test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

closed Man Utd 4-0 Chelsea

Started by Jason,

Man of the Match   23 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

• Kepa
    • Azpilicueta
    • Christensen
    • Zouma
    • Emerson
    • Jorginho
    • Kovacic
    • Barkley
    • Mount
    • Pedro
    • Abraham
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Kante (sub)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

681 posts in this topic

Abraham had a decent game. Not too disappointed. Giroud or Bats would not make so many balls stick that Abraham managed to today. 
Needs to sharpen and also manage to turn defenders and have a run but he is the best we've got this season to lead the line. Batshuayi has had multiple chances and has come off as a clumsy striker with zero awareness. Why not give Tammy a run? What better time than this season anyway. Giroud is clearly the sub because he offers nothing in pressing

Your dislike for Michy was made clear during preseason. To he's had "multiple chances" is farcical.

Probably his only run was after scoring at the Hawthorns to clitch the title. Players shouldn't warrant chances solely based on being youth products.

30 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Your dislike for Michy was made clear during preseason. To he's had "multiple chances" is farcical.

Probably his only run was after scoring at the Hawthorns to clitch the title. Players shouldn't warrant chances solely based on being youth products.

I think if today was an indicator for what Lampard wants then the one that'll struggle and I think be phased out through the season is actually Giroud. Abraham and Batshuayi are far more mobile and energetic to comply with the pressing that Lampard will require. 

I would have been unsure about Batshuayi in this role too previously but I saw enough in pre season to suggest that he would be willing to put the hard yards in pressing from the front. I think he'll get his opportunities sooner rather than later.

Johnnyeye and LAM09 like this

I think if today was an indicator for what Lampard wants then the one that'll struggle and I think be phased out through the season is actually Giroud. Abraham and Batshuayi are far more mobile and energetic to comply with the pressing that Lampard will require. 
I would have been unsure about Batshuayi in this role too previously but I saw enough in pre season to suggest that he would be willing to put the hard yards in pressing from the front. I think he'll get his opportunities sooner rather than later.
Hope that's the case starting Wednesday.

Separate point but anybody watching the Sky Sports coverage over here in the UK today will have experienced the punditry of Jose Mourinho.

I personally think it's a big negative for Sky Sports bringing him in. He's still clearly salty that at present nobody wants to touch him and whilst he has always been arrogant, that arrogance over time has evolved from cheeky to bitter, almost having to justify that he's still a good manager. I don't need to be switching on Sky Sports to watch any more self promotion having slept through Jamie Redknapp's shite punditry for what feels like decades.

I read an article earlier in the week where he suggested Lampard had no problems because we needed a striker and we had Tammy Abraham to bring in, and then criticises the decision to play him today. 

The dig at Luke Shaw at half time too was utterly pathetic and 'Uncle Rafa' was childish. It's embarrassing that the likes of Souness, Neville and Carragher don't have the balls to go against anything he says.

I'll always appreciate what he did at Chelsea but it doesn't stop him being an extremely unlikable prick.

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Separate point but anybody watching the Sky Sports coverage over here in the UK today will have experienced the punditry of Jose Mourinho.

I personally think it's a big negative for Sky Sports bringing him in. He's still clearly salty that at present nobody wants to touch him and whilst he has always been arrogant, that arrogance over time has evolved from cheeky to bitter, almost having to justify that he's still a good manager. I don't need to be switching on Sky Sports to watch any more self promotion having slept through Jamie Redknapp's shite punditry for what feels like decades.

I read an article earlier in the week where he suggested Lampard had no problems because we needed a striker and we had Tammy Abraham to bring in, and then criticises the decision to play him today. 

The dig at Luke Shaw at half time too was utterly pathetic and 'Uncle Rafa' was childish. It's embarrassing that the likes of Souness, Neville and Carragher don't have the balls to go against anything he says.

I'll always appreciate what he did at Chelsea but it doesn't stop him being an extremely unlikable prick.

I noticed that too. He said how we didn't need to buy players when we had Tammy, Mount and Zouma to recall. But then he criticizes Lamps for actually playing them.

