test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

the wes

19. Mason Mount

Started by the wes,

677 posts in this topic

Chelsea fans will love what Mason Mount's dad has said after Spurs victory

Mount was an impressive performer against Spurs at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Sunday and his dad has used social media to have his say on the match and Jose Mourinho

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/chelsea-fans-love-what-mason-17463209

Last season it was Jorginho that drove me mad. This season is Mount. We started the decade with Essien, Ballack and Lampard in the midfield. We ended the season with Jorginho and Mason Mount. It sums up the whole decade in terms of squad quality regression. 

kellzfresh likes this

2 hours ago, Henrique said:

Last season it was Jorginho that drove me mad. This season is Mount. We started the decade with Essien, Ballack and Lampard in the midfield. We ended the season with Jorginho and Mason Mount. It sums up the whole decade in terms of squad quality regression. 

Far beyond that fall is at LB.

From the world's best in the last 20 years (Ashley Cole) to the collective pile of dung that is Emerson, Alonso, and the woefully inept (as he is out of position) Azpi.

Henrique likes this

We could easily upgrade on Willian for the last five years and we never did. I'm afraid it's going to be the same with Mount. 

4 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

We could easily upgrade on Willian for the last five years and we never did. 

Everton-v-Chelsea-Premier-League.jpg

Maddison and Grealish together one cap for England. Mount 6. How crazy is that!? 

41 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Maddison and Grealish together one cap for England. Mount 6. How crazy is that!? 

Maddison is a vastly superior player atm. Grealish is a better than Mount atm as well.

That may change someday, but Mount is regressing for the past several months. He is very uncreative, the other 2 are super creative. I am sure the Mount fan club will toss some shade my way. I can't be arsed over it.

NikkiCFC likes this

13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Maddison is a vastly superior player atm. Grealish is a better than Mount atm as well.

That may change someday, but Mount is regressing for the past several months. He is very uncreative, the other 2 are super creative. I am sure the Mount fan club will toss some shade my way. I can't be arsed over it.

Most likely they won't. I noticed people are for some reason afraid to criticize Mount. Not only that, they won't even debate about him because deep down they know the truth. 

Vesper likes this

29 minutes ago, Vesper said:

This is all true. Mason's best contributions come when we are out of possession. In moments where we need precision or finesse on the ball, Mason almost always almost gets it right. It's harsh but, in world where people get paid multi-millions for getting it done, almost is not the answer.

On 09/01/2020 at 10:00 PM, OhForAGreavsie said:

This is all true. Mason's best contributions come when we are out of possession. In moments where we need precision or finesse on the ball, Mason almost always almost gets it right. It's harsh but, in world where people get paid multi-millions for getting it done, almost is not the answer.

What do you mean? Nobody ever has and never will always get it right, almost always is the best you can realistically get from anybody. People who are paid big money don't always get things done and they don't have to. I'm struggling to see your point here, at first I even thought you were praising him.

2 hours ago, manpe said:

What do you mean? Nobody ever has and never will always get it right, almost always is the best you can realistically get from anybody. People who are paid big money don't always get things done and they don't have to. I'm struggling to see your point here, at first I even thought you were praising him.

Mate, you are one of the oldest members in this forum and you probably remember that the likes of Oriol Romeu and Gael Kakuta were once considered the future of the club in this forum, and you will also remember that Mikel was once called here "midfield maestro", Matic was considered "a godlike midfielder" and Oscar was hyped to death and even Schurrle was considered the best player in 2014 WC by many. I would like to hear from you what you think about Mason Mount, because to be honest he is probably the most average starting XI I've seen playing for Chelsea since I started following the club in 2004, and the praise he gets from fans reminds me of the praise those players I mentioned received before. 

He's bloody 21 and playing his first season in the premier league, playing for a top 6 club on a regular basis. 

Some people need to get a grip 

Vesper and Stats like this

3 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He's bloody 21 and playing his first season in the premier league, playing for a top 6 club on a regular basis. 

