test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Vesper

Best prospects on the U23, U18, and Chelsea Youth squads as of August 2019

Started by Vesper,

21 posts in this topic

Strictly my opinion, and I may leave out some, please feel free to add names or correct me.

I will add, Loan-Army-wise, the only 3 I see with a any real chance at the first team are Ethan Ampadu, Dujon Sterling and Trevoh Chalobah. That's it, I doubt Jake Clarke-Salter will make it, he is 23 in a few weeks and looked poor the last game I watched for Birmingham. All the rest of the loan army can be sold, most all should be sold to make way for the new ones on the U23's, as the loan limits will be coming in and some are internationals.

I am not going to list a player for every position

CHELSEA FC U23

GK Jamie Cumming

CB Marc Guehi

CB Marcel Lavinier

CB Jack Wakely

LB Juan Famila Castillo (Unfortunately was loaned back to Ajax now, with an option to buy, GRRRR)

LB Ian Maatsen (plays CB and DMF as well)

RB Tariq Lamptey

DMF  Clinton Mola

CMF  Billy Gilmour (best young non first team player we have IMHO)

CMF Tariq Uwakwe

CMF Jon Russell

AMF  Faustino Anjorin

AMF  George McEachran

CF Charlie Brown

CHELSEA FC U18

GK Lucas Bergstrom    (2.01m)

CB Pierre Ekwah Elimby

CB Bashir Humphreys

CB Levi Colwill

CB Dynel Simeu

CB Sam McClelland

CB Josh Brooking

LB Jordan Aina

LB Charlie Wiggett

RB Valentino Livramento

RB James Clark

DMF Xavier Simons

DMF Henry Lawrence

CMF Joe Haigh

CMF Lewis Bate

AMF Thierno Ballo (best U18 IMHO)

AMF Ben Elliott

AMF Marcel Lewis

CMF Myles Peart-Harris

RW Dion Rankine

RW/SS Samuel Iling Jr.

CF Armando Broja

CF George Nunn

CHELSEA FC Youth

RB/CB Ashley Akpan 

CB Luke Badley-Morgan

DMF Charlie Webster

CMF Harvey Vale

CMF Lewis Hall

CMF Luke Badley-Morgan

AMF Rashann Scott 

RW Silko Thomas

CF Jude Soonsup-Bell (Probably our best striker prospect under contract on all teams, other than the first team)

We lost Jamal Musiala and Bright Arrey-Mbi to Bayern Munich, Jesuran Rak-Sakyi  to Crystal Palace, Jason Sraha to Arsenal, Daishawn Redan (U18) to Hertha Berlin.Marcin Bulka (U23) to PSG, and Adrian Akande to West Ham, plus some lesser prospects.

2 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

He looked awful in pre season.

Was youth player of the year last season. And started this season very well. 

Vesper likes this

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

Was youth player of the year last season. And started this season very well. 

He reminds me a bit of Matic with better shooting, but technique wise it wasn´t something that impressed me based on his pre season. But I did not watch him last season in his youth matches, so I could be wrong. We will see

On 18.8.2019 at 1:18 AM, Vesper said:

Strictly my opinion, and I may leave out some, please feel free to add names or correct me.

I will add, Loan-Army-wise, the only 3 I see with a any real chance at the first team are Ethan Ampadu, Dujon Sterling and Trevoh Chalobah. That's it, I doubt Jake Clarke-Salter will make it, he is 23 in a few weeks and looked poor the last game I watched for Birmingham. All the rest of the loan army can be sold, most all should be sold to make way for the new ones on the U23's, as the loan limits will be coming in and some are internationals.

