Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

On 11/5/2018 at 4:37 PM, El P. said:

If Modrić have played in advanced position and in high-possession based team like Kovačić does, he would get in a lot more chances. In that case he would score more goals because he is better shooter than Kova. 7-8 goals, I would say, if you just swap him and Kova in this CFC team.

I never got that feel about Modric. He is world class in ball retention, runs and passing. But to me Rakitic is way better shooter for example. But yeah both are better than Kova. 

Speaking of Kova, it will be interesting what we do in the summer. I love his technical ability, its miles ahead of RLC or Barkley, but right now it feels he would be more of a luxury signing with all the midfielders we have. Barkley managed to bench him. Yet again without Kova, our midfield again becomes rather weak in quality.

Hopefuly he improves, cements his spot in 11 and gives some scoring proweness to his game.  

It's a no brainer, he is absolute quality and we should be buying him without hesitation.

He came on last night and took the tempo of the game into his control, he's such a good player.

4 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

I never got that feel about Modric. He is world class in ball retention, runs and passing. But to me Rakitic is way better shooter for example. But yeah both are better than Kova. 

Speaking of Kova, it will be interesting what we do in the summer. I love his technical ability, its miles ahead of RLC or Barkley, but right now it feels he would be more of a luxury signing with all the midfielders we have. Barkley managed to bench him. Yet again without Kova, our midfield again becomes rather weak in quality.

Hopefuly he improves, cements his spot in 11 and gives some scoring proweness to his game.  

I think we would see more stuff like this if he played closer to goal... he has a decent shot. 

4 hours ago, Tautvix said:

Thankfully we only have Kovacic on loan. He's just seriously overrated.

I can agree with that if some consider him a match winner, which he is not IMO.

However, I think the issue is that he is too similar to jorginho, and the two plus Kante makes just too much of the same thing. That's the reason Ross often improves the team when he comes on, with his directness.

Kovacic is a great player! I hope he stays beyond this season as well! Class act on and off the pitch.

Knee jerk reactions on here after a game where the team was below average. Kova is not a goal scorer, and we knew that from the beginning. However, he is a terrific dribbler that can get the ball in midfield and carry it forward with speed past 1-3 players. He has great technical qualities and can pass the ball well. He also seems to never lose the ball. At least not because of a great error of his part. That is the only similarity I see with him and Jorginho in playing style (does not lose the ball nearly at all).

Only complaint is that he sometimes jumps into sliding tackles when there is a risk that he might foul the player seriously. I think he made a tackle like this against Everton where if he had hit the player, he would probably have gotten a red.

8 hours ago, DDA said:

I honestly thought the bad criticism of Kovacic was sincere sarcasm. Weird is an understatement.

heh I don't think it's criticism on kovacic directly - one must be blind not to see he's a very good player.

The issue is regarding the team setup and the fact we have zero goals coming from our 3 CMs. Heh David Luiz is more likely to score, or even assist with a long ball, than any of them.

5 minutes ago, manpe said:

Does. Not. Bring. ANYTHING.

Your football knowledge is severely lacking.

Massively so. For some it is only about goals goals goals. They would probably trade Toni Kroos for Bas Dost cuz Kroos only scores 3 goals a year on average from Real over the last 5, 6 years, lolol