24. Reece James

the wes

14 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Life mate haha. TC has always been great for high quality content, especially during its peak but there's still lots of great observers of the game about here lurking. Haven't had much time to post but have been reading on the off/monitoring.

Super excited to finally see the academy guys coming through, a couple of us who have watched the youth over the years have begged for this. Couldn't have happened to a more talented bunch. Here's a question for you. 

Do you reckon the previous generation, if they had this chance would've looked as much of a real deal as these lot coming through now? Essentially, current bunch (James, CHO, Mount, Tomori, Gilmour etc.) vs the generation before who were just as good at youth football level (RLC, Christensen, Chalobah, Musonda, Ake, Dasilva etc.)? Obviously we have RLC and Christensen who've come through, just wondering what'd be like if these guys also had this sort of faith put behind them. 

Can't believe we're sitting in third at the international break. 

Chalobah and Musonda are difficult ones because they've been plagued with injuries and they have had some difficult loan spells. With the exception of CHO, all the other youngsters breaking through this season have come back from very successful loan spells (even the likes of Zouma and Batshuayi came back from good loans too) which I think has helped them to start confident and kick on.

I think if Chalobah was patient he would have had a bigger role in Conte's second season as I don't think we would have brought Drinkwater without him leaving. With Matic leaving and Bakayoko's struggles, I believe he would have got some good game time.

Ake for me is probably the biggest one of the group that got away because on the back of a good loan with Bournemouth, he should have been given more chances. Ironically if he had stayed at Bournemouth the whole season it would be interesting if Conte would have chosen him over Christensen or kept them both on. Luiz and Cahill both fell out of favour in that year too, opportunities would have arisen.

The other one I guess which is a real 'what if' is Solanke. He obviously hasn't reached the levels expected at Liverpool or Bournemouth yet but there will be that question mark if he would have gone down the route that Tammy did, learning his craft in the Championship for a couple of seasons and likely returning a more rounded player. He was prolific at youth level but Tammy went a different direction to him in his development and it has worked out much better for him.

13 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Chalobah and Musonda are difficult ones because they've been plagued with injuries and they have had some difficult loan spells. With the exception of CHO, all the other youngsters breaking through this season have come back from very successful loan spells (even the likes of Zouma and Batshuayi came back from good loans too) which I think has helped them to start confident and kick on.

I think if Chalobah was patient he would have had a bigger role in Conte's second season as I don't think we would have brought Drinkwater without him leaving. With Matic leaving and Bakayoko's struggles, I believe he would have got some good game time.

Ake for me is probably the biggest one of the group that got away because on the back of a good loan with Bournemouth, he should have been given more chances. Ironically if he had stayed at Bournemouth the whole season it would be interesting if Conte would have chosen him over Christensen or kept them both on. Luiz and Cahill both fell out of favour in that year too, opportunities would have arisen.

The other one I guess which is a real 'what if' is Solanke. He obviously hasn't reached the levels expected at Liverpool or Bournemouth yet but there will be that question mark if he would have gone down the route that Tammy did, learning his craft in the Championship for a couple of seasons and likely returning a more rounded player. He was prolific at youth level but Tammy went a different direction to him in his development and it has worked out much better for him.

Re: Solanke, he was more exciting at youth level indeed. Arguably more naturally talented than Tammy but what I love the most about Tammy is his mentality which Solanke doesn't have. He's always striving to improve and demands excellence and really fights for his spot. That's why he's left Solanke behind now. 

32 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Re: Solanke, he was more exciting at youth level indeed. Arguably more naturally talented than Tammy but what I love the most about Tammy is his mentality which Solanke doesn't have. He's always striving to improve and demands excellence and really fights for his spot. That's why he's left Solanke behind now. 

Personally I still think Solanke is one of the more overrated English youngsters to have come through in the last 5 seasons.

Youth level and senior football is two totally different things, Solanke hasnt even done anything relative at Bournemouth and has only scored 1 PL goal his whole career playing for us, Liverpool and now Bournemouth.

Even Klopp preferred keeping Origi ahead of him. How he has an England cap is beyond a joke as well in all fairness. 

29 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

I disagree he is/was more naturally talented than Tammy. Similar records at youth level, but I was usually underwhelmed by Solanke at youth level. Tended to not be involved in play but pop up with a penalty or a short range goal. Tammy since the moment he made is U21s debut showed his characteristic work rate and tenacity, and played out wide plus through the middle - testament to his all round game.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

James played well on Saturday but christ, why did they make out as if Zaha is Messi? Zaha has been crap all season. Bigger test for James will be Sterling at City, if he does play. 

His productivity has been poor, but either way as a fullback, you would hate to come up against him. Because he usually causes problems with his dribbling, pace and strength and draws fouls. As Jenas analyzed, there was a couple times Zaha got the better of him, but James did well in terms of not committing and doing what Zaha does really well and drawing a penalty etc.

23 minutes ago, Stats said:

His productivity has been poor, but either way as a fullback, you would hate to come up against him. Because he usually causes problems with his dribbling, pace and strength and draws fouls. As Jenas analyzed, there was a couple times Zaha got the better of him, but James did well in terms of not committing and doing what Zaha does really well and drawing a penalty etc.

It's not just his productivity, his overall general performances have been poor. He certainly has not been playing as well as he did in the past (not saying he's great/world class, mind). 

On 11/11/2019 at 6:31 PM, the wes said:

Roy Hodgson has told goal.com that he was so impressed Reece James at the weekend.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/11/11/roy-hodgson-names-the-chelsea-player-who-really-impressed-him/

Hodgson's no fool. As I said at the time, he sold a fullback for a monster fee, then tried to buy a better one for less than half the price. He must have known deep down that he was never going to get Reece, but credit to him for trying.

5 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

So which one of Alexander-Arnold and James will play as midfielder for England. Judging by how things are going, both of them will be first names on the team sheet within 12 months

Given the midfield options in England I say the best option is 343 with Reece RCB and Trent RWB.

• 2 weeks later...