I am not going to list a player for every position

CHELSEA FC U23

GK Jamie Cumming

CB Marc Guehi

CB Marcel Lavinier

LB Juan Castillo

LB Ian Maatsen (plays CB and DMF as well)

RB Tariq Lamptey

CMF  Billy Gilmour (best young non first team player we have IMHO)

CMF Tariq Uwakwe

AMF  Faustino Anjorin

AMF  George McEachran

Castillo and Anjorin are players I would want Frank to keep an eye on. Castillo is ready to play the BU role for Emerson and they are very similar, only Castillo can cross million times better than Emerson. Emerson is probably the better defender. It would be a perfect situation for both of them. Emerson gets the most playing time and once in a while Castillo gets chances to shine. For Franks system, he is ideal.

Anjorin is a top player with immense potential. He should be also ready for PL, even though he is only 17 years old. Once in a while, he should be on the bench or playing in the league cups etc. He and RLC could be a force together

Billy Gilmour has huge potential, but I have to say that he sometimes wents missing in games and that is way I don´t think he is ready yet. He needs to play for the U23 at least til winter and then maybe we could think about loan moves, which I right now don´t think would be the wisest decision to make. He has immense potential, but he needs more maturity. His dribblings, his technique, his vision are so good, but he needs to work on his shooting and the fact that he sometimes wents missing in matches. Maybe, he should gain a little bit of weight. Modric may not look like a bodybuilder, but Modric has solid legs and Billy does not have that. He is still very fast, but a little bit of leg muscles would probably give him more some benefits.

Marc Guehi seems to be a monster, but is still a very raw because he should have seen red today.  Seems to be a Zouma with more technique..He seems ready for a loan move.

Vesper likes this

On 8/19/2019 at 11:38 PM, killer1257 said:

Castillo and Anjorin are players I would want Frank to keep an eye on. Castillo is ready to play the BU role for Emerson and they are very similar, only Castillo can cross million times better than Emerson. Emerson is probably the better defender. It would be a perfect situation for both of them. Emerson gets the most playing time and once in a while Castillo gets chances to shine. For Franks system, he is ideal.

Anjorin is a top player with immense potential. He should be also ready for PL, even though he is only 17 years old. Once in a while, he should be on the bench or playing in the league cups etc. He and RLC could be a force together

Billy Gilmour has huge potential, but I have to say that he sometimes wents missing in games and that is way I don´t think he is ready yet. He needs to play for the U23 at least til winter and then maybe we could think about loan moves, which I right now don´t think would be the wisest decision to make. He has immense potential, but he needs more maturity. His dribblings, his technique, his vision are so good, but he needs to work on his shooting and the fact that he sometimes wents missing in matches. Maybe, he should gain a little bit of weight. Modric may not look like a bodybuilder, but Modric has solid legs and Billy does not have that. He is still very fast, but a little bit of leg muscles would probably give him more some benefits.

Marc Guehi seems to be a monster, but is still a very raw because he should have seen red today.  Seems to be a Zouma with more technique..He seems ready for a loan move.

nice!

and what about Maatsen, I REALLY like him

and moving down in age

Thierno Ballo

killer1257 likes this

Ashley Akpan and his sister Ashanti (Polish/Nigerian)

Sis & Bro Pro - that's the name of the YouTube channel, where 14-year-old Ashley Akpan and his younger sister Ashanti present their skills. They both play football and represent the colors of Chelsea London. Although they live and train in England, they speak Polish very well and their dream is to play for white and red. The fourth meeting of the "We play for Poland" project has already been held at the Polish embassy in London. As every year, representatives of PZPN met with young football talents of Polish origin. 

killer1257 likes this

Just now, Vesper said:

nice!

and what about Maatsen, I REALLY like him

and moving down in age

Thierno Ballo 

and

Ashley Akpan

I have only seen Maatsen play once and he seemed pretty good.

But I can´t give you an opinion on the U18 guys. I did not watch them in a long time

RJBOfficial likes this

4 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I have only seen Maatsen play once and he seemed pretty good.

