test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason

closed Chelsea 1-1 Barcelona

Started by Jason,

Man of the Match   29 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match

• Courtois
    • Moses
    • Azpilicueta
    • Christensen
    • Rudiger
    • Alonso
    • Kante
    • Fabregas
    • Willian
    • Hazard
    • Pedro
    • Morata (sub)
    • Drinkwater (sub)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

530 posts in this topic

Honestly, I am not confident about this match unlike our last meeting with Barca at the bridge, though we were in a deeper mess at that time. We had so many experienced players back in those time. But I hope we can grind some results.

Even in the "Mourinho season" I had hopes about making it big in the UCL. Now, I just cannot feel it at all. There's no confidence around the team. We are mid-February and still have no clear starting 11, specially because of the injuries.

Barca, on the other hand, are having their best season in years. Can't beat them with their rejects. 0-3 is my prediction.

The Chels and Supermonkey92 like this

57 minutes ago, nachikethas said:

Honestly, I am not confident about this match unlike our last meeting with Barca at the bridge, though we were in a deeper mess at that time. We had so many experienced players back in those time. But I hope we can grind some results.

this match up was bound to happen again sooner or later, its been long overdue, our previous meetings with Barca were nothing short of epic, damn i miss those days, time flies so fast.

Regarding Tuesday's game, i feel we have a good chance against them, need to start on the right foot, we wont see too much of the ball, but thats's why we need to be at our absolute focused best, try to soak any kind of pressure, try to force them in to any mistakes and hit them on the break with devastating effect. We can do this, we have the players for it, we just need to have that winning mentality that got us trough many tough teams in the past. Barca hates playing vs us as much as we hate playing vs them, we are their kriptonite, so lets believe in this team and give it a good go for old times sake. KTBFFH and goodluck to the lads, lets hope for a great night at the Bridge. Cheers

I think some people here haven't watched barca play for a while and I watched them against Eibar last week and against Madrid in el classico.

They are no longer the old Barcelona team who will boss the game the way City does to team. They don't press up high, they even tend to sit deep. I am talking about  against eibar here.

They are not a possession based team at all,  they looks very weird almost dysfunctional a times. With the ball they can still look pretty good because when you have Messi and Suarez as your front 2 you will always has a chance.

Without the ball, suarez and especially Messi barely run at all. They defend with 8 player sitting deep and then launch counter attack. 

On 17/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, Supermonkey92 said:

Why no Giroud? Or is this your prediction of what Conte will choose rather than your choice? 

my choice :)  morata is a champions' "animal" 

Supermonkey92 likes this

2 hours ago, Cosmin said:

Even in the "Mourinho season" I had hopes about making it big in the UCL. Now, I just cannot feel it at all. There's no confidence around the team. We are mid-February and still have no clear starting 11, specially because of the injuries.

Barca, on the other hand, are having their best season in years. Can't beat them with their rejects. 0-3 is my prediction.

probably barcelona will pass. but not easily that's for sure 

DYC. likes this

Courtois - Azpilicueta, Christensen, Cahill - Moses, Drinkwater, Kante, Alonso - Willian, Giroud, Hazard.

That's the line up we will see tomorrow, only thing different could be Fabregas instead of Willian.

I really don't care losing 0-1 on both matches. I just don't want it be a tie for them to remember (like Barca-Bayern\Arsenal). It also means Messi can't score.

It would be nice though to see some sort of attacking threat from us during those 180 minutes.

3 hours ago, El P. said:

Courtois - Azpilicueta, Christensen, Cahill - Moses, Drinkwater, Kante, Alonso - Willian, Giroud, Hazard.

That's the line up we will see tomorrow, only thing different could be Fabregas instead of Willian.

Pedro was taken off early in the second half on Friday. Possibly saving him for Barca?

Also, I am certain Morata will start. He is our best striker and the effort he puts in by running the channels and closing down defenders will be needed vs Barca

Giroud will be an excellent foil to bring on in the latter stages if the game is on the edge or if Chelsea has to go for goals

I just keep repeating in my head "please don't get embarrassed, please don't get embarrassed." Losing to one of the 2-3 best sides in Europe in a hard fought, narrow defeat would be sad in the moment but not unexpected. If we just get hammered, let them have 80% of the ball, play like cowards who are scared of the occasion, and lose by 3-4 goals at home it'll be depressing and that same feeling of Chelsea being in crisis is back.

And then we have United, City, and our kryptonite Crystal Palace all in a row. Things could look pretty fucking grim in a couple weeks time depending on results. 

bigbluewillie and laura90 like this

28070714_10156349804322259_4777599987423

How times have changed since we last played them at the Bridge. 

Except for Cahill, all of these guys are gone. I get the chills seeing Cech, Terry, Lampard, Cole and Drogs.

Maybe that team wasn't better than the current one, in terms of quality, but its spirit and personality was levels above. 

King11Didier and Johnnyeye like this

2 hours ago, Jason said:

At this point I'm very confused about who's actually fit and who's not. I thought Barkley was out for weeks or months and yet here he's training normally. Morata was supposed to be out for quite a while, possibly the whole season, and then suddenly he played in the next game. Luiz has been suffering from mystery injury, or "injury", and now after terrible performances, Bakayoko seems to be having the same problem.

Is this all just mind games or Conte's way of dealing with non-performing players?

I think some people here haven't watched barca play for a while and I watched them against Eibar last week and against Madrid in el classico.

They are no longer the old Barcelona team who will boss the game the way City does to team. They don't press up high, they even tend to sit deep. I am talking about  against eibar here.

They are not a possession based team at all,  they looks very weird almost dysfunctional a times. With the ball they can still look pretty good because when you have Messi and Suarez as your front 2 you will always has a chance.

Without the ball, suarez and especially Messi barely run at all. They defend with 8 player sitting deep and then launch counter attack. 

They didn't need to exert themselves over the weekend. I agree with the fact they are a completely different beast now and aren't anywhere near as attacking as they once were.

The first goal tomorrow will be a deciding factor in the tie. Barca haven't been behind in many games this season, so it will be interesting to see how they fair should we take the lead.

Anyone else want to see Giroud start over Morata? 

I do. We all know Barcelona struggle against physical teams, so he is the ideal choice in that regard. Morata is more suited to the away leg where we are hopefully still in with a shout and looking to hit them on the counter.