Johnnyeye likes this

6 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I noticed that too. He said how we didn't need to buy players when we had Tammy, Mount and Zouma to recall. But then he criticizes Lamps for actually playing them.

It's easy to say the youth are good enough and then entirely a different level to have the faith in playing them.

This is the same Mourinho who said he'd be a failure if the current crop of Chelsea youngsters at the time didn't break through. Great comment at the start of his reign, quickly forgotten within a couple of months when he's soon moaning about squad deficiencies.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

The reason he wasn't given a run was because of his obvious flaws I think. 

The reason he wasn't given a run was because of his obvious flaws I think. 
Might be the case, but we don't exactly have an embarrassment of riches in multiple positions. We have to make the most of the entire squad this season.

Now that the dust has settled what happened was this:
We were the better side up to the point they scored their second goal - United were living on scrapes.
But the Zouma flop in the first half had already made things diffcult for us.
Then they make it 2-0.
That was it - game over and it can happen any time, any place if you are unlucky.

The thing to do under such circumstances is don't give up -like we did.
You must n't drop the white towel.
Ok, let it stay 2-0, the final result.

But we behaved like amateur side, abandoned positions, everyone panicked.
We awarded a 4-0 victory to Man. United, a team that will barely make it to the Europa cup of the next year.

Atomiswave and DDA like this

2 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

Now that the dust has settled what happened was this:
We were the better side up to the point they scored their second goal - United were living on scrapes.
But the Zouma flop in the first half had already made things diffcult for us.
Then they make it 2-0.
That was it - game over and it can happen any time, any place if you are unlucky.

The thing to do under such circumstances is don't give up -like we did.
You must n't drop the white towel.
Ok, let it stay 2-0, the final result.

But we behaved like amateur side, abandoned positions, everyone panicked.
We awarded a 4-0 victory to Man. United, a team that will barely make it to the Europa cup of the next year.

The mistakes for the first goal were very poor and the second goal was not well defended either, particularly as United created it from a bad pass on a counter.

But conceding the third goal so quickly was desperately naive and our play from there was also overall poor. That is where some of this team will need to learn. Like you said that 2-0 can happen, but even then you stay in the game and keep it tight for the next 10-15 minutes. Then once you get to the last 10-15 minutes you push again because a late goal with a few minutes to go suddenly puts the doubts on United and anything can happen. But conceding again straight away completely killed the game and the last half hour from our perspective showed that.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Why? I actually like "recent" manager turn pundit. 

Jose basically pointed our problem. Defensive, organization, being compact and space between the line. 

He is right. That is our problem, our pressing intensity was very2 good, organization wise need work. 

I think either here or somewhere somebody pointed out that Lampard Derby problem was their space between the line was too big. I thought it was solely due to personel but it turn out not completely. 

This is crucial problem, you can forget about being a good team without being a good defensive team. 

For all the praise of attackin football that pep and klopp received, both are actually pretty defensive minded. 

1 minute ago, communicate said:

Why? I actually like "recent" manager turn pundit. 

Jose basically pointed our problem. Defensive, organization, being compact and space between the line. 

He is right. That is our problem, our pressing intensity was very2 good, organization wise need work. 

I think either here or somewhere somebody pointed out that Lampard Derby problem was their space between the line was too big. I thought it was solely due to personel but it turn out not completely. 

This is crucial problem, you can forget about being a good team without being a good defensive team. 

For all the praise of attackin football that pep and klopp received, both are actually pretty defensive minded. 

The reasons I pointed out. I'm not debating over some of the things he said regarding our defensive structure and they are serious flaws that Lampard needs to address but there's always an agenda with him.

The Luke Shaw comment really wound me up and I couldn't care less about Luke Shaw. If anything it shows just how out of tune Mourinho is with the ability to man manage this new generation of players. 

If they had got Mourinho at the end of his first Chelsea spell he would have been so energetic and witty, but now he comes across old, boring and uninspiring. And to think a month or two with Souness could make him even worse!

ulsterchelsea likes this

Perspective: we didn’t start the game with six players who will arguably be starters for us this season (Kante, Pulisic, CHO, RLC, James & Rudiger) and it was our first game under Frank.