But I can´t give you an opinion on the U18 guys. I did not watch them in a long time

We beat out Real, Barca, Shitty, Bayern (they REALLY wanted him), the Bindippers and Juve for Akpan (Lyon women (like Barca, Real and Bayern all tossed together in women's footie) wanted Ashanti BAD)

Obviously it is mad early (he is only 14, born Jan 7, 2005, which makes my arse feel ANCIENT :( , lolol, and I am only just turned 27 a few months back) but he has huge potential and they both seem to LOVE London.

Thierno Ballo, AMF and CMF and even plays winger ( Born: January 2, 2002 (age 17 years)

looks to be possibly the best young Austrian player since Valentino Lazaro and maybe even Alaba

He is short (may still grow a wee bit) but has a tremendous burst of pace and unreal dribbling

20 minutes ago, Samychim said:

Hi, I'm new here. Couldn't help but participate... 

How about Clinton Mola, Charlie Brown and Connor Gallagher? That's for the u23. I know Connor has been tearing up the Championship now but I wonder why no one's talking about Clinton either, nor Charlie. The U18, I have heard so much about youngsters like Lewis Bate, Levi Colwil as well. Also, I wanna ask, is Charlie Wigget a LB or  just CB and is Silko Thomas left-footed like Sam Iling Jr, cause I've never seen him play? Sorry for asking... 

Conor is no longer an academy/Chels Jr teams player, so was not included

Clinton Mola can be added to that list (as I stated, I am open to revisions)

the same for Charlie Brown

I know very little about Lewis Bate (called up for England U17's) and Levi Colwill (called up for England's U17's as well, and who looks to be a promising CB and is lefted-footed and can play LB as well) but by all means, I will add them as well

Silko Thomas is left-footed, yes, he is plays as an inverted RW

Charlie Wiggett is a LB

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/10/19/teenage-kicks--charlie-wiggett

2b4e011e0391bee0efb37052d905d83a.png

killer1257 likes this

The 5 wonderkids Chelsea fans must watch after FA Youth Cup win over Huddersfield Town

The Blues clinched a comfortable 4-0 win over the Terriers at Kingsmeadow

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/players/chelsea-fa-youth-cup-broja-17443660

Chelsea booked their place in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup after a convincing 4-0 win over Huddersfield Town at Kingsmeadow.

Armando Broja bagged a hat-trick and provided an assist for Myles Peart-Harris as the Blues stamped their authority on this year's competition.

Ed Brand's team will now face Bradford City in the next round in the New Year, as they look to clinch another title.

Tino Anjorin and Ian Maatsen both played in the game, but which players might Chelsea fans not be familiar with but really shined?

Tino Livramento

When you need pace down the right wing in Chelsea's academy, they are blessed with a couple of quick players.

Of course, Tariq Lamptey has been known to fly up and down that flank, but he has some competition in pace from Tino Livramento.

The 17-year-old started the game at right wing-back and his pace terrorised the Huddersfield defence on several occasions.

However, it wouldn't be fair to say that's all he possesses. He obviously has game sense as well and for the opening goal he read the pass to intercept and then feed in Armando Broja.

An impressive night from the youngster who signed his first professional contract in November.

snip

Video: Young star Armando Broja, shows fans there’s more to come from Chelsea’s academy

https://thechelseablog.org/2019/12/19/young-star-armando-broja-shows-fans-theres-more-to-come-from-chelseas-academy/

Not all Chelsea fans will know who Armando Broja is. Those that don’t are sure to at least know his name now, after the 18-year-old scored a hat-trick in a 4-0 FA Youth Cup victory over Huddersfield Town last night.

Broja is having a good season for the young Blues. In youth premier league action, he has scored nine-goals, in nine-appearances. Adding three last night to his tally makes him one to look out for.

snip

more info and summaries at the link

On 02/02/2020 at 0:02 AM, Vesper said:

He Can Open Up A Game – Chelsea Loanee Hailed By Dutch Club’s Technical Director

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/02/01/he-can-open-up-a-game-chelsea-loanee-hailed-by-dutch-clubs-technical-director/450349/

I like George. I've said many times that I think he's a better player than Josh. Looking forward to hearing what SC Cambuur think of him three months from now.

