test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

the wes

47. Billy Gilmour

Started by the wes,

154 posts in this topic
5 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

He has now been moved into the senior squad.

Not sure how I feel about that one.

On one hand happy for him but on the other hand don't want him in limbo with little matchtime across the board.

Hopefully he's in a development match whenever he isn't in the 18.

Johnnyeye likes this

Poor decision I think, should've waited until the season ending and go from there but wish him luck, and hopefully he earns his spot.

I like this, should be getting chances ahead of Barkley and giving Jorginho a rest if performing well.

Johnnyeye likes this

I am absolutely not a fan of him. He is tiny and him coming on vs Sheffield iirc cost us the game with his clumsiness and tendency to be dispossessed easily. Ordinary at best. Hopefully he proves me wrong. 

Nicco likes this

47 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I am absolutely not a fan of him. He is tiny and him coming on vs Sheffield iirc cost us the game with his clumsiness and tendency to be dispossessed easily. Ordinary at best. Hopefully he proves me wrong. 

My thoughts as well but if you say something bad about a youngster it means you're a hater and hate all youngsters by default. I think he was at fault for us losing 2 points against Sheffield if I remember right, anyways hope he breaks through.

Magic Lamps likes this

9 hours ago, Nicco said:

Poor decision I think, should've waited until the season ending and go from there but wish him luck, and hopefully he earns his spot.

What do we lose by promoting Gilmour to the first team now though? He gets to train with more established, experienced players and might well play some games here and there along the way. We can then assess to see if he perhaps needs to be loaned out next season or should be kept as part of the team next season. 

9 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

He's still very young and it was his first game for us. I'd cut him a lot of slack. If anything and I said it at that time, Lampard should be the one to be blamed for bringing him on. Should have brought on a defender instead, IMO. 

12 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Think thats harsh. Having watched him from his time at Rangers, with Scotlan and here I think he can be a really good player with some fine tuning in certain areas. PL isnt going to be easy for him just now as he had never played first team football at any other level before this season and that Sheffield game as youve said was tough for him but better players than Billy have went and struggled in matches against them so I wouldnt sweat it. Hes shown in cup games he can play well in this team and I dont think his inclusion as a first team squad member is rash or unwarranted as he has huge potential. A loan to the Championship would have maybe been better so he could get regular minutes and adjust to the physical demands of the league but technically he is very good and I think once he gets to grips with the standard in the PL through playing more youll change your mind. He is capable of playing in the deeper 2 or as a 10 so if Lamps trusts him he might have plenty opportuinities if Mason and Barkley continue to struggle. I really dont think Mason is that much ahead of Billy in terms of talent but he has more match experience and is slightly better physically due to that and being older. They are different players too but in terms of their ceilings I dont think Mason will be a much much better footballer in the long run if I am honest.

killer1257 likes this

A 18 year old making his debut as a sub for 20 minutes and you're writing him off I've never heard something so ridiculous. How the fuck can someone be called ordinary when you've seen him play for 20 minutes. Who's next for your appraisal Stamford the Lion's performance pre match ordinary, hot dog seller didn't put enough onions on ordinary. DJ's choice of songs ordinary, ball boys ordinary, you're assessment of Gilmour extraordinary !.
Don't value his opinion too much. He always talks rubbish, so I stopped paying attention to most of his Comments, especially about Youth.
We could have had 17 Year old Messi in our youth and if he had misplaced a pass in a 10 minute debut, he would have written him of either. So, no point in arguing with him.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

A 18 year old making his debut as a sub for 20 minutes and you're writing him off I've never heard something so ridiculous. 

Not to mention, Sheffield was a tougher match than we initially thought at the time.

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

Not to mention, Sheffield was a tougher match than we initially thought at the time.

Exactly. Better players than Billy have gone there and looked well out of their depth. Sheffield United are having an excellent season as well and if we, Spurs and United arent careful, could find ourselves behind them because they are very organised and seem to be able to get goals in key moments in games. Think Chris Wilder deserves the same respect, if not more than what Nuno got last season considering the fact hes kept the core of his championship first 11 in that team and hasnt spent anywhere near what Wolves did in the previous 2 or 3 seasons since they had the new owners and links with Jorge Mendes. Id go as far as saying if they finish in the top 6 or 8 Wilder would be a massive contender for manager of the year. In favt I would say if they finish where they are now he should 100% win it ahead of Klopp. 

Johnnyeye and Tomo like this

10 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

A 18 year old making his debut as a sub for 20 minutes and you're writing him off I've never heard something so ridiculous. How the fuck can someone be called ordinary when you've seen him play for 20 minutes. Who's next for your appraisal Stamford the Lion's performance pre match ordinary, hot dog seller didn't put enough onions on ordinary. DJ's choice of songs ordinary, ball boys ordinary, you're assessment of Gilmour extraordinary !.

I have seen every performance from him in the first team including pre season plus a few for Scotland u21. From that little I see nothing that excites me but i am open to having my opinion changed. Sometimes I Have a strong intuition how abplatzet will turn out and more often than not it turns out right. For Tammy I was right on the money and for Reece I still think he will go to the very top and that’s also looking fine so I guess I can venture a shot in the blue. 

9 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

I have seen every performance from him in the first team including pre season plus a few for Scotland u21. From that little I see nothing that excites me but i am open to having my opinion changed. Sometimes I Have a strong intuition how abplatzet will turn out and more often than not it turns out right. For Tammy I was right on the money and for Reece I still think he will go to the very top and that’s also looking fine so I guess I can venture a shot in the blue. 

From the time I first watched Billy's junior level youtube videos when he was rumoured to be joining from Rangers, I felt, and posted to say, that he would find a lot of good CFC youth players in his path towards first team level here. In the intervening time, I never felt I saw enough evidence to drastically revise that opinion. I really enjoyed his display against Grimsby but posted to say that it was by far the best I'd ever seen Billy play. As such, that performance was an exception not the norm, meaning that we'd need more outings of that standard before it would be wise to base judgements on it. We haven't had the chance to see those yet.

To set against that I have confidence in Frank's, and particularly Jody's, assessment of players. They like Billy a lot and that carries weight with me. Personally, I prefer Lewis Bate. His touch is smoother and more secure, his movements faster and he's more combative out of possession. In short I think he's more talented but, talent is only an indicator of success, not a guarantee of it. We need to see Lewis progressing through the levels and to judge whether he can continue to impose his talent against better players in faster games. Long way to go.

Johnnyeye and killer1257 like this

6 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

No offence son but if a German is watching the Scotland U21 team then you're spending far to much time watching football.

LOL of that I am guilty😂

7 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

No offence son but if a German is watching the Scotland U21 team then you're spending far to much time watching football.

Every game for Scotland u21s Ive seen him in live or on the tele he has been hands down our best player (which may not seem much to some folk) so I dont see how he looked ordinary to anybody.

If he were English or Spanish or French or whatever theyd be raving about him 10 times more.

I honestly think he will be just as good as Mount if not better. Mount is just ahead of him in his development because he had the 2 loan moves before playing regularly. Different players but Billy's technique and footballing intelligence is probably better as well. 

Fernando and killer1257 like this