24. Reece James

the wes

Zappacosta has to go if it means this guy gets his chance next season. I was of the opinion he needed a PL loan but Ive seen him a few times now since then and he really looks like he could make a smoother transition than I first expected. Physically hes at a decent level. Technically too. Hopefully Sarri sees him in pre season and includes him in the squad next season.

41 minutes ago, Stats said:

Watching the Leeds and Wigan and once again have to say, what a performance! Been watching the whole game. Relegation threatened Wigan with 10 men have beaten promotion chasing Leeds on their own patch and he has been the standout player along with Gavin Massey. Surely James will be given MOTM. Been outstanding and the commentator cannot stop running with compliments for the player. What a player we have on our books. Bossed the game :clap:

But we want him for RB position, right? He played CM again?

14 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

But we want him for RB position, right? He played CM again?

Ideally yes, but it is a good thing. Look at Maitland-Niles for Arsenal. He has featured for them at both full back positions as well as playing CM. Interesting though. I mean if he plays with top class players regularly, he will improve more so hopefully he is given a chance next season. He done an epic run earlier today. Would love for someone to post it in here.

On 4/15/2019 at 0:23 AM, OneMoSalah said:

Zappacosta has to go if it means this guy gets his chance next season. I was of the opinion he needed a PL loan but Ive seen him a few times now since then and he really looks like he could make a smoother transition than I first expected. Physically hes at a decent level. Technically too. Hopefully Sarri sees him in pre season and includes him in the squad next season.

Phisicaly he is absolutely ready. So many youngsters we had couldnt cope with PL because they were not strong enough. Tammy, Musonda etc

I am fully convinced James will make it if he keeps his head down and work. And obviously if we give him enough play time and as soon as possible. Azpi has declined big time, it would be smooth transition indeed.

13 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Our dominent youth sides in recent years have featured some really good prospects at full back and centreback. Lads who were outstanding at that level, and who are now doing well themselves out on loan or on permanent transfer. Whenever the development managers decided to play Reece at fullback others had to make way because, as good as they are, Reece is better. That was unless the bosses chose to use Reece at centrback, because then it was the turn of the very good CB prospects to make way for a better player.

Another comment from Latics Speyk:-

"Thought Cook got the Olsen sub spot on, most managers would have taken a forward off right away but by biding his time and putting Superman [He's referring to Reece] back to centre back it allowed us to keep Gavin on and bingo!! He then brought Olsen on when we were under the cosh and moved Reece back [To CM] to shore up midfield. The lad will go in goal if Walton gets hurt. The fans should really chant "WHERE ON THE MARCH WITH REECE'S ARMY is there nothing this lad cant do, I cant tell you how much I will miss him" - ZAKKY

I am so excited to have Reece on the first team next year!

By FAR the best thing that will probably happen. I hope Tammy comes good too. Those 2 could solve 2 massive issues we have atm.

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

As long ago as October 2011 I predicted that Romelu Lukaku's attributes would make him able to contribute to a team, but that the manager of any top club who employed him would soon be on the look out for an upgrade because of Rom's technical limitations. The first time I saw Tammy play for the 18s he was used wide right to accomadate Dom Solanke, who was preferred at CF. Tammy did well with his long strides, pace & power but I placed him in a similar category to Rom. A good lad with desireable attributes but lacking the finesse to match the requirements of top clubs. Tammy could be a squad member for us, a replacement Giroud, but I suspect that role wouldn't satisfy him at this stage of his career.

I'd also take Rom as a backup by the way, but he'd cost too much, and need to be paid way, way too much to give value for money in that role. For our starter I want a player with elite talents. Easily said, but not so easily achieved I agree.

Despite the nice amount of cash we earned from sales, one of biggest mistakes (beside obvious Kdb, Salah etc) was that we couldnt keep other few players because they wanted to leave.

Lukaku, Mata, Sturridge,...have all proven they CAN add value to their new team. They left because we didnt give them a chance, but if you look their paths they eventualy got benched by another big club. 

If we handled things differently, we could have realy good bench nowdays, or at the very least we wouldnt need to buy all those backups like Remy, Giroud, Batshuayi, Drinkwater and bunch of others through the years. 

I guess the main reason they left was how we treated them and not just the fact we didnt play them. Because they dont play regulary elsewhere and they dont try to leave like they did here. Essentialy we shown them they have no place here and thats why they left. Partly they were also stupid not to wait a bit longer, but considering there were so many examples over the past years, it couldnt be just that. The club gave them false promises, didnt have faith etc and they saw it. 

You have plenty of quality players elsewhere that have limited roles, but arent forcing move away. Because they know competition is real there. If they play well, they will play more. Here we kept favouring certain players over others, regardless of the form. 

4 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Despite the nice amount of cash we earned from sales, one of biggest mistakes (beside obvious Kdb, Salah etc) was that we couldnt keep other few players because they wanted to leave.

Lukaku, Mata, Sturridge,...have all proven they CAN add value to their new team. They left because we didnt give them a chance, but if you look their paths they eventualy got benched by another big club. 

If we handled things differently, we could have realy good bench nowdays, or at the very least we wouldnt need to buy all those backups like Remy, Giroud, Batshuayi, Drinkwater and bunch of others through the years. 

I guess the main reason they left was how we treated them and not just the fact we didnt play them. Because they dont play regulary elsewhere and they dont try to leave like they did here. Essentialy we shown them they have no place here and thats why they left. Partly they were also stupid not to wait a bit longer, but considering there were so many examples over the past years, it couldnt be just that. The club gave them false promises, didnt have faith etc and they saw it. 

You have plenty of quality players elsewhere that have limited roles, but arent forcing move away. Because they know competition is real there. If they play well, they will play more. Here we kept favouring certain players over others, regardless of the form. 

Such a brilliant post.

32 minutes ago, bigbluewillie said:

Chelsea have rejected a £10m bid from Brighton for England Under-20 defender Reece James, 19, who has also been linked with Crystal Palace. (Sun)

we need to keep Reece here at all costs.

16 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

As long ago as October 2011 I predicted that Romelu Lukaku's attributes would make him able to contribute to a team, but that the manager of any top club who employed him would soon be on the look out for an upgrade because of Rom's technical limitations. The first time I saw Tammy play for the 18s he was used wide right to accomadate Dom Solanke, who was preferred at CF. Tammy did well with his long strides, pace & power but I placed him in a similar category to Rom. A good lad with desireable attributes but lacking the finesse to match the requirements of top clubs. Tammy could be a squad member for us, a replacement Giroud, but I suspect that role wouldn't satisfy him at this stage of his career.

I'd also take Rom as a backup by the way, but he'd cost too much, and need to be paid way, way too much to give value for money in that role. For our starter I want a player with elite talents. Easily said, but not so easily achieved I agree.

And Rom criticized AVB for wanting him to play RW to improve his technical attributes and now look at him, as we say in Scotland, has a first touch like a rapist.

I think Reece will be in the squad next year, possibly as an Azpi and Kante back up. Has huge potential in both roles.

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

And Rom criticized AVB for wanting him to play RW to improve his technical attributes and now look at him, as we say in Scotland, has a first touch like a rapist.

I think Reece will be in the squad next year, possibly as an Azpi and Kante back up. Has huge potential in both roles.

If he plays as a BU for Azpi and Kante, he will get 10 matches under Sarri, who does not like to rotate his players. It would be way better to loan him out to a PL team, who really need a RB.