test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Fulham Broadway

Last Film You Watched

Started by Fulham Broadway,

1,956 posts in this topic
On 2/8/2020 at 6:10 PM, Vesper said:

Oscar for sure for Joaquin Phoenix

finally got around to watching it

superb

Renée Zellweger will win best actress for Judy

Parasite should win best film, if it is a fair world

but 1917 may get it

i really hope Phoenix gets it, he's a very good actor, ever since i watched his performance in Gladiator, i tought he could get an oscar someday. still need to watch 1917, Judy, Uncut Gems, Parasite, Ford vs Ferrari, etc.

Atomiswave likes this

2 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Half an hour I lasted I thought it was dreadful like a big budget version of Murder She Wrote. Daniel Craig's appalling American accent and a woman who pukes up when she's lying !! I turned it off at that point. Talking of terrible accents have you seen Good Omens ? David Tennant a Scotsman plays an Englishman and Michael McKean an American plays a Scotsman. Surely David Tennant must have said that's a terrible Scottish accent why didn't you just hire a Scottish actor ?

I think Michael McKean does the voice of Groundskeeper Willie on The Simpsons and I'm pretty sure that producers believe Americans wouldn't understand an authentic Scottish accent so they just do the och aye Jimmy one. It's the same with Cockney accents there's been some dreadful ones on TV and film over the years geezer in Green Street was hilariously bad.

I must admit I thought Daniel Craigs accent made his character slightly more funny, although I can see why some people may have disliked that and Ana de Armas' character throwing up when she lies thing. 

Not seen Good Omens but I think I seen the trailer for it on Amazon Prime. You'd think it would be easier just to have a Scots actor play a Scotsman but as youve said they probably want to fine tune it so it is more understandable for other nationalities outside of the UK who wouldnt understand a full blown authentic Glaswegian or whatever Scottish accent haha. 

Even Tom Hardy in Mad Max and Venom, his interpretation of whatever the fuck those accents are meant to be were slightly disappointing and took away from the movies ever so slightly despite his acting being good. And hes playing Al Capone in Fonzo so his accent will either be horrific or brilliant.

Iggy Doonican likes this

35 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I must admit I thought Daniel Craigs accent made his character slightly more funny, although I can see why some people may have disliked that and Ana de Armas' character throwing up when she lies thing. 

Not seen Good Omens but I think I seen the trailer for it on Amazon Prime. You'd think it would be easier just to have a Scots actor play a Scotsman but as youve said they probably want to fine tune it so it is more understandable for other nationalities outside of the UK who wouldnt understand a full blown authentic Glaswegian or whatever Scottish accent haha. 

Even Tom Hardy in Mad Max and Venom, his interpretation of whatever the fuck those accents are meant to be were slightly disappointing and took away from the movies ever so slightly despite his acting being good. And hes playing Al Capone in Fonzo so his accent will either be horrific or brilliant.

OneMoSalah likes this

On 07/02/2020 at 10:10 AM, 11Drogba said:

This is awesome. Don't avoid it because of Adam Sandler, he is great in this.

Oooooooh need to see. I liked him in Wedding Singer. When he has decent scripts it works!

Johnnyeye and Vesper like this

11 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

i really hope Phoenix gets it

Oh, he will definitely get it. 

BEST PICTURE - 1917

BEST DIRECTOR - SAM MENDES 

BEST ACTOR - JOAQUIN PHOENIX 

BEST ACTRESS - RENEE ZELLWEGER 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - BRAD PITT

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - LAURA DERN

Johnnyeye likes this

4 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

BEST PICTURE - 1917

you got all winning actors correct, but Parasite was the real winner tonight, unreal.

Atomiswave likes this

4 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

BEST PICTURE - 1917

Wow, I'm so glad I was wrong for the best picture and the best director! Parasite won all! Like I said before best movie of the year but didn't expect this from Academy! Nice surprise :lol:

Johnnyeye likes this

Just watched this movie for obvious reasons. Didn't watch it before. Incredible how much resemblances it has with everything that is going on now with Coronavirus. 

Fernando likes this

Dvd of The Postman Always Rings Twice. Classic film noir starring Lana Turner, who was sex on a stick at that time! 

Vesper likes this

9 hours ago, chippy said:

Dvd of The Postman Always Rings Twice. Classic film noir starring Lana Turner, who was sex on a stick at that time! 

Image result for Lana Turner gif

On 23/03/2020 at 9:06 AM, Vesper said:

Image result for Lana Turner gif

You know she's trouble from the moment you set eyes on her.

But worth it tho😀

Great chemistry between Lana and John Garfield.

Lana had a very colourful, but quite tragic life. One of those where they say "they don't make em like that anymore."

2 hours ago, chippy said:

You know she's trouble from the moment you set eyes on her.

But worth it tho😀

Great chemistry between Lana and John Garfield.

Lana had a very colourful, but quite tragic life. One of those where they say "they don't make em like that anymore."

Garfield was ruined via the red scares in the US as he was blacklisted, he died at only 39 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Garfield#The_Red_Scare.

Long involved in liberal politics, Garfield was caught up in the communist scare of the late 1940s and early 1950s. He supported the Committee for the First Amendment, which opposed governmental investigation of Communist activity in Hollywood. When called to testify, in 1951, before the House Committee on Un-American Activities, which was empowered to investigate communist infiltration in America, Garfield refused to name communist party members or followers, testifying that, indeed, he knew none in the film industry. Garfield rejected communism, and just prior to his death in hopes of redeeming himself in the eyes of the blacklisters, wrote that he had been duped by communist ideology in an unpublished article called "I Was a Sucker for a Left Hook", a reference to Garfield's movies about boxing.[10] However, his forced testimony before the committee had severely damaged his reputation. He was blacklisted in Red Channels, and barred from future employment as an actor by Hollywood movie studio bosses for the remainder of his career.[2]

With film work scarce because of the blacklist, Garfield returned to Broadway and starred in a 1952 revival of Golden Boy, finally being cast in the lead role denied him years before.