Vesper likes this

Meet Chelsea’s Armando Broja: the teenage forward given new deal last month who is starring in FA Youth Cup

https://theathletic.com/1596466/2020/02/11/armando-broja-chelsea-academy-tammy-abraham/

Broja-Chelsea-1024x682.jpg

Just think: you’re only 18 years old and people are already watching your every move to see if you can follow in the footsteps of Tammy Abraham.

That is no easy task for anyone but this is what Chelsea’s young striker Armando Broja is facing. According to those who know Broja best, fortunately it doesn’t faze him one bit.

The club have a mixed history when it comes to bringing top forwards through their academy. While Abraham and Dominic Solanke, who now play for the first teams at Chelsea and Bournemouth respectively, are regarded as crown jewels, others like Islam Feruz (albeit he was signed from Celtic at 16) have flattered to deceive.

But Chelsea’s decision to hand Broja a two-and-a-half year contract last month demonstrates the faith they have in his ability. The hierarchy had to act fast — sources have told The Athletic that a number of clubs across Europe were looking to prise him away — so that Broja would not follow Tariq Lamptey (Brighton) and Clinton Mola (Stuttgart) out of Stamford Bridge.

On Monday evening he led the line in Chelsea Under-18s emphatic 7-0 victory over Wolves in the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup. Unusually, Broja didn’t find the net — however he did play a key role in five of their goals.

Performing in this age group has become the exception to the norm of late. Since December he has been leading the line for the Under-23s in the more testing Premier League 2.

Given his age, that is some achievement already. He has undoubtedly benefited from his rivals making temporary moves elsewhere. Ike Ugbo joined Dutch second-tier side Roda JC on a season-long loan last summer and Charlie Brown moved on loan to Royale Union Saint-Gillois in Belgium at the end of last month.

But Broja’s upgrade was thoroughly deserved. His record for the Under-18s before Christmas was impressive — nine goals in as many appearances in the Under-18 Premier League. There was also a first hat-trick in the FA Youth Cup third-round rout of Huddersfield Town in December and another strike a month later in the fourth round against Bradford City.

He is in fine company in scoring an FA Youth Cup hat-trick against Huddersfield — Abraham and Solanke did the same earlier in their careers.

Other current members of the first-team squad, Mason Mount and Callum Hudson-Odoi, have also shone in this competition. Hudson-Odoi and Solanke are actually Chelsea’s joint-top scorers in the competition in a single season; Hudson-Odoi scored ten in 2017-18 while Solanke did the same in 2014-15.

“You can see how far all of those players have gone now,” Broja said recently. “Tammy is doing really well for the first team, hopefully he continues.

“To be among those names in scoring for Chelsea in the Youth Cup is a really great feeling. Hopefully I can get many more goals in the competition and maybe even some more hat-tricks.

“It’s good to set yourself targets so you have something to work towards, but for me I feel it’s just a case of keeping my head down, carry on working hard and hopefully the goals will come. Reaching or surpassing ten goals would be nice but I’ve just got to stay focused on my game.”

To get an indication of how quickly Broja is improving, just look at his record last season. Two goals in 21 appearances for the Under-18s.

So why the sudden change?

Broja was born in Slough but qualifies to play for Albania through his parents. Having already recorded five goals in four fixtures for Albania Under-19s, he netted another three in two games for their Under-21s last summer.

“He went back to Chelsea full of confidence after those internationals,” a source close to Broja tells The Athletic. “Last season he didn’t play as much as he wanted to but he came back this season with more belief and spaces started to open up for him in the squad.”

As Broja demonstrated against Wolves, he is two-footed and can run in behind defences. There is maybe a slight question mark over speed but his team-mates enjoyed capitalising on his all-round play.