I also think we outplayed them for the most part. Yes, we turned to absolute sh*t late in the game but we obviously went for the kill once we went down a couple and it made us vulnerable on the counter. 1-2 would’ve been a fair scoreline at half time. I have no doubt had we of scored, we would’ve been more conservative in the second half.

Lots of ifs and would’ves, I know, but that’s how it is. Lots to work on, but also some good signs moving forward. It’s a free hit this season, so lessen the expectations and enjoy the ride.

3 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Salty? Have you not watched Jose over the past few years? Its easy to perceive him as salty because he doesn't smile and says some questionable things at times. But I thought his punditry was refreshing. I appreciated the break down of the principles and tactics as far as working in blocks. Thought that was quality.

The Uncle Rafa comment was hilarious. These types of shows need a little humor in them. To me, him calling out Rafa that way is sign of respect for the manager. I don't think youll ever hear Jose explicitly praising another manager, but he clearly respected Rafa's touchline communication. 

Pundits have become more opinionated than ever because thats what they are trained to do at times. "Have an opinion and get people talking, get the fans discussing your comments". Creates more viewers and more interest in the game. 

Supermonkey92 likes this

Would be honest, the 4-0 scoreline hurts specially when it happened in that 5-10 mins time frame. But first competitive game of the season, there are positives and there are lot of learnings. As someone pointed in the earlier post, we behaved like amateurs at time which contributed to the scoreline which is bang on.

Defense is a worry, has been even in pre-season. Like to see how Lampard start addressing this. Only problem is that we play another game in the next 2 days against Liverpool and that could a similar scoreline. 

Liked the fact that Lampard was not worried to pitch youngsters in a big away game ... which tells that Lampard could be open to taking risk as per the situation. 

Fingers crossed for the next few games to see how we sort the defense. 

MetsajCFC and Johnnyeye like this

6 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The funny thing is that I can´t see him talking about Zouma. Why is that? Zouma played horribly, but Mou seems to like him...

7 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Mourinho was definitely right about our poor defensive organization and lack of coherent pressing (I seriously hope Lampard sorts this out soon, because this issue has been apparent since pre-season) but he was definitely talking BS about Lampard playing youth in the match. I mean, it's so on the brand of Mourinho to talk down youth players and not criticize experience. We had only 3 players who you would consider young or inexperience at Premier League level in the game - Mount, Abraham and Pulisic. There were still 8-9 experienced players out there, who given all their experience let the team down more by not leading the team and making stupid mistakes defensively. Would putting out an XI with all experienced players have made the difference? We have suffered bad, heavy losses with an experienced lineup - Bournemouth and Man City away last season are prime examples. It's not as if Lampard had 8 youth players out there and only 3 experienced fellas! The defeat came down to more on bad mistakes, from the experienced players no less, than Lampard playing the young players. It's so easy to criticize someone for playing the youth when results go wrong. Only have to look at what Klopp and Pochettino have done. They played them (e.g. Dele Alli, Trent Alexander Arnold) through thick and thin and are reaping the rewards right now.

Superblue_1986 and Blue Armour like this

Personally I ain't to annoyed about this result. I know it's shite to lose to them lot and especially 4 nil conjuring up bad memories of that fa cup final. But truth be told I was pretty happy with what I seen yesterday or more importantly what I think will come. We had more possession, we had more chances, we had more touches and passes. Thought mount was very good for the most part, thought Tammy did well enough, thought jorginho (who I was extremely critical of last season) played really well as did kovacic. If Tammy's effort goes in early doors I think that could have been a different game. Same with Emerson. My only complaint is zouma! I thought in pre season he looked all over the place and he continued it yesterday. Azpi looks a bit spent too unfortunately. Rudi can't come back soon enough. But can't help but feel excited, mason and Tammy yesterday, rubes, Reece James and Callum coming back! Would love to see it. Think all of them together could bring a lot energy to the team.Add to that Kante almost back and Willian nearly there too. Really can't be that disheartened.