On May 9, 1952, Garfield moved out of his New York apartment for the last time, indicating to friends that the separation from his wife Roberta was not temporary. He confided to columnist Earl Wilson that he would soon be divorced. Close friends speculated that it was his wife's opposition to his planned confession in Look magazine that triggered the separation. He heard that a HUAC investigator was reviewing his testimony for possible perjury charges. His agent reported that 20th Century-Fox wanted him for a film called Taxi, but would not even begin talks unless the investigation concluded in his favor. Three actor friends, Canada Lee, Mady Christians and J. Edward Bromberg, had all recently died after being listed by the committee.[5]

In the morning of May 20, Garfield, against his doctor's strict orders, played several strenuous sets of tennis with a friend, mentioning the fact that he had not been to bed the night before. He met actress Iris Whitney for dinner, and afterward became suddenly ill complaining that he felt chilled. She took him to her apartment, where he refused to let her call a doctor and instead went to bed. The next morning, she found him dead. Long-term heart problems, allegedly aggravated by the stress of his blacklisting, had led to his death at the age of 39.[11]

The funeral was the largest in New York since Rudolph Valentino's, with over ten thousand persons crowding the streets outside.[12] The media circus surrounding Garfield's death led to a running joke, "John Garfield Still Dead Syndrome," that parodied the phenomenon; it would later be superseded by "Francisco Franco is still dead" in the 1970s after Franco's protracted terminal illness.[13] Garfield's estate, valued at "more than $100,000," was left entirely to his wife. Shortly afterward, the HUAC closed its investigation of John Garfield, leaving him in the clear.[citation needed] Garfield was interred at Westchester Hills Cemetery in Hastings-on-Hudson, Westchester County, New York.

45 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Garfield was ruined via the red scares in the US as he was blacklisted, he died at only 39 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Garfield#The_Red_Scare.

Long involved in liberal politics, Garfield was caught up in the communist scare of the late 1940s and early 1950s. He supported the Committee for the First Amendment, which opposed governmental investigation of Communist activity in Hollywood. When called to testify, in 1951, before the House Committee on Un-American Activities, which was empowered to investigate communist infiltration in America, Garfield refused to name communist party members or followers, testifying that, indeed, he knew none in the film industry. Garfield rejected communism, and just prior to his death in hopes of redeeming himself in the eyes of the blacklisters, wrote that he had been duped by communist ideology in an unpublished article called "I Was a Sucker for a Left Hook", a reference to Garfield's movies about boxing.[10] However, his forced testimony before the committee had severely damaged his reputation. He was blacklisted in Red Channels, and barred from future employment as an actor by Hollywood movie studio bosses for the remainder of his career.[2]

With film work scarce because of the blacklist, Garfield returned to Broadway and starred in a 1952 revival of Golden Boy, finally being cast in the lead role denied him years before.

On May 9, 1952, Garfield moved out of his New York apartment for the last time, indicating to friends that the separation from his wife Roberta was not temporary. He confided to columnist Earl Wilson that he would soon be divorced. Close friends speculated that it was his wife's opposition to his planned confession in Look magazine that triggered the separation. He heard that a HUAC investigator was reviewing his testimony for possible perjury charges. His agent reported that 20th Century-Fox wanted him for a film called Taxi, but would not even begin talks unless the investigation concluded in his favor. Three actor friends, Canada Lee, Mady Christians and J. Edward Bromberg, had all recently died after being listed by the committee.[5]

In the morning of May 20, Garfield, against his doctor's strict orders, played several strenuous sets of tennis with a friend, mentioning the fact that he had not been to bed the night before. He met actress Iris Whitney for dinner, and afterward became suddenly ill complaining that he felt chilled. She took him to her apartment, where he refused to let her call a doctor and instead went to bed. The next morning, she found him dead. Long-term heart problems, allegedly aggravated by the stress of his blacklisting, had led to his death at the age of 39.[11]

The funeral was the largest in New York since Rudolph Valentino's, with over ten thousand persons crowding the streets outside.[12] The media circus surrounding Garfield's death led to a running joke, "John Garfield Still Dead Syndrome," that parodied the phenomenon; it would later be superseded by "Francisco Franco is still dead" in the 1970s after Franco's protracted terminal illness.[13] Garfield's estate, valued at "more than $100,000," was left entirely to his wife. Shortly afterward, the HUAC closed its investigation of John Garfield, leaving him in the clear.[citation needed] Garfield was interred at Westchester Hills Cemetery in Hastings-on-Hudson, Westchester County, New York.

Thanks for that.

Really sad what happened to him.

I know Lana was a lifelong Dem but never caught up in witchhunt.

Vesper likes this

On 3/22/2020 at 2:32 AM, NikkiCFC said:

Just watched this movie for obvious reasons. Didn't watch it before. Incredible how much resemblances it has with everything that is going on now with Coronavirus. 

Yeah I saw that before and I re watch it recently when this virus hit. 

There's another movie about virus but it's from south Korea, worth a look:

I'm also gonna watch this new one that comes out tomorrow online, looks interesting:

NikkiCFC likes this