The move for Ian Maatsen’s opener began with Broja winning the ball in the air; he crossed for Marcel Lewis to get the second and combined well with Tino Anjorin for the third; he was fouled for the penalty and Chelsea’s fifth, unselfishly handing the ball to Lewis to complete a hat-trick; and he sparked the counter-attack which led to the seventh, being fouled painfully in the process.

Broja-Chelsea-Wolves.jpg

His idol growing up was the Brazilian Ronaldo and he would watch clips of the former Barcelona star in his prime. As for his Chelsea heroes, Didier Drogba and Abraham are above the rest. Unlike those two though, Broja has not only been used in the No 9 position but has played across the front line. He wants to forge his own reputation rather than simply imitating those to have come before him.

Encouragingly for any long-term prospects at Chelsea, it is understood Broja is regarded highly by two members of Frank Lampard’s senior backroom staff — Joe Edwards and Jody Morris. Both worked with him when they had roles in the academy.

As a result of that relationship, as well as the positive feedback from his displays for the youth teams, Broja has been invited to train with the first-team squad more than once already this season.

So what does the future hold? He is clearly still a work in progress and coaches are working on enhancing all his main skills: finishing, heading, hold-up play, link-up play and running behind defences.

A decision will inevitably be made in the summer whether he is better off going on loan or continuing his development at Chelsea.

There are other choices that may need to be made. Albania are keen to give him a senior cap as soon as possible to ensure he chooses them over England. They probably have a few years before that may even start to become an issue but it is a sign of their concern that they don’t want to wait. Until players have appeared in a competitive fixture for their country they can always switch allegiances to another eligible nation.

For Broja though, his priority is all about the here and now. Chelsea have won the FA Youth Cup seven times in the last 11 years, including when Abraham and Solanke were in the teams. After Chelsea fell short last year, losing in the third round to Manchester United (who were inspired by a Mason Greenwood hat-trick), Broja wants to help the club get their hands back on the trophy and write his own name into the history books.

“It’s obviously the competition everyone wants to win,” he says. “Chelsea have won it a lot of times, we’ve always been the main club in the competition so I feel that we’ve got to live up to the expectations.

”We’ve got to produce as players and as a team to stand a chance of doing well in this competition. With the squad we have, I feel like we have a very good chance of going all the way.”

It’s early days, but the same could be said of Broja’s hopes of making a mark in the professional game.

killer1257 likes this

Chelsea risk losing prospect Samuel Iling-Junior as Bayern Munich and PSG circle

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/19/chelsea-risk-losing-prospect-samuel-iling-junior-bayern-munich-psg-circle-12267175/?ito=newsnow-feed

Samuel Iling-Junior

Chelsea risk losing one of the brightest talents in their youth system in the summer, with Samuel Iling-Junior’s youth contract running out and some of the biggest clubs in Europe circling. The 16-year-old midfielder is out of contract at the end of the season and the likes of Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain and Ajax have all shown an interest in snapping him up for a minimal compensation fee. The Blues are keen to extend Iling-Junior’s contract, but they have not been able to do so thus far, with the teenager keeping his options open. The promising youngster has caught the eye of the likes of Bayern and PSG while starring for Chelsea’s under-18 side and for England under-17s.

He was a starter for his country alongside the likes of Liverpool’s Harvey Elliott and Birmingham’s Jude Bellingham as England under-17s won the Syrenka Cup in Poland in September. 

Such have been his performances that he has been likened to fellow Chelsea academy star Callum Hudson-Odoi, who has been a regular in the first team under Frank Lampard since returning from injury. With Lampard at the helm, Chelsea have become a much more tempting prospect for youngsters as the manager is keen to promote young talents at Stamford Bridge, when others before him had not been. Iling-Junior may be encouraged by the progress of players such as Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount, Reece James, Fikayo Timori and Hudson-Odoi under Lampard and try to follow their paths to the first team. However, he could look at the progress of young English stars like Jadon Sancho in Germany and be tempted to ply his trade abroad. Chelsea are going to have to work fast to convince him to stay.

snip