test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

nachikethas

22. Christian Pulisic

Started by nachikethas,

1,202 posts in this topic
5 hours ago, communicate said:

When I talk about role, I am talking about their best trait. If he can do it all, then there is no point talking specific role about. Take for example under previous manager. We always setup to get the best out of Hazard, an almost complete player who pretty much can do everything well. He can play with a targetman,  ask him to feed striker no problem, ask him to pick up the ball deep or ask him to score no problem. 

Yes but on the other hand, look at the defensive headaches he caused under those previous managers. Some even had to play him in the 'False 9' role just to make sure we were more solid defensively and that he's still in the XI.

5 hours ago, communicate said:

Right now we have been talking about getting the best out of pulisic. You said there is no role, just that he is a RW. So he will have to do everything. When he drop back he struggle. Why do you want him to do this more, maybe it is better to ask him to play higher and make run behind more and drop back less. But on the other side we have Mason Mount who is fantastic at making off the ball run behind striker and good finisher, so maybe we should ask Mount to run behind more. So you have two wing who you want to run behind more, so you need your striker to drop more and good at playing deeper like Giroud or in pool case Firmino. 

By that thinking, every attacking player should just stay forward and not drop back when have to defend. My point is, when we have the ball, sure let the attacking players shine but when we don't have the ball and have to defend, the players are expected to do their defensive work (arguably only 2 players in the world have a free role in the team) - be it dropping back or pressing high up the field. Just look at the last game, CHO/Pulisic were dropping back when we had to and were still able to make an impact in the attacking third when we got forward. And yet, you seem to be insisting that if Player A does this, then he can't do that etc.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/players/christian-pulisic-chelsea-loan-lampard-17110530

When asked if Pulisic could be loaned out in January when the transfer window opens again, Lampard flat-batted it with a simple: “No.”

“With Christian he’s come to us in a big move, let’s make no mistake about it, and then he’s just turned 21 recently, and we’ve got a competitive squad here,” Lampard said.

“I said it before the last game, I always have a problem who to pick and people make my decisions in training or how they’re playing, and at the minute with winning four on the bounce I need the edge of staying in the team and keep performing and everyone is the same.

“With Christian coming here, we have to protect him for that fact because he’s young.

“Christian, as with every player in the squad, needs to work hard in training, keep improving in training, see the direction we’re going, be a part of it, and show what you can do on a match day, and all the players are the same there.

“It is [easy to forget his age]. You can look beyond that because he came through at a very young age at Dortmund and huge credit to him for that. It’s amazing to come through that. He was playing at a top level team at Dortmund.

“There were times when he was in the team, times when he wasn’t, that’s part of development. I was fortunate when I came through in my day because West Ham didn’t have too many players in front of me, so I got opportunities. The pathway was open.

“With Christian, huge credit to him for coming through at Dortmund at a young age, but then it brings other difficulties where sometimes you’re out of the team.

“You come to Chelsea and it’s a similar situation. The demands are huge. The interest from outside is huge and he’s a young boy. I have no problem. I see the big picture with Christian and I see it with all the young players.”

Pulisic started the season in the first XI, with the early-season injuries to Hudson-Odoi, Willian and Pedro meaning that he got a good run in the side.

However, that game time has dramatically tailed off for the winger, and has taken up a less important role within the squad.

And Lampard admits that he does feel some sympathy for Pulisic and his fight to get into his starting team.

"I’m sympathetic to every one of my players. Every game, every selection, I want a group that’s going to be successful over a period of time,” Lampard added.

“To analyse over one game or three games or five games or ten games is difficult for me because sometimes the team will do the talking on the pitch, like they’re doing at the moment. I’m sympathetic to all of them.

“They’re not easy decisions I have to make every Friday, every Saturday, as the week comes to an end. I’m always thinking of the bigger picture and that’s all the players, not focusing on anyone individually.

“I’m sympathetic, yes. Some players will make you feel you need to be a bit tougher, some the opposite, you put your arm round them. I want the best for all of them and then I have to pick my team as I see it.”

ZAPHOD2319 and Vesper like this

Another sub appearance, another promising performance. Should have scored as well but overall, it should help boost his confidence. 

Another sub appearance, another promising performance. Should have scored as well but overall, it should help boost his confidence. 
Supersub pretty much will be his best role right now.