Some people need to get a grip 

James, Tomori and my man Abraham are 20/22 years and are better than Mount. He is playing on a regular basis because Lampard will play him no matter what.

For me he is like Oscar: great work rate, and thats It, but Oscar was a better footballer when he bad the ball, he was more skilled and had a better vision than Mount.

On 14/01/2020 at 10:00 PM, manpe said:

Sorry for being unclear; and there I was thinking I'd found a good turn of phrase. Before I clarify let me say I thought Mason had a very good game at the weekend. 

I'm not saying Mason gets it right almost all of the time. I'm saying that he ALMOST gets it right, almost all of the time. In other words, his attempts at decisive contributions almost work out, but not quite. They just fail to split the defenders, are just over hit, or are a split second too late, and so on. That's not an exhaustive list, but I hope it illustrates the opinion I'm offering.

No one gets these things right all the time, but Mason's conversion rate is too low. His off the ball stuff and his willingness to play the uncomplicated continuity pass, and play it quickly, make a contribution to a lot of what we do, but inevitably there are moments where excellence in execution is necessary and, in the main, Mason is not connecting with too many of those chances. This, in my opinion, is the missing piece in Mason's game at the moment.

manpe and Vesper like this

On 15/01/2020 at 2:17 AM, Henrique said:

Mate, you are one of the oldest members in this forum and you probably remember that the likes of Oriol Romeu and Gael Kakuta were once considered the future of the club in this forum, and you will also remember that Mikel was once called here "midfield maestro", Matic was considered "a godlike midfielder" and Oscar was hyped to death and even Schurrle was considered the best player in 2014 WC by many. I would like to hear from you what you think about Mason Mount, because to be honest he is probably the most average starting XI I've seen playing for Chelsea since I started following the club in 2004, and the praise he gets from fans reminds me of the praise those players I mentioned received before. 

I'm not his biggest fan nor am I "against" him. I like your comparison with Oscar, this is exactly who he reminds me of right now. His off the ball work rate is great and definitely a nice thing to have in a player, but now more than ever players (especially midfielders) need to be great on the ball too. In Mason's case I think he lacks in delivering final balls and offensive sharpness in general. I fully agree with Greavsie on what he said above, that he gets the right ideas but too often fails in delivering them. If he was 24+ I'd want him gone right now, but I have hope that he improves massively in every aspect. He has the tools for it, needs to have the right mentality to make it work, only time will tell. Tbh I wouldn't be impressed if he was an import player of the same age, but since I very much want our academy graduates to succeed, then I am willing to be very patient with him and the rest. One thing is for sure, Lampard definitely believes in him and I believe in Lampard. :P

20 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Sorry for being unclear; and there I was thinking I'd found a good turn of phrase. Before I clarify let me say I thought Mason had a very good game at the weekend. 

I'm not saying Mason gets it right almost all of the time. I'm saying that he ALMOST gets it right, almost all of the time. In other words, his attempts at decisive contributions almost work out, but not quite. They just fail to split the defenders, are just over hit, or are a split second too late, and so on. That's not an exhaustive list, but I hope it illustrates the opinion I'm offering.

No one gets these things right all the time, but Mason's conversion rate is too low. His off the ball stuff and his willingness to play the uncomplicated continuity pass, and play it quickly, make a contribution to a lot of what we do, but inevitably there are moments where excellence in execution is necessary and, in the main, Mason is not connecting with too many of those chances. This, in my opinion, is the missing piece in Mason's game at the moment.

That makes much more sense. :) 

OhForAGreavsie likes this

That makes much more sense.  
Funny Thing is that Mount also reminds me of Oscar. This is what I wrote on Mount couple of weeks ago.

Mount reminds me of Oscar. Great at pressing and pretty good at shooting. That's it. Zero creativity, which is something needed to make a good no. 10 and is also needed here at Chelsea because we don't have Creative players.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

So, some people start realising that both have very similar strenghts and weaknesses.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Vesper likes this