test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the wes

24. Reece James

Started by the wes,

268 posts in this topic
45 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

But IN GENERAL of course players are going to get slower etc as they get older. You have named a handful out of hundreds.

Of course in this modern day with physios training and using cockrell crests and goats blood players can stay fit and healthy but even our ow Butchers dog Pedro is slowing down.

We have a group of players all becoming in need of replacement. And we dont seem to plan ahead and have one waiting in the wings pushing them to take their place.

I think we should be bringing Reece into the squad next season to start his training after a good loan (unless a German loan) and to help with the HG numbers.

I am always very specific in the only three positions I pull this out about

Fullback, AMF (which I didnt bring up above) and DMF

As those are the ones that the stats show are truly land of the young in terms of top level play.

AMF, WC over 30yo

TWO

David Silva

Dimitri Payet

thats it

secondary striker is too small and nebulous for it to be fair

but, unless you count Mario Mandžukić

there is ONE over 27

Thomas Müller

Unionjack likes this

Having played there off the bench against Blackburn last month, Reece James made his first start in central midfield for Wigan, ahead of natural midfielders like Darron Gibson and Beni Baningime. Needless to say, Reece was excellent yet again and bar an early hiccup, saw the game through effortlessly. The successor to ‘Eleven Azpilicuetas’, eh?

These words from Paul Cook say it all, really. Fingers crossed, a strong remaining three months and then the Premier League beckons for Reece, one way or the other. Chelsea will surely be looking to send him on a top-level loan, if not retain him for the first-team but Brighton and Crystal Palace are reported to have been watching him.

1 hour ago, mccg said:

Jody Morris names the 'Loan Army' member he believes can play for Chelsea's first team

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/players/chelsea-loanees-reece-james-morris-15799602

I fully expect him to start more than a few games for us next year.

mccg and OhForAGreavsie like this

1 hour ago, ja1 said:

New Reece compilation 

He better be our starting RB next year unless we buy an Azpi upgrade.

Unionjack likes this

If he was brought back and utilised correctly next season it would benefit us all round.

Bringing him as a genuine rotation option with Azpi next season will give him games and opportunities to establish himself within the first team. In doing so, it will also give Azpi the chance to be rested far more often than he is now. Having him fresher and also pressurised for his spot in the team I would expect to get a better level out of Azpi too.

If he establishes himself, we have a homegrown boy ready to take that spot for the next 10 years or more. From what I've seen of him too, he also has the makings of being a possible future captain in a few years time too.

Azpi would still be good to retain in my opinion, even if Reece claimed first choice spot at RB. Azpi can play across the whole backline and offers experience and has always been a model professional. When he's fresh and playing well too, there are few better and more reliable defensively than him in the league.

!Hazard!, Mufassir08 and Vesper like this

I’m in two minds on whether we should keep him or try one more loan. In an ideal world of course I want us to recall him, replace Zappa and rotate/compete with Azpi. However realistically especially if Sarri stays (I think he will), we know he doesn’t rotate and that it is particularly hard to earn his trust especially as a young, inexperienced ‘newbie’ player. 

The reason i contemplate another loan (top 5 league, ideally PL, for reasons coming) is not because I think he needs it for his development. In fact he’s the perfect type of player who we *should* be able to recall and trust as a squad player. He is talented but unlike a few of our other younger players, or indeed young players in general, he is dependable, consistent, trustworthy. As an example I think both he and Aina have good talent, and high potential. But James is much less raw and more likely to reach his potential.

But I feel because of this dependability he would also do well at any top league club, would start most games, and have another good season. If he had that top level, 30+ appearances season under his belt then there is no excuse for whoever is in charge to not use him when he comes back.. if that makes sense.

a Reece James at top potential is great for Sarri’s system but also good for any system in general. As he is capable of being a defensive RB, a two-way RB, or a buccaneering overlapping RB (or RWB). 