Just now, communicate said:
3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Supersub pretty much will be his best role right now.

Keep this up and he'll certainly force Lampard's hands. 

OhForAGreavsie likes this

Keep this up and he'll certainly force Lampard's hands. 
Over CHO? Highly unlikely.
As no 10, we have a bit of midfield problem so maybe not.
Right winger over Willian, as out n out winger he will struggle right now.

Over CHO? Highly unlikely.
As no 10, we have a bit of midfield problem so maybe not.
Right winger over Willian, as out n out winger he will struggle right now.

For starters, Lampard has talked about merit. So if somebody's form tails off, then one would expect Lampard to look at alternatives in the squad. And furthermore, one would expect Pulisic to get better with time. So, who's to say he won't nail down a starting XI spot sometime soon or sometime down the line?

For starters, Lampard has talked about merit. So if somebody's form tails off, then one would expect Lampard to look at alternatives in the squad. And furthermore, one would expect Pulisic to get better with time. So, who's to say he won't nail down a starting XI spot sometime soon or sometime down the line?
Pulisic problem right now is pretty simple. He is just too weak. I am not an expert on strength training, but I highly doubt he can suddenly get stronger in a couple months.

For me right now at least he has shown that he can produce. So if CHO need a break, he will play Puli there instead of playing Mount as lw.

Pulisic problem right now is pretty simple. He is just too weak. I am not an expert on strength training, but I highly doubt he can suddenly get stronger in a couple months.

For me right now at least he has shown that he can produce. So if CHO need a break, he will play Puli there instead of playing Mount as lw.

STOP QUOTING ME ON PULISIC! :rant:

communicate likes this

9 minutes ago, communicate said:

he could increase his core strength a lot and learn how to use his body better at least

he could increase his core strength a lot and learn how to use his body better at least
That is good to know.

Not sure about your 2nd point. You can tell even when when he was shielding the ball with his body, he can be pushed around quite easily.

10 minutes ago, lucio said:

Lampard recently hired a Strength and Conditioning coach. IIRC, Sarri didn't bother with the gym work stuff last season.

lucio and communicate like this

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Lampard recently hired a Strength and Conditioning coach. IIRC, Sarri didn't bother with the gym work stuff last season.

That is a good thing, but more than strength and conditioning, Puli needs to learn how to use his body. Around 84th min of the newcastle game, he was played a ball down the wing, which lascelles, just so easily went through him and retrieved the ball. There are players in our current squad itself who can teach him that, players like willian who literally ride a challenge and a tackle. 

4 hours ago, 1905didierblue said:

That is a good thing, but more than strength and conditioning, Puli needs to learn how to use his body. Around 84th min of the newcastle game, he was played a ball down the wing, which lascelles, just so easily went through him and retrieved the ball. There are players in our current squad itself who can teach him that, players like willian who literally ride a challenge and a tackle. 

Agree with the general point but players can lose the ball, sometimes easily. There were other instances yesterday where Pulisic dribbled past challenges without turnovers, among other positives. 

Bosnian Blue likes this

https://www.espn.com/soccer/chelsea/story/3968465/chelseas-christian-pulisic-confident-scoring-touch-will-return

"It was a really good game, happy for the team, had a strong performance, they defended really well, and I was happy to make an impact," Pulisic told ESPN after the match.

It was a solid performance for Pulisic, who is still searching for his first goal with Chelsea since his $73 million summer move from Borussia Dortmund. He scored 13 goals during his three-year stint with the German club, along with 14 goals on international duty.

"I was going to shoot last-second, but I saw Tammy wide open and then DeAndre made an unbelievable block, so maybe I should have shot it," Pulisic told ESPN on the scoring chance. "I just don't have that scoring touch but I know it will come back."

"[Lampard] told me to do exactly what I'm doing now, continue to train hard, when i get my opportunity I have to take it," Pulisic said.

Much better then Willian. 

I assume that after Pulisic gets adjusted to the epl like Jorgi he will easily take over Willian spot. 

NikkiCFC likes this

21 minutes ago, Fernando said:

I assume that after Pulisic gets adjusted to the epl like Jorgi he will easily take over Willian spot. 

No doubt about that. Especially considering Willian good form never lasts for more than a couple weeks. 

32 minutes ago, Fernando said:

More like Mount's place if he doesn't improve. Sancho will take Willian's spot next season.