Emerson Palmieri

Unionjack

If this guy can defend with a good standard and get forward and be dangerous with his ability and deliveries, Alonso will be in for a real challenge.

I like Alonso, going forward he is very good, little suspect defensively and I always think he lacks a yard of pace.   Set pieces though, thumbs up

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

Low fee, that's nice. Let's hope he can turn out like Azpi - cheap low profile signing turning world class. He is also young enough to shake off that injury fairly easily, by next season it could be like he never had it. This could turn out to be a real coup, fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

If this guy can defend with a good standard and get forward and be dangerous with his ability and deliveries, Alonso will be in for a real challenge.

I like Alonso, going forward he is very good, little suspect defensively and I always think he lacks a yard of pace.   Set pieces though, thumbs up

If only we could find some way to merge Alonso and Moses. Would have a decent WB then!

Good talent. Did not know him at all prior to 16/17 but he impressed me the few times I caught Roma last season.

The only problem I have with this move is the fact that Chelsea is the last place you wanna go after a serious injury. Alonso is an established member of the team (I know, I know) so he'll most likely get a few chances here and there 'to prove himself'. Him not being big and strong, and not a natural work-horse, he'll be tossed out (meaning sent to Loanland) if he doesn't perform.

But I'm happy Chels still seem capable of valuing technique and creativity. Even more so in this case, offensive qualities in a non-forward. I don't know if he's good enough but I like his skillset. More of the same, please.

And please revert back to a back four. Though that's probably too much to ask for.

21 minutes ago, DYC. said:

And please revert back to a back four. Though that's probably too much to ask for.

Wasn’t comfortable with Alonso at LB. not good enough defensively. I’d like to see a back line of Emerson Christensen Rüdiger Azpilicueta though. Pretty good. 

18 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Wasn’t comfortable with Alonso at LB. not good enough defensively. I’d like to see a back line of Emerson Christensen Rüdiger Azpilicueta though. Pretty good. 

Then i hope we sign a RB and put Azpi next to Christensen.

27 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Rudiger doesn't impress me. Solid player but a back-up for me.

I'd like to see Christensen-Luiz. I want to see how Christensen's calm presence affects him.

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Then i hope we sign a RB and put Azpi next to Christensen.

You really think that could work? I've liked the idea of that CB duo for a while but I don't know if this Chelsea team can pull that off.

(City could easily make that work because of their style.)

5 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Rudiger doesn't impress me. Solid player but a back-up for me.

I'd like to see Christensen-Luiz. I want to see how Christensen's calm presence affects him.

You really think that could work? I've liked the idea of that CB duo for a while but I don't know if this Chelsea team can pull that off.

(City could easily make that work because of their style.)

I honestly do, there were also question marks on if he would have worked at LB and RCB but he took to it like a duck to water. I think he could be put in any (defensive) position and pull it off.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

I honestly do, there were also question marks on if he would have worked at LB and RCB but he took to it like a duck to water. I think he could be put in any (defensive) position and pull it off.

In terms of pure defensive ability he's fantastic. But you don't think the team would suffer aerially? And Christensen-Azpilicueta is a combo that can be bullied by power and aggression. Alongside a Terry or Kompany, I'd always go for it. But alongside Christensen? I don't know. Then you have to make sure you win the ball much higher up the pitch than Chelsea currently do.

I know its only a youtube video up there and they only show good things not any mistakes etc but he looks a few yards faster than Alonso and prepared to take risks in 1v1s. Only issue for me is he seems to come infield a lot as opposed to stay wide based on those clips but I reckon this is a Conte driven signing and if we get it done for 20m and get Dzeko too I'd be happy enough to see what like, he can't be any worse than Kenedy or Baba, plus gives Alonso competition and possibility to rotate or take him out if hes playing poorly.

People concerned about his ACL injury should remember Zouma and Rudiger both done theirs in the past 3 years and really haven't lost any speed. Bolasie, Callum Wilson also the same in recent times. I doubt the club would pursue somebody who they imagined wasn't fully recovered or majorly affected by such a thing.