• Mount
    • Willian
    • Hudson-Odoi
    • Abraham
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)
    • James (sub)

3 hours ago, !Hazard! said:

I expect Ajax pressing to target Zouma and his first touch as well as Tomori who has been done quite a few mistakes in last few games. Real shame we don't have anyone else available for that position right now. Kepa might have to go long a lot of the time so maybe having Giroud up front would be wise, he'd win most if not all of his aerial duels against Blind and Alvarez/Veltman. I guess Abraham could win those as well. Alonso might also be starting since he's such a good option for Kepa to play a long ball to.

Most important thing is to survive their first few waves of pressing. They can be quite vulnerable after we manage to make our way into their half. 

----- 

Interesting also to see what kind of lineup Ten Hag comes up with. In a few games this season he has chosen to go with Alvarez and Martinez (so essentially two CBs)* as midfield pivot with Blind and Veltman as CBs. If I had to guess I'd say they will go with that so essentially the same lineup as against Valencia. That linkup between Tadic, Ziyech and Van de Beek up front really frightens me and Promes has been scoring regularly this season so our defensive line and midfield have to be at their sharpest to avoid conceding tons of chances.

Their biggest achilles heel will be their right fullback. Dest and Mazraoui, whoever is picked to play there tomorrow night, are good going forward but quite poor defensively. Willian/Pulisic/Hudson-Odoi could have a field day against one of them. Either way, I wouldn't consider us as underdogs per se but since they are playing at home in front of their crazy fans, they are more likely to win this one than we are. A draw wouldn't surprise me and it would be quite a decent result from this game.

*Lisandro Martinez btw has been absolutely amazing player so far this season, what a steal they got for only 7 million euros this summer. Marc Overmars doing his magic in the transfer market once again.

Didn't really think of the Giroud angle. Spurs basically clawed it back against them by booting it to Llorente for Lucas and co to sweep up the second balls and they simply couldn't cope.

Would be harsh to drop Tammy even if it's just a one off but a Giroud, Odoi, Pulisic front three could be a real option for this one, and it will keep Tammy and especially Willian fresh for Burnley.

16 hours ago, Jason said:

That should be the XI + bench excluding Jamie Cumming. And just realized there's only 2 CBs in that squad!

4 potentially, as Reece and Azpi can both play CB, especially Reece (Azpi is only good in a back 3 at RCB)

15 hours ago, LAM09 said:

So you're saying 6 points is a must?

4 points from this double header (would probably go top) & 3 at home to Lille should see us progress.

The two MUST win games that are the hardest are away at Valencia and Ajax at SB. We should beat Lille at SB and a draw here works for me, although I obviously want all 3 points and to win the group. This fixture was the only one I was less than confident of winning when the draw came out, but then the nightmare of that Valencia SB game happened. If I could reverse any 3 games this year, I would pick that 2 goal lead blown draw v Sheffield United (if we had come back from nil 2 down to draw I would be so much less vexed!), the Super Cup (it is a major trophy, I care!, plus it was the fucking Bindippers) and that Valencia game as it was a home loss in the CL against a meh side.

Obviously the draw v Leicester (a damn food team) was not ideal, as was the league loss to victimpool (I still would trade a Super Cup win for that league loss) and I didn't list the Manure 4 nil game as we never had a chance (all the rest we did.)

2 hours ago, Yeboii said:

A "must-win" game for the U-19 today, with Gilmour nowhere to be seen.

He must be getting a part in tonights game :D

Well, that’s rather obvious given only 19 players travelled, including the 3rd choice keeper.

22 hours ago, Jason said:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/10/22/chelsea-squad-land-in-amsterdam-ahead-of-latest-champions-league?cardIndex=0-0

The 19-man squad for Ajax tomorrow. No Kante, Rudiger, Barkley AND Pedro.

Kepa Arrizabalaga
Marcos Alonso
Jorginho
Tammy Abraham
Willian
Willy Caballero
Kurt Zouma
Mateo Kovacic
Olivier Giroud
Mason Mount
Callum Hudson-Odoi
Christian Pulisic
Michy Batshuayi
Reece James
Cesar Azpilicueta
Fikayo Tomori
Jamie Cumming
Emerson Palmieri
Billy Gilmour

I can see Puli starting in CHO position. I won't play CHO every 3 days. 

Good team imo, was kinda expecting Giroud and/or Pulisic get a start here though but I guess Pulisic will be coming in as a sub at some point.

14 minutes ago, Fernando said:

I thought we would be more defensive with the 5 at the back. 

I think 5 at the back with our current set of CBs would have been a bad move. We would have conceded control of the midfield entirely to Ajax by giving them a man advantage and having 3 centrebacks, all of which are quite mediocre on the ball, would have made us struggle to keep possession or create anything. If we still had David Luiz then maybe it could have worked. 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 is the way to go right now