Smartphone world (Android, iOS)

Caeruleus

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I just got the s9 on December. Good phone but like apple, Samsung are now just pumping out new phones willy nilly.

The S10 Plus 1 TB is insane

12 GB RAM and a TB internal storage, upgradeable to 1.5 TB, ceramic optional body

DISPLAY    Type    Dynamic AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size    6.4 inches, 102.2 cm2 (~87.5% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution    1440 x 3040 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~526 ppi density)
Protection    Corning Gorilla Glass 6
     - HDR10
- Always-on display
PLATFORM    OS    Android 9.0 (Pie); One UI
Chipset    Exynos 9820 Octa (8 nm) - EMEA
Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm) - USA/LATAM, China
CPU    Octa-core (2x2.7 GHz Mongoose M4 & 2x2.3 GHz Cortex-A75 & 4x1.9 GHz Cortex-A55) - EMEA
Octa-core (1x2.8 GHz Kryo 485 & 3x2.4 GHz Kryo 485 & 4x1.7 GHz Kryo 485) - USA/LATAM, China
GPU    Mali-G76 MP12 - EMEA
Adreno 640 - USA/LATAM, China
MEMORY    Card slot    microSD, up to 512 GB (uses SIM 2 slot) - dual SIM model only
Internal    1 TB, 12 GB RAM
MAIN CAMERA    Triple    12 MP, f/1.5-2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55", 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.6", 1.0µm, AF, OIS, 2x optical zoom
16 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide)
Features    LED flash, auto-HDR, panorama
Video    2160p@60fps, 1080p@240fps, 720p@960fps, HDR, dual-video rec.
SELFIE CAMERA    Dual    10 MP, f/1.9, Dual Pixel PDAF
8 MP, f/2.2, depth sensor
Features    Dual video call, Auto-HDR
Video    2160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps

Fuck me,

Up until a few months back I've used a PAYG Nokia 8210!

All I ever needed was to make calls.

A mate took the piss out of me so much for years and in the end gave me his Samsung S5 when he upgraded

I cant see a time I will need to use it online or WiFi or even Emails.

I'm a firm believer if I want to contact someone I phone them for a chat

Looking at how mobiles have progressed since my first briefcase sized one i and the first PC I worked on which was the 512k and the size of my flat it will be interesting to see what they will be like in 20 years time.

Ram capacity and processors are far too good for everyday stuff people do on current phones with few exceptions like video processing or some heavy games that actualy require full power of a phone. Even then most phones dont have adequate cooling system which makes phones overheat and start to throttle. 

All this ram and processors would be useful if phone developers actualy gave software updates for longer than two years, but they conveniently dont (if you just bought S10 with Android 9(pie) , you will be able to upgrade to Android 10 and 11 for next two years, but then they will stop upgrading). Despite the fact that these phones are more than capable running software that will be released after 3 or 4 years.

If you want long term reliable phones to do the basics (web browsing, camera, youtube, calling, messages etc) then go for Iphone. But then again, they cost shit ton, have completely outdated software compared to android and they milk you even more for stuff like airbuds or fast charger which is ridiculous. 

Watched few videos on YT and read view articles and for the moment Samsung pushed some technological boundaries with those new lineup of flagship phones. Best screen you can get in a smartphone which is AMOLED HDR10+, they did great job with that punch whole as to me personally every phone with notch is a big no no. 5 cameras overall with dual-camera at the front (it was rated by DXOMARK as the best selfie camera out there) and triple camera at the back : ultra-wide-angle lens, standard lens and telephoto lens. In screen sensor fingerprint which use ultrasonic technology meaning you don't have to lit up the screen in order to use it like in other phones that have same feature. The headphone jack is back which is something lots of people wanted and it's a good thing that Samsung actually listened this time and not blindly followed a trend Apple started while ago. Massive storage and plenty of RAM comes handy too. I don't know how I could fill up 1TB on the smartphone and not the mention the option of MicroSD card slot!!

Lots of people are falling in love with the cheapest model of S10 series which is S10e. You still getting that gorgeous AMOLED screen but it's flat screen and not edge to edge like S10 and S10+. Also it got only one front facing camera and dual camera at the back with ultra-wide-angle lens and standard lens. Of all 3 S10 series phone this one apparently feel the best in hand and as lots of Youtubers stated they expect this phone to sell really nicely. It was released as competitor for iPhone XR and with the all the features and spec you getting for price it's definitely a great value for money.

If you preorder any of the new flagships now you gonna get Samsung Galaxy Buds for free. I've seen review of this earbuds from two Youtubers EverythingApplePro and Flossy Carter and in both reviews Galaxy Buds came on top when they were compared to Air Pods.

As one of the Youtubers put it the new S10 series feels like Apple for the first time got some catching up to do. I've read Apple subreddit on Reddit and Apple fans now demanding from Apple to deliver in September and they hope they won't gonna be ripped of this time. What Samsung presented technology wise for that price tag put some things into perspective for Apple fans. If you're not tide to Apple eco-system it's no brainer to go for Samsung phone and when you take for consideration a fact that Android phones tend to not hold the value as iPhones over time you can wait a bit for Samsung phones will drop in price and the value for money you will be getting will be even better. Apparently we're coming to the point when people don't look forward to change the mobile phones every year because 1. price tag on the mobile phones these day IS TOO DAMN HIGH!! 2. Mobile phones are good enough to keep them for longer period of time. Things like cameras are good enough already and for the most people it doesn't make any difference if the camera got 12MP or 16MP. The picture quality on the modern smartphones is good enough for majority of the people.

Looking forward to Apple Event in September as I'm really curious how they gonna respond to Samsung new flagship series of phones. No doubt the bar has been raised. 

• 1 year later...