Didier Drogba

DYC.

Before even going into the discussion on whether or not bringing him back is a good idea, I would raise an important subject the club needs to solve if we sign Drogba and that is the HG quota.

We had a discussion earlier today in the Victor Moses thread about the team's homegrown status for the season and as it stands our squad is already full with one player even missing out (Van Ginkel, Romeu, Mikel, Schwarzer, Cech or whoever, take your pick). If the plan is to still add Drogba and Tiago is coming back too like the rumours suggest, we're going to have to make room for them by offloading some of the existing non-HG players. Players like Lukaku, Zouma, Aké etc. will still be U21 so they won't matter but some of the others have to go.

Before even going into the discussion on whether or not bringing him back is a good idea, I would raise an important subject the club needs to solve if we sign Drogba and that is the HG quota.

We had a discussion earlier today in the Victor Moses thread about the team's homegrown status for the season and as it stands our squad is already full with one player even missing out (Van Ginkel, Romeu, Mikel, Schwarzer, Cech or whoever, take your pick). If the plan is to still add Drogba and Tiago is coming back too like the rumours suggest, we're going to have to make room for them by offloading some of the existing non-HG players. Players like Lukaku, Zouma, Aké etc. will still be U21 so they won't matter but some of the others have to go.

I'm sure those in charge know what they're doing. Not worried about that at all.

Mixed feelings, to be honest. On one hand, I'd be happy to see him in our shirt again, but on the other... you can't cross the same river twice and all that. We need to move forward instead of going back. He left at the right time, in the best possible way.

I'm sure those in charge know what they're doing. Not worried about that at all.

Of course, I fully trust them to do what needs to be done but what I meant was that we can start speculating on who will be left out. We have a very balanced squad at the moment and there's not many players in there we could afford to lose without it affecting the strength of the team, maybe one of the three non-HG keepers, Mikel, one of Romeu / Van Ginkel and dare I say Torres. Personally I would be delighted if the club pulled the trigger on the ladyboy and left him out of the squad but that's not very likely unless we somehow miraculously managed to sell or loan him.

There are so many CONS to this deal that its not funny. Firstly, DD the player would barely be half as good as he was in his prime. His fitness itself seemed so poor in the WC. secondly, the HG quota. We already have costa, torres, hazard, oscar, salah, schurrle, willian, rambo, matic, azpi, luis, iva, 2 or 3 of cech/courtois/mark, plus 2 of mvg/romeu/tiago/mikel. Which almost fills up the quota of the non-Hg players. Thirdly and most importantly, I feel that no way does Jose go into the season with 4 strikers (costa, lukaku, DD, torres). For a team that lives and breathes on midfielders and plays with one striker for 95% of the time, having 4 strikers is more than OVERKILL. which means either lukaku or torres goes off. And since torres is unsellable, this leaves massive question marks on lukaku.

On the pro side - DIDIER FUCKING DROGBA is coming BACK!!!! BACK TO BRIDGE!!!! THE BLOODY LEGEND!!!! I just can't stop singing DIDIER DrogbA LALALALALA.... DIDIER DROGBA LALALALALA..

Yes for asistant manager, no for player. I love Drogba but he is not the player he was anymore and I dont see point of his arrival if he will be used as player. Big games demand pressure, he doesnt have energy anymore. Small games should be given chance to Lukaku.

And Drogba is now realy slow, our game must be faster paced and he wont improve that. I would rather get Bony for that 2nd/3rd spot striker.

Didi is legend, but squad wise, this seems like step back.we should be focused long term. Only good thing I see from this move is Drogba making Lukaku better player (if).