner-life-fast-lane-scoring-goals-sweets-congestion-charges/

The London congestion charge may have caused Timo Werner some confusion, but, other than that, Chelsea’s new turbo-charged striker feels settled and ready to give Premier League defenders the runaround.

Born in Stuttgart, the home of car manufacturers Porsche and Mercedes-Benz, speed has always come naturally to Werner, who clocked 11.1 seconds for 100 metres as a teenager.

Now aged 24, Werner believes he would be even faster over the same distance and his speed of mind and movement were both on show during an encouraging Chelsea debut against Brighton, in which he won the penalty from which Jorginho opened the scoring.

Of all the club’s summer signings, the feeling inside Chelsea has been that Werner is the one ready to hit the ground running and live up to his nickname.

And it would be a double blow for Liverpool if the German international opened his Chelsea account against them on Sunday, given the London club beat the Premier League champions to the player dubbed ‘Turbo Timo’.

“Turbo Timo is not the worst nickname and, hopefully, I can show it suits me,” said Werner. “Being fast is a really good thing for me because it gives me a lot of opportunities in the game to score goals.

“It means I can create chances. For me, it’s a nickname I can hold and maybe people can say Turbo Timo scores a lot of goals.”

While the speed may have come naturally, Werner’s running and endurance were cultivated from an early age by his father, Gunther Schuh, who was a lower league footballer and amateur coach.

As well as having his son running laps of the football pitch that the team he coached played on, Schuh took Werner, who takes his surname from his mother, out to the hills to work on his speed and fitness.

“My dad always wanted me to be faster and he wanted to give me strength in my muscles,” said Werner. “He let me run up some hills and it helped me a lot. It taught me you have to work hard and the strength and fitness in the games doesn’t come from doing nothing. 

“It wasn’t the hills that gave me my speed, it was me thinking about how you have to train and work hard and be fit enough to go past defenders.”

Schuh also taught Werner to take goalscoring seriously from an early age, offering extra pocket money to spend on sweets for each time he hit the net and later only offering the financial incentive for goals scored with his weaker left foot or his head.

“At the beginning of my career, when I was nine or 10, we had a lot of tournaments,” said Werner. “For every goal, he didn’t give me much. It was for me to say ‘ok if I score 10 goals today I will have 10 euros’.

“It can buy me a lot of candy. It was my feeling when I was a kid. It was a joke with my dad. It made me want to score goals and I love scoring goals.”

The financial incentives have steadily increased for Werner, who Chelsea signed for £47.5million from RB Leipzig, but some of his first pay packets have been dented by the London congestion charge.

“I can speak English and I can understand most things, but it is hard to read the bills,” said Werner. “You know, the letters when they come from the Westminster (Council), or the Government, something like that. Sometimes it is very hard English and sometimes I give it to the staff here and they can tell me in easier language what they want from me.”

Other than advising his German team-mate on moving to Chelsea, Antonio Rudiger has also helped with the bills as Werner added: “Toni gave me some tips about...the congestion charge, is it? I never knew about it and it was important he helped me, otherwise I would be getting a bill everyday.”

That early determination, encouraged by his father, to hit the back of the net as often as possible has been evident throughout Werner’s professional career. He became Stuttgart’s youngest-ever scorer in the Bundesliga, aged 17 years, six months and 16 days and, six weeks later, he was the first 17-year-old to score twice in a Bundesliga game.

While at Leipzig, Werner, aged 23, became the third-youngest player to score 75 Bundesliga goals, behind Gert Muller and Dieter Muller, and he left as the club’s all-time leading scorer with 95 goals in 159 appearances.

His new manager, Frank Lampard, still holds the Chelsea scoring record, with 211 goals, but Werner believes the time was right to challenge himself once again.

“In Leipzig, I was the best Timo I can be and I learned a lot from the manager about the playing style,” said Werner. “He gave me a lot about how to improve myself in different positions. 

“For me, it was the right time to say ‘Ok I want to try something new’. It was time to move out of Germany and I wanted to go to the Premier League, where there are a lot of massive, strong defenders. 

“It was time to take the next challenge in my life because I made steps coming from Stuttgart. I got to the first team, then went to Leipzig, played for Leipzig for four years and played in the quarter finals of the Champions League in the end.

“This was, for me, a really good experience and now I want a new way to grow, To give my game some parts of English football. When I get the strengths of English football, I will get more possibilities in my game or more options in my game to do different things.”

It is official now, I am in love with Timo. He got me even quicker than Hazard. That is a lovely interview. Everything he says is just right and spot on and makes you like him even more. And quite clearly now, he is the one who said no to the Liverpool deal. And that makes Mr. Klopp sooo upset. Very well played Frank.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

From all Ive read/seen he seems a class act. Got a good head on his shoulders and feet firmly on the ground.
I think he will be very good with us - for a long time hopefully.

Vesper likes this

1 hour ago, Milan said:

It is official now, I am in love with Timo. He got me even quicker than Hazard. That is a lovely interview. Everything he says is just right and spot on and makes you like him even more. And quite clearly now, he is the one who said no to the Liverpool deal. And that makes Mr. Klopp sooo upset. Very well played Frank.

Wonder who his favorite F1 driver is. :ph34r:

Vesper likes this

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Wonder who his favorite F1 driver is. :ph34r:

Indeed, that cought my eye too :D  My first guess was obviously Seb, but then I remembered his former team connection to Red Bull...

2 hours ago, Jason said:

These first few weeks in London haven’t completely gone by without complications though. The sheer size of the city and getting stuck in “crazy traffic” needed some getting used to, and the strange words being used around Cobham left him puzzled. “I’d never heard of ‘Lads’ before,” he laughs. “And the players were always saying, ‘Gaffer. Gaffer.’ I thought, ‘Who are they talking about?’ I knew that a ‘trainer’ was a ‘manager’ here. But ‘Gaffer’ was a new one for me.”

The aftermath of his successful debut, a 3-1 win at Brighton on Monday, brought more puzzlement. Chelsea’s medical staff told Werner he’d suffered a dead leg but the 24-year-old was instantly relieved to find that the limb hadn’t expired just yet. It was just another football term he hadn’t come across yet, the English equivalent of a “Pferdekuss” (literally: kiss of horse) as they call that type of bruising contact in his home country.

This is pretty amusing, reminds me of the stories of Dennis Wise putting his own stamp on English lessons for the Italian influx, making sure they knew all the slang and swearing.

If I was one of the English boys I'd definitely have a little fun with some of the lads coming in with regards to the language. We use so much slang in this country and lots of words have different meanings in different areas, it must be incredibly confusing for the foreign lads coming in at times.

Great interview though, and a great press conference too the other day. Elite, winning mentality. I hope he gets off the mark over the next couple of games because I think if he strikes hot it'll take a lot to stop him. This season might be too soon, but over the next couple of years I'm very confident he'll be firing us into a serious title challenge and trophies on the horizon.

4 hours ago, Milan said:

Indeed, that cought my eye too :D  My first guess was obviously Seb, but then I remembered his former team connection to Red Bull...

You do not like Red Bull Racing? :ph34r:

daniel-ricciardo-of-australia-and-red-bu

max-verstappen-of-netherlands-and-red-bu

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

You do not like Red Bull Racing? :ph34r:

I actually do. My wife is a huge Max fan so she kind of made me one too lol. I have one other favourite on the grid, though.

Jason likes this

38 minutes ago, bigbluewillie said:

One other thing aint I glad he never went to the scousers.

Mane Timo Salah

I wonder how the honest Dippers think (both of them) about what our top 4 will look like to them?

bigbluewillie likes this