Bosnian Blue likes this

Of course the answer has been blatantly obvious for at least a couple of years now but, even so, we've all enjoyed asking whether Reece is good enough for Chelsea. As I say, the answer is completely obvious but, many more displays like Sunday's and, Reece is going to start wondering if we're good enough for him. 

Vesper likes this

6 minutes ago, ja1 said:

a Reece James at top potential is great for Sarri’s system but also good for any system in general. As he is capable of being a defensive RB, a two-way RB, or a buccaneering overlapping RB (or RWB).

Reece is also an outstanding CB.

Vesper likes this

8 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Reece is also an outstanding CB.

This is true but I think he is wasted there as he also has qualities on the ball, in crossing and in dribbling..full back gets the best out of all his qualities. 

Vesper likes this

55 minutes ago, ja1 said:

This is true but I think he is wasted there as he also has qualities on the ball, in crossing and in dribbling..full back gets the best out of all his qualities. 

In a 3-4-3 he's been devastating at CB. Outstanding defensively and joining to great effect, then spreading passes to make David Luiz green with envy. All of this was, of course, at development level. :)

I was shocked when I read the headline. Reece is so level headed, he more or less never puts a foot wrong. Having read the tweet itself however, it's pretty clear that he was liking the idea that he and Ola should be fullback options at Chelsea. I don't think he meant it too seriously either; just sort of saying thank you to the person who posted something nice about him. Hope that, from now on, Reece accepts that it's best only to 'like' a comment if you mean to show support for everything it says.

For all any of us know Reece agrees with every word of that tweet, but I would almost guarantee that he knows better than to make such opinions public. Lesson learned hopefully.

P.S. I'm grateful to Vesper for making me aware that Torino have a solid option to buy Ola at the end of the season, and that they've said they mean to exercise it. That said, while Chelsea's hands may be tied on this, the player will always have an option as to whether or not he wants to make the move permanent. That being so, we at least have the chance to try to persuade him to choose London blue, over Turin red. I'm sure the consensus opinion here will be that there's no chance of the club pulling that off but at least it allows a glimmer of hope. Assuming the decision makers want him of course.

Vesper likes this

26 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I was shocked when I read the headline. Reece is so level headed, he more or less never puts a foot wrong. Having read the tweet itself however, it's pretty clear that he was liking the idea that he and Ola should be fullback options at Chelsea. I don't think he meant it too seriously either; just sort of saying thank you to the person who posted something nice about him. Hope that, from now on, Reece accepts that it's best only to 'like' a comment if you mean to show support for everything it says.

For all any of us know Reece agrees with every word of that tweet, but I would almost guarantee that he knows better than to make such opinions public. Lesson learned hopefully.

P.S. I'm grateful to Vesper for making me aware that Torino have a solid option to but him at the end of the season, and that they've said they mean to exercise it. That said, while Chelsea's hands may be tied on this, the player will always have an option as to whether or not he wants to make the move permanent. That being so, we at least have the chance to try to persuade him to choose London blue, over Turin red. I'm sure the consensus opinion here will be that there's no chance of the club pulling that off but at least it allows a glimmer of hope. Assuming the decision makers want him of course.

Only problem is that they are both RB's not a mixed pair.

LB's and RWers (both SHOULD normally be left-footed, especially LB's, far more than RWers although I LOVE inverted left-footed RWers) are a bish to find do the structural population distribution in terms of footedness. There simply are far fewer left-footed (let alone ambipedal) people on the planet that right-footed.

That all said, I am sold on Reece, Magnificent young player. I think he should be our day one starter at RB. Toss him to the wolves, he is ready and I will so put up with a learning curve.

OhForAGreavsie likes this

Think Derby will go for him next season. Jody Morris is a huge fan obviously. Another loan would be good because he would play every week, if Derby go up even better.

9 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Think Derby will go for him next season. Jody Morris is a huge fan obviously. Another loan would be good because he would play every week, if Derby go up even better.

Jody Morris for our next manager, my wifey has convinced me.

Would prefer Julian Nagelsmann, but he is going to RB Leipzig.